IGNORED

Found something....

emkay

Here's a zip of Zlew - No Sacrifices No heroics. By means of asapconv, it contains the sap file, a wav rendition and an xex file to be played on real hardware!

@irgendwer, makary is astonishing too! And without samples. But most parts of NSNH is also pure pokey. The 12K sample bank is mostly drums.

zlew.zip

Edited by ivop
  • Like 2

Yeah well, zlew did not distribute his protracker 2.4 file. But he did release a sap file, which in turn can be converted back to an xex file to be played back on a real Atari. Which I just did BTW and it sounds amazing! And it's not even my type of music.

I guess there isn't a native A8 app to play SAP files? I do see one for almost every other platform imaginable including the Atari ST. Kinda funny when it needs to be converted to play on a system with an actual Pokey chip. So is there any logistical reason behind there not being an A8 player? Is it too memory intensive to do the conversion on the fly?

Here's a zip of Zlew - No Sacrifices No heroics. By means of asapconv, it contains the sap file, a wav rendition and an xex file to be played on real hardware!

@irgendwer, makary is astonishing too! And without samples. But most parts of NSNH is also pure pokey. The 12K sample bank is mostly drums.

playing on ntsc with side or avg, xex play well for almost the whole time but things go really bad towards the end.... anyone else play all the way though and compare against song on the botb site?

I guess there isn't a native A8 app to play SAP files? I do see one for almost every other platform imaginable including the Atari ST. Kinda funny when it needs to be converted to play on a system with an actual Pokey chip. So is there any logistical reason behind there not being an A8 player? Is it too memory intensive to do the conversion on the fly?

I think it should be possible to write a native SAP player, but there are probably some restrictions. Some tunes load in the area of DOS or in the RAM under the OS ROM, but theoretically even those could be catered for by a clever algorithm that loads it some place else and relocated later.

I think it should be possible to write a native SAP player, but there are probably some restrictions. Some tunes load in the area of DOS or in the RAM under the OS ROM, but theoretically even those could be catered for by a clever algorithm that loads it some place else and relocated later.

Might be easiest to just make one that requires at least a 130XE (or expanded RAM). That way you have 64K of undisturbed RAM to utilize, which could be where the converted song is placed, acting as a buffer.

• Like 1

Think I am blind, but I do not see the EXE/XEX there - do we have to build it first ?!? If so, I cannot do that (dunno how). But if someone does have SapEmu V0.3, please upload the EXE/XEX here... (the latest version I have is 0.2)...

Last not least, the SAP players/converters on the PC assume the full 64k base RAM of an XL/XE is usable (which is not in reality!), thus some SAP files will not play with SAPemu, allthough it is running on a min. 128k machine...

Think I am blind, but I do not see the EXE/XEX there - do we have to build it first ?!? If so, I cannot do that (dunno how). But if someone does have SapEmu V0.3, please upload the EXE/XEX here... (the latest version I have is 0.2)...

Last not least, the SAP players/converters on the PC assume the full 64k base RAM of an XL/XE is usable (which is not in reality!), thus some SAP files will not play with SAPemu, allthough it is running on a min. 128k machine...

https://github.com/epi/sapemu/releases

As far as I know it was just a proof of concept.