IGNORED

Selling my Roland Sound Canvas... yup...

82-T/A

Interesting..I've got both my MT-32 and MT-200 setup for actual use on my current PC. But in my full size tower sits an LAPC-I and in a box elsewhere sits my SCB-55 I bought for my SB-16 that hasn't been used in I couldn't tell you how long now. Maybe I need to round that bad boy up...hmm...

Interesting..I've got both my MT-32 and MT-200 setup for actual use on my current PC. But in my full size tower sits an LAPC-I and in a box elsewhere sits my SCB-55 I bought for my SB-16 that hasn't been used in I couldn't tell you how long now. Maybe I need to round that bad boy up...hmm...

The "holy grail" for playing vintage computer games is the Roland SCC-1. There's one on eBay right now selling for ~$730. It's not mind, and I have no intention of ever selling it, but yeah... I just realized I had no need for the Roland Sound Canvas that I had.

And... one thing I found frustrating about the daughter boards is that they are not natively General MIDI compatible. Like, for example... Wing Commander, Ultima 6, and the old Sierra Games simply cannot use the Roland card in native DOS mode.. (you have to window them through Windows and have the MPU401.DRV installed). But it will still work for the newer DOS games like... Wing Commander 3, or... Ultima 7, or games like DOOM and some such.

The "holy grail" for playing vintage computer games is the Roland SCC-1. There's one on eBay right now selling for ~$730. It's not mind, and I have no intention of ever selling it, but yeah... I just realized I had no need for the Roland Sound Canvas that I had.

And... one thing I found frustrating about the daughter boards is that they are not natively General MIDI compatible. Like, for example... Wing Commander, Ultima 6, and the old Sierra Games simply cannot use the Roland card in native DOS mode.. (you have to window them through Windows and have the MPU401.DRV installed). But it will still work for the newer DOS games like... Wing Commander 3, or... Ultima 7, or games like DOOM and some such.

That is because those older Sierra games and the like required two things.. an actual MT-32 (I actually had a patch I could load up onto my SCB-55 to make it more MT-32 like back then), and an intelligent MPU controller. But yes, the SCB-55 actually worked great in DOS but only for games that supported general midi. I used to have hanging note issues with it though. Same with my LAPC-I when I last used it as well about 3 or 4 years ago now. My LAPC-I is not boxed complete. I actually picked it up in a nondescript cardboard box that if fit in from a thrift store in the early 2000s for $10. No software or manuals. But luckily I was able to figure it out easy enough.

I would not consider the SCC-1 to be the best card for the vintage games either. It has the same MT-32 emulation that an SC-55 module has. In other words..it is okay for game that make use of the stock instrument banks of the MT-32. But very poor for sierra games and others that loaded up custom sysex commands and patches to the mt-32. That is why I own both an MT-32 and MT-200 (SC-55 module with built in sequencing and recording ability using floppy disks) for all my DOS gaming wants. At least through DOSbox with a USB to Midi adapter.