Photo

Greetings and a heartfelt thank you to this community!

newbie ti-99/4a

8 replies to this topic

#1 twoodland OFFLINE  

twoodland

Moonsweeper

• 277 posts

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2018 1:58 PM

Good afternoon,

I just wanted to introduce myself and to thank everyone for being a part of this wonderful active community of TI-99/4A users and developers.  My name is Tim and I just dug out my console after it having been in storage for over 35 years.  It was my first home computer.  My older brother bought it as a present for me.  I had been wanting a computer for several years since seeing the TRS-80 in Radio Shack catalogs and was elated to receive it for Christmas in 1982.  It was a great addition to my TI collection (Spirit of 76 calc, Little Professor, and Speak & Spell).  I spent many joyful nights playing games, hand jamming programs and writing programs of my own.  

In 1986, I got a job as a CAD/CAM systems engineer and soon the TI was neglected.  It always followed me whenever I moved but never made it out of storage till last week when I stumbled upon Omega's TIPI YouTube video.  After watching that I was hooked and inspired to clean the cobwebs off my console and get it setup and running.

After un-boxing it, cleaning it, and checking it out a bit (power adapter and supply voltages, re-seating socketed chips, new arctic silver thermal compound)  , I decided to plug everything in and power it up.  Doh!  the console powered on but gave me the dreaded black screen, continuous tone error!  I am now waiting on my shipment of TMS4116-15NL RAM IC's, 16 Pin Dip IC Sockets and a TMS9918ANL VDP.  Hopefully this will breathe some life into it and allow me relive part of my youth again!

Again I would like to thank this community for not just keeping the TI-99 alive and well, but for all of the new developments, modifications and upgrades!  I hope to join you soon in communicating, learning, using, and contributing to this group.

Warm regards,

Tim 

#2 wolhess OFFLINE  

wolhess

Star Raider

• 82 posts

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2018 2:31 PM

Wellcome in this amazing community. I am here since last December and now I have three total different TI-99 systems and a lot of fun.

#3 Stuart OFFLINE  

Stuart

Dragonstomper

• 881 posts

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2018 3:33 PM

After un-boxing it, cleaning it, and checking it out a bit (power adapter and supply voltages, re-seating socketed chips, new arctic silver thermal compound)  , I decided to plug everything in and power it up.  Doh!  the console powered on but gave me the dreaded black screen, continuous tone error!  I am now waiting on my shipment of TMS4116-15NL RAM IC's, 16 Pin Dip IC Sockets and a TMS9918ANL VDP.  Hopefully this will breathe some life into it and allow me relive part of my youth again!

Welcome. By all means replace the VDP as that is already socketed, but the 4116 RAMs are not likely to be causing the problem you have (assuming none of them are pulling the power supply voltages down). A couple of people with the beeping problem have found one of the MCM6810 RAMs to be bad - you might want to try replacing those first. Also make sure the pins on all the socketed chips are clean.

Once you've got a picture, if it's corrupted, we got some diagrams somewhere to help you identify which of the 4116 RAMs is bad.

The keyboard connector cable tends to go brittle with age and can break as you take the console apart. If you find some keys don't work, check for breaks in the connector cable. Some types of keyboard (TI used several) can be temperamental as well after not being used for years.

#4 ti99iuc OFFLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,665 posts

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2018 3:44 PM

Welcome in the community Tim!
i really appreciated your presentation :)

I am Ciro and i am an enthusiast of the ti-99/4a since i was 8yo... Still a strong passion.

#5 twoodland OFFLINE  

twoodland

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 277 posts

Posted Wed Sep 5, 2018 4:02 PM

Wellcome in this amazing community. I am here since last December and now I have three total different TI-99 systems and a lot of fun.

Danke sehr aufmerksam wolhess. That is encouraging to hear!

Welcome. By all means replace the VDP as that is already socketed, but the 4116 RAMs are not likely to be causing the problem you have (assuming none of them are pulling the power supply voltages down). A couple of people with the beeping problem have found one of the MCM6810 RAMs to be bad - you might want to try replacing those first. Also make sure the pins on all the socketed chips are clean.

Once you've got a picture, if it's corrupted, we got some diagrams somewhere to help you identify which of the 4116 RAMs is bad.

The keyboard connector cable tends to go brittle with age and can break as you take the console apart. If you find some keys don't work, check for breaks in the connector cable. Some types of keyboard (TI used several) can be temperamental as well after not being used for years.

Thank you so much Dragonstomper. I appreciate the guidance.  I will start with the VDP, clean the socketed chip pins and check the RAM voltage before unsoldering anything.  I will look for a source for the MEM6810 RAMs.  I will also be very careful with the keyboard and keyboard ribbon cableCiro.

Welcome in the community Tim!
i really appreciated your presentation :)

I am Ciro and i am an enthusiast of the ti-99/4a since i was 8yo... Still a strong passion.

Grazie di cuore Ciro.  That is great to hear.

#6 --- Ω --- OFFLINE  

--- Ω ---

Hexacorerunner

• 14,003 posts

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2018 9:03 AM

Welcome aboard Tim!  I'm hoping you get the TI up and running soon!  You really picked a great time to come back... with all the new goodies and stuff.

Glad to see one of my videos had a positive result!  I get so little feedback on them, that I've been wondering if worth continuing to make them. 

#7 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,586 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2018 10:26 AM

Welcome to the Party!  Happy to see yet another TI'er coming back to the fold.

#8 twoodland OFFLINE  

twoodland

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 277 posts

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2018 10:37 AM

Welcome aboard Tim!  I'm hoping you get the TI up and running soon!  You really picked a great time to come back... with all the new goodies and stuff.

Glad to see one of my videos had a positive result!  I get so little feedback on them, that I've been wondering if worth continuing to make them. 

Thank you so much OmegaTI!  I am so glad that I saw your videos.  I apologize for being a lurker and not subscribing or liking them.  I have corrected that now.  I am so excited to get my console working again.  Once it is working, I am going to upgrade it with JediMatt42's 32K Sidecar, TIPI (both with black and silver cases), along with Matthew180's F18A MK2 when the licensing is resolved and becomes available.  I was also wanting to get Ralph Benzinger's Finalgrom99 when it comes back in stock on Arcadeshopper.  I am unsure if I would need it if I get the TIPI setup though.  I digress.  It is great to hear from you and I am glad you have pointed me to this community!

Take care,

Tim

#9 twoodland OFFLINE  

twoodland

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 277 posts

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2018 11:13 AM

Welcome to the Party!  Happy to see yet another TI'er coming back to the fold.

Thank you Shift838!  Happy to be here and looking forward to TI-ing again!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: newbie, ti-99/4a

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users