Photo

Compute! Apple Applications magazine. Anyone have?

Mosquito Madness..

14 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• 350 posts

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2018 1:53 AM

Anyone here have any copies of this magazine, or a complete set?

I'm looking for any of these, but also 1988 issues in particular. Trying to find a print-out of a game called "Mosquito Madness".

Thanks!!!

#2 cybernesto OFFLINE  

cybernesto

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:28 AM

You might be able to find a scan of this program here: https://archive.org/...ompute-magazine

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

#3 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,863 posts

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 4:20 PM

I think I have one or two issues, probably from around '88 but I don't know exactly. I don't recall seeing Mosquito Madness but I'll double check.

#4 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 10:06 PM

I sent an email to the Computer History Museum. On their website they state they have a few issues. I'll see what they say.

#5 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Fri Sep 7, 2018 10:07 PM

I think I have one or two issues, probably from around '88 but I don't know exactly. I don't recall seeing Mosquito Madness but I'll double check.

Thanks... Yeah lemmeno

#6 youxia ONLINE  

youxia

Dragonstomper

• 752 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 1:40 AM

I can download the 1-140 issue (I collect mags anyway) set but you'd have to give me a hint to at least in what year it was supposed to appear.

#7 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,844 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 3:52 AM

I keyword searched the standard Compute! magazines, pdf issues 1-168, didn't find text for Mosquito Madness. I also searched a ton of apple II PD stuff, no luck there either.

I may have more material to go through. So don't give up.

From how and where do you recall/remember seeing this game?

#8 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,863 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 5:18 AM

Sorry, nope, no Mosquito Madness. I have:

Spring/Summer '87 (Biker Dave, Picture Maker)

Dec '87 (Vulcan Mines, ProDesk, The Clipper, Numbers Construction Set)

Feb '88 (Laser Chess, Disk Alarm)

I always enjoy reading through computer magazines from the 80s.  I don't know how I was able to keep them all these years but I'm glad I did.

#9 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 1:04 PM

Thanks guys. One important thing to note is the is Compute's Apple Applications NOT the standard Compute magazines.

There was a low circulation for these (much lower then Compute)... It was a quarterly specific for the Apple II (like Compute's Gazette was for the C64).

It's much harder to find scans of these, although I have seen a few issues. Carlsson says it's in 1988 issues 1 and 2.

#10 BydoEmpire OFFLINE  

BydoEmpire

River Patroller

• 2,863 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 2:06 PM

It was a quarterly specific for the Apple II (like Compute's Gazette was for the C64).

FWIW, the one I have are Compute's Apple Applications. As noted, two of them have the month/year on the cover and one is just "Spring/Summer."  Not sure if they actually changed to monthly at some point or if they just changed how they're labelled.  I subscribed to Compute! but bought Apple Applications at the newsstand a few times when I got my //c.

Good luck, CaptainBreakout, I hope you find the game!

Edited by BydoEmpire, Sat Sep 8, 2018 2:07 PM.

#11 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 2:41 PM

Thank you BydoEmpire. Thanks for the info there. I might ask if you can send me a scan of Vulcan Mines... I can't remember if Ive got that on the compilation disks come to think of it. I'm out of town, and I'll check when I get back.

I hear you there... Wish I still had my copies. My father pitched em all ... Boxes of Compute, Nibble and A+. Another one of those regrettable moments when vintage stuff goes into Oblivion.

Haven't heard back yet from the Computer History Museum.

I'll post the three completed DSK images volumes of all the type-in I've found here in this thread, hopefully sooner rather than later.

#12 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 2:50 PM

I keyword searched the standard Compute! magazines, pdf issues 1-168, didn't find text for Mosquito Madness. I also searched a ton of apple II PD stuff, no luck there either.

I may have more material to go through. So don't give up.

From how and where do you recall/remember seeing this game?

I'm 99% sure it was a Compute type-in (looking like from an issue of Apple Applications). I don't know how it could have been anything else. I'm also fairly certain it had two or possibly three sub-programs, one being basic and the other being "machine language" entered with MLX. I think the ML part was called Mosquito.shapes and mosquito.ml or something.

There was another guy on applefritter who was looking for this a few years ago, along with Rat Race (which we eventually found).

(I was so happy to have found Rat Race, I spent a bunch of time improving the in-game menu. I'll post that version here eventually.)

Besides that one other guy, and surprisingly vivid memories, I can't find a trace of it online either.

I'll ask Carlsson if he saw it specifically listed in an index or something... He seemed to have an idea of what issue it was in.

Edited by CaptainBreakout, Sat Sep 8, 2018 2:53 PM.

#13 carlsson OFFLINE  

carlsson

Metagalactic Mule

• 8,449 posts

Posted Sat Sep 8, 2018 6:22 PM

Bombjack is missing Vol 6 No 1 - 3, whereas the Mosquito game should be in No 2. At least he has front covers so you know what to look for.

http://www.bombjack....mpute-apple.htm

Before you download to have a look, Mosquito Madness is not part of COMPUTE's Best of Apple 1988.

Edited by carlsson, Sat Sep 8, 2018 6:28 PM.

• jhd likes this

#14 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:39 PM

Today the Computer History Museum got back to me and they DO have a copy of this magazine. Stand by!

#15 CaptainBreakout ONLINE  

CaptainBreakout

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:13 PM

Hah-Cha!!!

So here it is... an Apple II game un-lost.

Was planning on typing it in, as time allowed in the near future, but if anyone wants to beat me to it, please do.

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users