IGNORED

What the Maniac Mansion intro would look & sound like on 7800 + POKEY :)

Fragmare

Huge Maniac Mansion fan, SCUMM based games are among some of my favorites. Awesome job with the cover - very cool. :cool:

The intro meteor story and scrolling title screen, appear to be inspired more on what would be experienced under the DOS 'enhanced' EGA version of the game. Though this demo provides a much more detailed moon than the aforementioned. In fact, the moon is better here than any other port's take on it. In contrast, the character select screen seems very similar to the C64 version of the game. Curious about why the hybrid graphical approach was chosen; inquiring minds want to know. :)

Thank you for taking the time to cover this under POKEY; very well done and excellent to hear it.

• Like 1

Huge Maniac Mansion fan, SCUMM based games are among some of my favorites. Awesome job with the cover - very cool. :cool:

The intro meteor story and scrolling title screen, appear to be inspired more on what would be experienced under the DOS 'enhanced' EGA version of the game. Though this demo provides a much more detailed moon than the aforementioned. In fact, the moon is better here than any other port's take on it. In contrast, the character select screen seems very similar to the C64 version of the game. Curious about why the hybrid graphical approach was chosen; inquiring minds want to know. :)

Thank you for taking the time to cover this under POKEY; very well done and excellent to hear it.

Thanks!

The intro meteor story is originally from the C64 version, I just added some color and gave it a better moon, since i was using 160b mode and the 7800 color palette is gorgeous. :) The scrolling logo is originally from the Windows Deluxe version, but obviously I resized and recolored it to fit 7800 160b mode specs. For the scrolling logo, i like the messy look of the later game logos over the block letters of the C64 original. The kids select screen is also from the C64 version, but recolored with the 7800 palette.

Edited by Fragmare
  • Like 3

Thanks!

The intro meteor story is originally from the C64 version, I just added some color and gave it a better moon, since i was using 160b mode and the 7800 color palette is gorgeous. :) The scrolling logo is originally from the Windows Deluxe version, but obviously I resized and recolored it to fit 7800 160b mode specs. For the scrolling logo, i like the messy look of the later game logos over the block letters of the C64 original. The kids select screen is also from the C64 version, but recolored with the 7800 palette.

Excellent! Thank you for sharing the details; love reading about the insider/design tidbits. :)

• Like 1

Is there a 7800 BIN file of this, or is it purely an animated demo?

Just an animated demo. If somebody wanted to make a real ROM file out of it, i'd be happy to share the audio/graphical assets (RMT file, image files, etc.). Unfortunately, I can't 6502 ASM... I'm just the guy who draws the graphics and makes the music lol