Photo

How is Raidan?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Mockduck OFFLINE  

Mockduck

Moonsweeper

• 264 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 10:39 AM

I have a Jaguar, but only two carts, due to the high price of collecting Jaguar games. I'm hoping someday to come across reasonably-priced Jag games in the wild...but until then, there's really only one Jaguar cart I'd be willing to shell out more than $40 for, and that's Raidan. I am a huge fan of that game from back in the arcades. How is the Jaguar port of it? Worth paying modern cart prices? 

#2 jaybird3rd OFFLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 8,957 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 11:13 AM

I think it's a good port. The VGC sums it up pretty nicely:

https://videogamecri...e=62127#rev1572

Even though I can play the arcade version in MAME, I don't feel as if I'm missing anything by staying with the Jaguar version; the only change I might make would be to add a rapid-fire option. Whether it's worth the price would depend on the price and on the buyer, of course.

#3 Flojomojo ONLINE  

Flojomojo

in the rain or in the snow

• 13,927 posts
  • got the funky funky flow

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 12:28 PM

It's a good port of an old arcade game. Back when the Jaguar was new, it was easy to find for $20 or less. I don't think it's worth scalper prices, but that's how I feel about most Jag games, so take that with a grain of salt.

#4 PFG 9000 OFFLINE  

PFG 9000

Moonsweeper

• 442 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 3:10 PM

As a big fan of the Arcade and PS1 versions of Raiden, I can't really recommend the Jag version. It was definitely a solid port in its time, but it is far from arcade perfect. Most of the graphics have been redrawn. The game has a "clunky" feel, and there's no autofire option. It's absolutely playable and enjoyable, but it always leaves me wanting to play the original. Maybe watch some YouTube videos to see if it's your thing.

#5 save2600 OFFLINE  

save2600

Quadrunner

• 15,144 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 3:40 PM

Good game on the Jaguar, though the chunky side bar kind of bugged. Would rather play the PS1 or TG-16 version if I'm in the mood for some Raiden.

#6 Songbird OFFLINE  

Songbird

Stargunner

• 1,525 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 6:40 PM

Raiden is a great port for the era, and one game I would definitely still recommend to anyone collecting Jaguar games.

#7 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,705 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 8:27 PM

I enjoy it. It's hardly a perfect port and a lot of liberties were taken, but it's still a solid shooter.

I wish Loop 2 was the default first loop--bullets are faster and are spaced out wider. It feels a lot more interesting to play than the first loop.

#8 sirlynxalot OFFLINE  

sirlynxalot

Dragonstomper

• 517 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 8:28 PM

Of all my jaguar games, I've probably put the most hours into Raiden. I found myself coming back to it because of its simple pick up and play arcade gameplay. It's not arcade perfect and its not like its the best shoot-em-up ever, but for the Jag's library, its probably the game I've had the most fun with in the modern era.  Plus its 2 player co-op so its an excuse to get your friend to play jaguar with you.

#9 sd32 OFFLINE  

sd32

Dragonstomper

• 568 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 9:58 PM

If you are a Raiden fan, then its a must buy. As a Raiden fan myself, i enjoy playing all the diferent ports, and the Jaguar one is really solid.

#10 Mockduck OFFLINE  

Mockduck

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 264 posts

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:10 PM

Great, thanks for the input. Sounds like I might have to pick it up if I can ever find one on eBay or something that's not too much over $50. I am also on the hunt for Raidan PS1, but the only time I've found that in the wild they were asking a lot for it.

#11 Isgoed ONLINE  

Isgoed

Stargunner

• 1,408 posts

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:41 PM

I agree with the points already been mentioned by others.

While I have different versions or Raiden, the Jaguar version has a very nice soundtrack imo and I enjoy it much.

The absence of rapid fire is not that bad I think, it's important not to tap too fast, but a little slower at a constant rate as this gives the fastest stream of bullets.

#12 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,705 posts

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:02 PM

The absence of rapid fire is not that bad I think, it's important not to tap too fast, but a little slower at a constant rate as this gives the fastest stream of bullets.

Agreed. I hear this complaint frequently with the Jaguar version, but the fact is the game only lets you fire so fast. There's no reason to mash because half of your inputs won't actually be doing anything. Just tap at a moderate rate and your hands will never wear out.

Edited by Austin, Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:04 PM.

#13 Trooper Galactus OFFLINE  

Trooper Galactus

Moonsweeper

• 373 posts

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 PM

One of the better Jaguar titles, even if that isn't saying much.  I enjoy it a lot, though I'll admit it has some faults.

#14 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,705 posts

Posted Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 PM

Great, thanks for the input. Sounds like I might have to pick it up if I can ever find one on eBay or something that's not too much over $50. I am also on the hunt for Raidan PS1, but the only time I've found that in the wild they were asking a lot for it.

PS1 version isn't cheap these days (relatively speaking), but you do get Raiden II on it as well. It's by far the best version to play from back then if you want the arcade experience. The Jaguar version is not that (for a variety of reasons), but it's still fun and has its own unique feel.

Edited by Austin, Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:38 PM.

#15 Pete5125 OFFLINE  

Pete5125

Moonsweeper

• 431 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:56 AM

power drive rally, super burnout, and raiden are all good choices in the under 50 buck range

#16 Gummy Bear ONLINE  

Gummy Bear

Moonsweeper

• 474 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:45 PM

Power Drive is under 50 bucks?

#17 madman OFFLINE  

madman

River Patroller

• 2,735 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:03 PM

Power Drive is under 50 bucks?

Loose, yeah, that is not unreasonable.

#18 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 4,273 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:25 PM

I haven't played it for PS1, but there are two reason's i'd recommend it over the TG-16 version, which I also have.

-2 Player co-op

-You start where you die not at the beginning of the level.

It's a great game IMO!  By the way "reasonable priced jaguar game" is an oxymoron.  Keep an eye on the SD Cart thread if you are looking to access the whole library on the cheap in the years ahead. 

#19 madman OFFLINE  

madman

River Patroller

• 2,735 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:09 PM

It's a great game IMO!  By the way "reasonable priced jaguar game" is an oxymoron.  Keep an eye on the SD Cart thread if you are looking to access the whole library on the cheap in the years ahead. 

PM me for a sweet deal on Club Drive CIB.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users