#26 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 4,402 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:14 PM

I think you are right.  I was mistaken.

ah OK, thx, I was wondering :)

So, is there any information about ´Ralph Nabet´, for my database ?

Maybe some software products or so ?

#27 BeeryMiller ONLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• 728 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:21 PM

Ralph Nabet did the initial Geneve 9640 emulation on M.E.S.S. somewhere in the 2002-2003 timeframe.

I do not recall what else he may have done.

#28 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,932 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:33 PM

So I got my old 99 running with help from Karsul (new SAMS card) and Arcadeshopper. (diskettes-a-plenty)  Yeah! icon_winking.gif

I tried MFM and I can send files to the TI over Xmodem protocol, but when I send the EA5 program for CAMEL99 Forth it shows up on the disk as a data file not a program.

DV80 files transferred perfectly so I have Forth source code on the diskette, but no program with which to compile it. icon_angry.gif

What am I missing?   icon_confused.gif 

Also , where can I download the manual  for MFM that is mentioned in the MFM-README file?

Appreciate any help.  I have been waiting almost 2 years to put CAMEL99 Forth on real iron.  icon_mrgreen.gif

so the source file is on your PEECEE? and you are uploading to the 4/a?  If the file turns out DF128 then that's because it had no TIFILES header on it.. you need to ensure that the file on the PC side has that header, if it doesn't use TIDIR to convert PC to a TIFILES or if it's v9t9 format convert from that to TIFILES..

History:

When we started uploading files to BBS's they had to come up with a way to store TI specific file header information.. SO the TIFILES header was created which prepends the file with the information needed to store it correctly. 

V9t9 came out (perhaps the first TI emulator (for DOS!)) and it needed a way to store files on the PC drive with the TI directory information as well, so instead of using the standard, they made up their own.. 

There's some camps that prefer v9t9, some that prefer tifiles,,TIPI is in the tifiles camp.   MFM also is TIFILES ..  Classic99 doesn't care, it reads/writes both.. but if you start a new file it'll be TIFILES by default 

#29 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 821 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:54 PM

so the source file is on your PEECEE? and you are uploading to the 4/a?  If the file turns out DF128 then that's because it had no TIFILES header on it.. you need to ensure that the file on the PC side has that header, if it doesn't use TIDIR to convert PC to a TIFILES or if it's v9t9 format convert from that to TIFILES..

History:

When we started uploading files to BBS's they had to come up with a way to store TI specific file header information.. SO the TIFILES header was created which prepends the file with the information needed to store it correctly. 

V9t9 came out (perhaps the first TI emulator (for DOS!)) and it needed a way to store files on the PC drive with the TI directory information as well, so instead of using the standard, they made up their own.. 

There's some camps that prefer v9t9, some that prefer tifiles,,TIPI is in the tifiles camp.   MFM also is TIFILES ..  Classic99 doesn't care, it reads/writes both.. but if you start a new file it'll be TIFILES by default 

OK that's great to know. Thanks!

I will give that a try.  The EA5 file is generated by my cross compiler and I knew nothing about this.

Will get back with the results...

B

#30 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 821 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:07 PM

So... the file transferred to the TI-99 now comes up as a program.  

The EA5 option loads the program it puts some contents of the Forth dictionary on the screen and crashes.

So I suspect there is a subtle error in my cross-compiler's EA5 format.  I will have to take a look at some headers of other programs, which I did 2 years ago, but clearly something is not correct.

More to come.

#31 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 821 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:58 PM

OK that's great to know. Thanks!

I will give that a try.  The EA5 file is generated by my cross compiler and I knew nothing about this.

Will get back with the results...

B

I succeeded with a version of the system that does have file access.  I carved my own path on accessing the disk DSR.  Looks like I have to go back to the drawing board.

<singing> Well it's one step forward and two steps back,  doin' the software two-step!" </singing>

#32 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 821 posts

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:02 AM

History:

This reminds of a quote by Chuck Moore the inventor of Forth:

"Standards are great.  Everybody should have one!"  :-D

Thanks for the history lesson. I now realize that my cross-compiler generates V9T9 files.

I had just dumped a program file and duplicated it without knowing this.

I have added your paragraph to my source code crediting Arcadeshopper.

Meanwhile back at the disk drive, my DSR routine that worked so well on Classic99 is a bomb on real iron.

Now I am going to have to create a debug version of the kernel with tools to investigate why.  :(

Back to the 1980s I go...

...now where did I park the DeLorean?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users