IGNORED

THE DIG DUG THREAD!

retrorussell

Hey AAers! This is a thread dedicated to my favorite game of all time:

DIG DUG!

This thread can be about the original arcade game, its sequels, spinoffs, any pictures you want to post, information, memories you have of the game or related games, videos, your high scores, whatever!!!

My best score at the arcade game (via MAME, and I used default settings and NO CHEATS!):

0000_by_retrorussell-dcmhbt7.png

The oft-seen stand up cabinet that I have in my living room:

digdugFront_001.jpg?1428680730

And a picture of DIG DUG himself; his real name is TAIZO HORI (which means "I want to dig!").

namcoxcapcom_taizo_hori_by_shayeragal-da

Me in my Halloween costume as Dig Dug about 9 years ago:

profile_picture_by_retrorussell-d84zpt1.

ANYTHING Dig Dug related, folks! Post away!!!

• Like 9

I love these-- there's a series of YouTube Flash animation episodes of various Namco characters, including Dig Dug.

Also, here's the cabaret cabinet of DIG DUG, and the sit-down version, both of which I recall seeing BITD.

S4Hh1Vw.jpg

1122071317.jpg

Edited by retrorussell
  • Like 1

this is relevant to my interests ;)

it's kind of an odd game, but I really like the sequel as well. The added mechanic of drilling the islands is kinda neat.

I especially like that 10th level-- where if you act fast you can get a TON of points!

Here's a look at the Namco Museum DIG DUG room (Playstation):

I've scored above 100k, but never above 200k in MAME. I really like the game, but for some reason I refuse to use the continue feature. I think it is more fun to let the clock run out and just play from the beginning each time. That has probably slowed me down on the path to mastering it, but I don't really care.

I appreciate the creativity in the design of Dig Dug. Maze games were so popular, and yet they challenged themselves to create a "reverse" maze game where you dig the maze. I think it is brilliant

• Like 1

Have you guys tried out Zig Zag? It's a total bootleg, but it adds a pickaxe to the gameplay which makes you dig faster... so it's an interesting variation to try once or twice if you haven't already.

I remember as a kid that's all we had around for the most part. I knew of ONE single Dig Dug around the places I knew, and it was a cocktail :lol:

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by NE146
  • Like 3

Have you guys tried out Zig Zag? It's a total bootleg, but it adds a pickaxe to the gameplay which makes you dig faster... so it's an interesting variation to try once or twice if you haven't already.

I remember as a kid that's all we had around for the most part. I knew of ONE single Dig Dug around the places I knew, and it was a cocktail icon_lol.gif

I also played this a lot as a kid. As bootlegs go, it was one of the less-prevalent ones I can remember seeing, but it was close enough to where we lived that it was in regular rotation.

Interestingly, the game is attributed to Taito do Brasil, who were fairly prolific at making knockoffs but still a quasi-independent part of Taito proper. Their history (machine-translated from the original Portuguese) is pretty interesting.

My review of ZIG ZAG:

Thought it was pretty crappy.

Fair enough icon_mrgreen.gif

I have something of an appreciation for bootlegs and oddities in part due to the inherent crappiness that a lot of them have, though the circumstances behind their creation and distribution are what really interest me. If nothing else, this one's at least an interesting footnote in Dig Dug's history.

That said, I can completely understand why I'm one of the few people who would actually say that. The original is definitely way more polished.

• Like 1