IGNORED

Atari 5200 pin 12 spec

inthe80s

Don't see this info anywhere about pin 12 other than it is +5 volts (amperage?).....the current draw of the trak-ball is not listed anywhere either.

I'm wondering because I'm making a custom controller box and I'm curious about providing power to 3 leds from pin 12.

Anyone know of any info on pin 12?

Edited by inthe80s

all i know is if i wire up pin 12 as the pot common the system switches over to tracball mode

i suggest just using pin 9 i'm not sure what its power capabilities are but i would assume under 50 ma

Thanks man, very good info. I wonder what part of the circuit in the 5200 "detects" to switch it over to trak-ball mode? If I still used pin 9 as common(rather than pin 12 for common like you did) for the joystick like normal and maybe that wouldn't flip it into trak-ball mode while taking the +5(from pin 12) to a led/resistor circuit(and in-line fuse for safety) and use pin 15 for ground.

The trak-ball HAS to pull more amps with it's pcb loaded with chips and two opto sensors than what was probably used for the regular controllers. I would think pin 12 would have more juice just to run the trak-ball.

Ive found it impossible to find amperage outputs for powered pins on most consoles. I believe I read somewhere about Atari A8 pin 7 amperage changes, but thats about it. Im not sure how to get an accurate reading. I believe the common value is 50 - 100 mA.

Thanks for the info Swami. I'm thinking the amperage for pin 12 would have to be substantially more to run the trak-ball given that it has like I said a pcb/chips/opto sensors... I just want to power 3 leds.

Edited by inthe80s

According to the schematics, the 5 volt supply to pin 12, comes directly from one of the 5 volt regulators!

Should be no problem powering the leds.

TY!! I can solder and do full restores on arcades(restored a Tempest)...but I'm not skilled as to read schematics like that, that's a big help. Thank you so much.