IGNORED

A couple graphics questions

flux

I'm not sure of the horizontal wrapping but the vertical one is most probably that you weren't precise enough when placing your sprites in the file. My guess is what we see at the top is in fact the last line of the first frame - if I'm not mistaken we are seeing frame #2 in that pic.

Thinking about horizontal: it's a bit bizarre, maybe it's a slightly different BMP flavour my converter doesn't handle properly. If you can't get it to work I'd appreciate if you uploaded your project and bmp file.

(Also: I hardly think anyone here cares much about how programmer art looks like as long as it works!)

There might be something to the idea that there is something wrong with my bitmap. The original was exported by photoshop. Then after reading your post just for fun I opened it in gimp and saved it without making any changes. This version made it monochromatic in the game. My character turned from having a skin tone to being solid black, and if I turned transparency off, it made the background color for the sprite a shade of gray. But, it cleared up the horizontal wrapping with the back of his foot wrapping to the other side. It also cleared up the row of pixels showing up at the top. What it didn't fix is that row is still missing from the bottom.

I opened up that one I saved from gimp in photoshop and saved it without making any changes, and it restored the color, and kept the fixes with the wrapping, but I am still missing that bottom row of his feet. They just vanished altogether instead of showing up in the wrong spot.

Also, I don't know if it's worth noting, but all three versions of the file -- photoshop, gimp, photoshop again -- they all have different file sizes. Even the two photoshop versions are different from one another. By only 4 bytes in that case but still.

I put the three versions of the bitmap in a zip file here https://mega.nz/#!ZhozzQ6R!Seqn3TRuP9RVnoZgqrmVH4M1-cLbEOTsHxkEtoWTOXQ if you want to have a look at them. If there's a more preferred method of sharing the files, I'll be happy to put them wherever I'm supposed to. As for my project, there's a ton of experimental garbage all over it and I'd like to clean it up a bit before sharing, so I'll try to get to that some time today.

Edited by flux

Thanks for submitting a rb+ bug report ;).

I took a look at the offending files and, sure enough, my BMP importer was a bit too hardcoded at places. Now it should be able to write pixel and palette data properly! Feel free to grab the latest commit on github/bitbucket (and swear loudly at me if it still doesn't work!)

Also, apologies for putting you in so much trouble - sometimes one creates technical debt and forgets to go back and do things right :).

• Like 4

Thanks for submitting a rb+ bug report ;).

I took a look at the offending files and, sure enough, my BMP importer was a bit too hardcoded at places. Now it should be able to write pixel and palette data properly! Feel free to grab the latest commit on github/bitbucket (and swear loudly at me if it still doesn't work!)

Also, apologies for putting you in so much trouble - sometimes one creates technical debt and forgets to go back and do things right :).

All three of them seem to mostly work now but I still have one minor issue with all of them, that is, the very bottom pixel row of the feet isn't showing up. I'm fairly sure that I have the three frames lined up properly in the bitmap but if I don't, then I'm happy to be told where they're wrong. Or, if it shows up for you properly, then perhaps the issue is in my code somewhere. Much appreciated that you took the time to fix it. I was not expecting any kind of help on that level at all. I thought maybe I'd get a suggestion to use such and such program and export with certain settings (which, if that's what it takes to get working, I'm all for...). In any case, I'm really grateful.

"Look up 24bit RGB calues drom CLUT table".

I'm a bit confused here, because I was sure CLUT table keeps 16bit (not 24bit) RGB values

This is not the place to start a discussion like this (especially for an image I haven't had the chance to explain/defend) so I'll confine myself to this reply: yes the CLUT values are 16bit but I would expect there's only one DAC, right?

This is not the place to start a discussion like this (especially for an image I haven't had the chance to explain/defend) so I'll confine myself to this reply: yes the CLUT values are 16bit but I would expect there's only one DAC, right?

yep,

I was wondering if it would be possible to switch somehow CLUT to 24bit mode (e.g by combining both CLUT tables A & B)