IGNORED

Where do I go from here? A request for your input.

twoodland

Hello everyone,

Now that I have my system functional again, I have been like a child searching through the toy catalogs trying to make a list for Christmas! There is so much information to sift through, and not being a seasoned 99’er, I am confused as how best to equip my system. I have searched through similar posts which are quite helpful, however, development of new and upgraded products (which is great) and my ignorance of how they work, are hindering me from deciding what to do.

My System Hardware:

Black and Chrome Console w/Speech Synth (w/power jumper mod), Jedimatt42 32K Sidecar, Program Recorder and TI Joysticks (non-working (mylar contact sheets need conductive paint repair)

System Upgrade Goals:

To share programs from a central location that I am working on (mainly ex basic) between my console and using an emulator on my Win10 PC.

To utilize the software available on this site (cartridge roms/groms, dsk’s, tapes, etc) on my console.

To get my console online to connect to BBS’s, chat, email, and online games (such as TIPI chess).

What I am sure I need:

Your help!

What I am thinking I need:

TIPI Setup

F18A MK2

Extended Basic 2.7 Suite Cartridge

4A DOS Cartridge (Automate the TIPI startup)

What I am unsure about but thinking I may need:

FinalGROM99 (Does this supersede the FlashROM 99?, Do you need both?, Do I need this if I have a TIPI?)

Stuart’s TI-99/4A – Internet Web Browser Cartridge V9.2 (Do I need this if I have a TIPI?)

Which Extended Basic Cartridge? (Extended Basic 2.7 Suite, Extended Basic 3 in 1 – Contains Ti XB, XB2.7 and RXB2015, Extended Basic Fun – Contains XB2.7, XB256, and XB w/The missing link, Cortex Basic)

512K Utilities multi-cart cartridge (This is included in the Extended Basic 2.7 Suite Cartridge but not in the other versions of the XB2.7 cartridges?)

I appreciate that there are so many options to configure your system based upon each person’s interests, wants, needs and goals. There is not a one size fits all configuration. For me, I know that I am very excited to get a TIPI and need help so that I do not overlook options and/or add redundant upgrades.

Thank you in advance for your time and feedback.

TWoodland

Edited by twoodland
  • Like 1

Wow, a LOT of questions at one time. :-o I'm not sure I'll be able to remember or address all them all, but I'll try to answer some of the more important ones...

First I need to ask a question:

Which sidecar 32K are you using? If it's Jedimatt42's you have more options... without having to re-purchase anything.

If you have JediMatt42's 32K, the TIPI sounds like your best option as it addresses most of your stated wants, but CURRENTLY Stuart's Internet Browser does NOT work with the TIPI. :_(

In it's time, the XB 2.7S cartridge was the best cartridge one could get, now days, especially if you have a limited budget or do not want to duplicate your efforts, I would recommend going with the FinalGROM99 as it will pretty much do anything and will run ANY of the Extended BASIC versions available for download in the repository.

If I were in your shoes I would get the following items in the following order.

1 - The FG99 to go with your 32K as it'll give you the most bang for your buck.

The FlashROM99 is not recommended any longer. It was a previous model and does not have all the capabilities of the FinalGROM99.

Don't worry about XB cartridges, if you have the FinalGROM99 the question is moot.

If you still want to expand at that point...

2 - TIPI and a RPi (of course it's a personal decision, but I'd get the enclosures/cases for them as well).

Don't even consider the 4A/DOS cartridge until you have an operational TIPI system. You'll be able to try out 4A/DOS with the FG99 cartridge to see if you like it, it'll just be missing some of the convenient aspects.

• Like 1

Wow, a LOT of questions at one time. :-o I'm not sure I'll be able to remember or address all them all, but I'll try to answer some of the more important ones...

First I need to ask a question:

Which sidecar 32K are you using? If it's Jedimatt42's you have more options... without having to re-purchase anything.

If you have JediMatt42's 32K, the TIPI sounds like your best option as it addresses most of your stated wants, but CURRENTLY Stuart's Internet Browser does NOT work with the TIPI. :_(

In it's time, the XB 2.7S cartridge was the best cartridge one could get, now days, especially if you have a limited budget or do not want to duplicate your efforts, I would recommend going with the FinalGROM99 as it will pretty much do anything and will run ANY of the Extended BASIC versions available for download in the repository.

If I were in your shoes I would get the following items in the following order.

1 - The FG99 to go with your 32K as it'll give you the most bang for your buck.

The FlashROM99 is not recommended any longer. It was a previous model and does not have all the capabilities of the FinalGROM99.

Don't worry about XB cartridges, if you have the FinalGROM99 the question is moot.

If you still want to expand at that point...

2 - TIPI and a RPi (of course it's a personal decision, but I'd get the enclosures/cases for them as well).

Don't even consider the 4A/DOS cartridge until you have an operational TIPI system. You'll be able to try out 4A/DOS with the FG99 cartridge to see if you like it, it'll just be missing some of the convenient aspects.

Thank you so much Omega. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did not know that there were different versions of the 32K sidecar. I purchased mine from "The Brewing Academy" (http://thebrewingacademy.com) and it is Jedimatt42's version (green PCB version in a nice black 3D printed case, not the silver and black one that I found recently which I may upgrade to)

At this time, both the FG99 and TIPI are out of stock on ArcadeShopper. I am definitely wanting the TIPI, so I am planning on getting that when it is back in stock. Based upon that, is it still beneficial to also have the FG99 or does the TIPI offer the same capability?

Thank you again for your speedy and valuable response.

TWoodland

Edited by twoodland

Hi, twoodland,

as Omega describes, the FG99 is also my first recommendation!

The Final Grom was the first part I bought when I restarted my hobby at the end of 2017.
Then I got a nanoPEB, this is a very usefull thing, included 32KB, a serial port and DISK1. to DISK3. emulation from a SD-card.
My last expansion was a Tipi card and a Rasperry Pi, with this I am able to contact BBS and use CHATTI, a sms-like application for the TI99.
  • Like 1

Based upon that, is it still beneficial to also have the FG99 or does the TIPI offer the same capability?

I'm of the mind that you NEED BOTH the FG99 and the TIPI.

Most of the games are easy to locate and download in BIN format and they load much faster from cartridge than ANY other method.

For most other things that require new versions still un-converted or things that require disk access the TIPI is where it's at.

I guess it all comes down to personal usage. I use my TIPI 90% of the time with 4A/DOS and my FG99 mostly to play games the other 10%. It could be reversed with someone else.

• Like 1