Coleco Gemini Controllers

Coleco Gemini Controller

8 replies to this topic

#1 Polish.Gasoline OFFLINE  

Polish.Gasoline

Space Invader

• 21 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:22 AM

I had some Coleco Gemini Controllers included when I bought some games off a kijiji ad and when I bought a system.

My problem:

I opened them and cleaned them and there was black gunk all over the connectors.  I first ran it through stella with the 2600 daptor 2 and it was funny.  The dial moved the ship in defender and the stick when I pushed up would shoot but when I had the case off it would work no problem.  I tried ms pac man on a 2600 and it worked the button worked and the joystick worked (with the case on).  When I tried it on breakout the dial worked but I had to press up on the joystick to shoot the ball (This was also on a 2600).

Now what I think it is I used too much rubbing alcohol and took something out of the board but I just want to fix and remedy it.  There was possibly some black gunk that was supposed to be there possibly?  

HELP!

#2 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,195 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:23 AM

The only strange thing from your descritpion is that you should have to move the stick right, not up to shoot the ball. That's because those controllers are not supposed to be plugged directly to the console when used as paddles, but instead the gemini console included an Y-cable that

1 - allowed to plug two controllers per port (like standard atari paddles that are paired)

2 - redirected the buttons to the right pins needed for paddles, so you can use them instead of moving the stick.

If you can solder, I made a schematic for the adapter that you can find here:
http://atariage.com/...r/#entry2074924

• jhd likes this

#3 GeekDragon OFFLINE  

GeekDragon

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts
  • Just call me Geek!

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:59 AM

The Gemini was my introduction to the 2600 back in the day.  Had that before I got a 2600 system.  With Warlords, you have to push the stick to fire the ball.  The side button does not work for this game.  I believe there are others where this happens also.  This is how I played 30+ years ago and still play Warlords today.  BTW, I prefer these controllers over the 2600 controllers, but this is just me.

#4 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,413 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:45 PM

I like the controller, kind of analog feeling. The very cheep pot they used, either is more reliable than Atari ones, or were rarely used, because I always find them fully functional (no jitters)

Since they work as is with no mods, I think it would be cool to see a homebrew make use of them to use the paddle in conjunction with the stick properly. Maybe use the paddle to scroll through a menu in an adventure type of game?

As for the black gunk, probably just dirty grease from the paddle, and won't hurt anything cleaning it off.

Edited by Video, Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:48 PM.

#5 Polish.Gasoline OFFLINE  

Polish.Gasoline

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:47 PM

Guess I'm making a cable on my spare time.  I saw one on ebay for like 80 bucks.  Authentic comes at a price I guess.

#6 boxpressed OFFLINE  

boxpressed

River Patroller

• 2,973 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:58 PM

The only strange thing from your descritpion is that you should have to move the stick right, not up to shoot the ball. That's because those controllers are not supposed to be plugged directly to the console when used as paddles, but instead the gemini console included an Y-cable that

1 - allowed to plug two controllers per port (like standard atari paddles that are paired)

2 - redirected the buttons to the right pins needed for paddles, so you can use them instead of moving the stick.

If you can solder, I made a schematic for the adapter that you can find here:
http://atariage.com/...r/#entry2074924

Do you need the Y cable to play 1 player paddle games, or can you plug the controller directly into port 1?

Im guessing that if you want to use the Gemini paddle on a regular 2600, youll need the Y cable?

#7 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,195 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:37 AM

Do you need the Y cable to play 1 player paddle games, or can you plug the controller directly into port 1?

If you don't mind to move the stick to the right instead of using the controller button, you can plug directly the controller and play most single player paddle games. There are a few exceptions, though: some games assign the paddles to the two player in inverted order. This is not a problem with a standard paddle set as you have both of them, so you just try to see which one you need to use, but of course such games are not playable with a gemini controller plugged directly into the port, because the other paddle just isn't there.

They're playable with the Y-adapter, even if you only have a single gemini controller: if it doesn't respond, it just means you have to plug it into the other port of the Y-adapter.

The following games won't work with a gemini controller without the Y-cable:

Tac-Scan
Demons to Diamonds
Street Racer
Video Olympics
Canyon Bomber
Star Wars - Jedi Arena
AStroblast

Im guessing that if you want to use the Gemini paddle on a regular 2600, youll need the Y cable?

There's no difference in using the controller with a gemini console or a regular Atari. In either case the Y-adapter allows to play 2 player games (or single games with swapped paddle order) and makes the button functional.

#8 GeekDragon OFFLINE  

GeekDragon

Chopper Commander

• 183 posts
  • Just call me Geek!

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:25 PM

I got so used to using the stick as the side button that I never thought of using the Y cable to use the button.  Might try that.  But then again, I have both sets of 2600 paddles, so I can just use them instead.

#9 Polish.Gasoline OFFLINE  

Polish.Gasoline

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts

Posted Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:28 AM

I just ordered the Genesis Controller Extension cable.  I got some for my intellivision as well.  Judging how slow shipment is for the past few months from China it'll be a good 4 months.

https://www.ebay.ca/...353.m2749.l2649

Edited by Polish.Gasoline, Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Coleco, Gemini, Controller

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users