IGNORED

Text editor for programming

Willie1914

I want TAB to reposition the cursor without inserting any tabs or spaces.

Not sure what that would mean... Say you position the cursor at column 4, and start typing... what then ends up in the file before what you just typed? Spaces? A tab? Or nothing at all? And if nothing at all, how does the editor know to start this line at column 4 instead of column one next time you open the file?

Not sure what that would mean... Say you position the cursor at column 4, and start typing... what then ends up in the file before what you just typed? Spaces? A tab? Or nothing at all? And if nothing at all, how does the editor know to start this line at column 4 instead of column one next time you open the file?

I use tabs in Textpad and set them up with my assembly files to match the exact necessary boundaries for labels, op-code, arguments and a comment area. It's worked pretty well for me.

Adam

Well, with the TI editors, when you start at column 4 the 'spaces' on screen (preceding what you typed) are saved as part of the file. Spaces at the end of each line are not saved with the record. Editors like TI Writer and Funnelweb operate this way to preserve the spaces. If I later want to add comments to a source file, I can tab over to the column I want, type the comment, and spaces between the assembler code and comment are then included in that line of data. Essentially, the TI Editors let you type anywhere on the screen then save the data as appropriate.

As you infer, most PC-based editors won't let you tab into that white space without adding tabs or spaces to the file. Where this really 'sucks' is when adding commentary to existing or disassembled code, since you now must place the cursor in the same spot on each line over and over again. With the TI editor, I can change the tabs to put me in the comment column (if I so choose) without messing up the format or the line.

I have been using notepad and a few other editors - they all require using a mouse or struggling with arrow keys to get to the right coordinates without inserting information into the file.

Actually Windows Notepad and TI Writer are pretty similar but having a mouse makes Notepad much more easy to find something.

Also the Arrow Keys are how you mostly navigate unless what you need is 40 pages back, though a faster way is just use FIND works better in Notepad.