So, whilst I was in the process of making Tombstones, the ROM wound up being slightly larger than 8k after adding everything to make the game feel polished. I used about 9k of a 16k ROM. I figured I couldn't let all that extra space go to waste.
I grew up with a TI-99/4a, and one of my favorite games was TI Invaders. My favorite part of that game was the bonus round where you shot a spaceship back and forth that got increasingly smaller and further away. So here, in that grand tradition, I am happy to present you this Tombstones B-side which is stupidly named Disc Donk (after the sound made when the ship gets hit).
Disc Donk attempts to replicate as much of the TI Invaders bonus game as possible while tacking on enough extras to make it a full game.
- Facsimiles of the TI colors, sound effects, graphics, and gameplay
- Same increasing point values as the TI version
- Dramatic explosion animation and sound after the 15th hit of the saucer
- Three stages per level; in each stage the saucer moves faster
- Five separate levels, increasingly blockaded
- Motivational messages between levels and an extra ship, too (idea and sound effect stolen vaguely from Munch Man)
- Hypnotic title screen and game over graphics
- A cornucopia of curses as you miss a three-pixel wide saucer at the top of the screen
I think my favorite part of the original bonus round was that it was more rhythmic than deliberate aiming. If you got the timing down, you could get pretty far without worrying where the ship was--just press fire at the right time. I'm pretty pleased that I feel that rhythm has been maintained here. When I'm feeling it, I can get to level 4 somewhat consistently. When I'm not, I can't get past the third stage of the first level.
Anyway, this will be released alongside Tombstones on a cart as a twofer type of thing. (In fact, the reason this ROM is 16k is because Tombstones is also in it.) But I wanted to release this separately for people to try out and offer comments / suggestions / bug reports.
Good luck with it!
Edited by bjbest60, Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 PM.