Photo

Do you remember the Ouya? Greatest console of a-*Cough*

7 replies to this topic

#1 Spike Danton OFFLINE  

Spike Danton

Space Invader

• 38 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 PM

Some of you may have forgotten, or more likely, some of you have never heard the name -OUYA-. What was the Ouya you ask?

ouya-kickstart-560.jpg

The OUYA started off as a Kickstarter, presented as a feature-rich android powered game console for your TV. Yes, yes, there was a time, though temporarily, that people actually where EXCITED about playing android games on their TV. The Kickstarter was an unprecedented success at the time bringing in MUCH more than they asked for with it earning over $8 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!!!

Of course once this happened several odd changes happened at the company, previously announced deals ended, delays delays delays, nothing to show for months, you know, the usual scam that accidentally did to well type stuff.

BUT THEN, it finally launched. It didn't end up at all the promised retailers, and if I recall, Targets launch was delayed, but some people were able to bring the first OUYA consoles home with them. These people NOT being the backers of the Kickstarter. Yes, the BACKERS got the console AFTER retail. I knew people who waited over a month to get their OUYA. I saw on forums people saying it took two months before they got their OUYA so they had to buy one at the store to review it.

It failed spectacularly, PR kept using questionable software sales figures as console sales through vague press releases for awhile, but reality set in that this project was doomed, and it eventually died off. It was later brought by RAZER, which I believe was a mistake because I have yet to see anything come out of that deal.

But some people did enjoy the product that came out, while people are mostly negative on the controllers, many use it as a debug kit, as an emulation machine, or as a software creation platform. It did get some timed exclusive titles such as CRAZY FROG among others when it was new, but as of today I believe you can find all of its library on PC and mobile.

It did get a lot of gaming related projects and companies to consider crowdfunding and it was one of the major successes that put Kickstarter on the map. But it was made by a company that clearly was not intending to raise $8 million and had ruined their Image way before the console was released with false promises and fake press releases.

Edited by Spike Danton, Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:27 PM.

#2 Eltigro OFFLINE  

Eltigro

River Patroller

• 2,217 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:50 PM

hqdefault.jpg

#3 thanatos OFFLINE  

thanatos

Stargunner

• 1,645 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:24 PM

It was my favorite console ever.  In fact, I don't have any other systems hooked up anymore besides my trusty OUYA.  PS4 went out to the dumpster.  My MAME setup?  No longer needed.  Moved the PC into the kitchen and I just use it to look up recipes.  The OUYA controllers were perfect, far superior to the arcade sticks I had for my MAME setup.  The storefront was great.  I bought every game the first day they came out.

#4 TrekMD OFFLINE  

TrekMD

River Patroller

• 3,651 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:08 PM

Of course I remember it.  I still have mine.  :)

#5 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,671 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:16 PM

where have i seen this kind of thread before-

Attached Thumbnails

• Groundhog-1-998x697.jpg

#6 Tanooki OFFLINE  

Tanooki

Quadrunner

• 5,008 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:13 PM

Well Jaguar, I guess that's one way to both get around being locked temporarily before being removed for duplicate accounts.  Refreshing, really.  Ouya is hard not to remember as they were very visible.

#7 xenomorpher OFFLINE  

xenomorpher

River Patroller

• 3,018 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:35 PM

Yeah seriously, WTF is with people OBVIOUSLY having multiple accounts lately? Are they forming a guild of calamitous intent or something?

#8 jaybird3rd ONLINE  

jaybird3rd

Quadrunner

• 8,957 posts
  • "Excuse me, sir? I have a question ..."

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:59 PM

Believe me, it's getting old for us, too.  Locking now.

@"Spike Danton" (and whatever other names you have): Please, just give it up.  You're not fooling anybody.  Everyone knows who you are.  Don't even bother writing the admins and/or moderators with another of your innocent messages demanding to know why, how come, what you did wrong, etc.  I think you know perfectly well by this time, and this routine is starting to get boring.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users