Photo

TI File Transfer Issues

6 replies to this topic

#1 AwkwardPotato OFFLINE  

AwkwardPotato

Space Invader

• 39 posts

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:06 PM

Now that I have a working disk controller, I've tried transferring some games (from the Modules on Disk archive) over via a Win98 PC that (supposedly) supports single density. I've tried both Omniflop and TI99-PC, however the disks created by both programs won't autoload in XB. The disk images do autoload in V9T9, though. Additionally, if I OLD the LOAD program and run it, the menu for the disk appears, but selecting any of the options causes the TI to reboot. I am, however, able to successfully catalog the disks with Disk Manager (I did notice that LOAD isn't marked with a Y in the P column, not sure if this is significant or not). What are some things I should look out for that might be causing this issue?

Thanks!

Edited by AwkwardPotato, Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:07 PM.

#2 Shift838 OFFLINE  

Shift838

River Patroller

• 2,412 posts
  • SHIFT838

Posted Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:10 PM

Now that I have a working disk controller, I've tried transferring some games (from the Modules on Disk archive) over via a Win98 PC that (supposedly) supports single density. I've tried both Omniflop and TI99-PC, however the disks created by both programs won't autoload in XB. The disk images do autoload in V9T9, though. Additionally, if I OLD the LOAD program and run it, the menu for the disk appears, but selecting any of the options causes the TI to reboot. I am, however, able to successfully catalog the disks with Disk Manager (I did notice that LOAD isn't marked with a Y in the P column, not sure if this is significant or not). What are some things I should look out for that might be causing this issue?

Thanks!

i would verify the mainboard on your Windows 98 PC does in fact support Single Density.  

If you have an RS232 card then you can use MAGIC FM to transfer files over to the TI.

#3 AwkwardPotato OFFLINE  

AwkwardPotato

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:50 PM

I got a straight (not null modem) DB-9 to DB-25 cable, and I'm using it in conjunction with a USB-Serial adapter connected to a Mac to transfer files. With MESS + TIImageTool, I just get 255 at the top of the screen for both the emulated TI and the real TI when I try to transfer MagicFM. Not sure if it's the RS-232 card, the cables, how I have MESS set up, etc. For what it's worth, here's what I'm using in XB on the real TI to set up the connection (emulated TI is the same, but SAVE instead of OLD).

OPEN #1: "RS232.BA=1200"
OLD RS232 

Here's what I'm using to start MESS:

mame64 ti99_4a -cart exbasic -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot2 32kmem -ioport:peb:slot7 tirs232 -ioport:peb:slot8 tifdc -flop1 disks/mfm.dsk -serl1 socket.localhost:10000

Edited by AwkwardPotato, Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:52 PM.

#4 arcadeshopper ONLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,586 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:21 PM

If the floppy disk drive in the PC is a 1.2mb drive it will never create disks that will work on a TI.. The spindle speed is different and the track size is also different. You MUST use a 360k (DS/DD) disk drive on the PC. 

#5 Casey ONLINE  

Casey

Moonsweeper

• 290 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:33 PM

Not that this will solve your issue, but I think you can eliminate the OPEN statement and just do:  

OLD "RS232.BA=1200" on the one you want to receive the program on and

SAVE "RS232.BA=1200" on the sender and it should work if the cable is hooked up correctly.

Otherwise, you'll be transferring at 300 baud (the default).  

#6 AwkwardPotato OFFLINE  

AwkwardPotato

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:43 PM

- arcadeshopper: I've been using 720k 3.5" disks (found out the problems with using HD disks the hard way  ;))

- Casey: Thanks for the tip!

Edited by AwkwardPotato, Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:43 PM.

#7 AwkwardPotato OFFLINE  

AwkwardPotato

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:10 PM

I should also mention that there's no activity on the TIImageTool serial bridge window, so I'm assuming the problem is between it and MAME/it and the USB-Serial adapter.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users