IGNORED

Daisy... Daisy... Give Me Your Answer, Do!

twoodland

I have just seen a cool YouTube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvWSpTg8oA4) by "n1jbq" published 5/21/14 of a TI99 singing the 1892 song "Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built For Two)" composed by Harry Dacre. In 1961, physicist John Larry Kelly Jr and his colleague Louis Gerstman used an IBM 704 at Bell Labs to demonstrate their voice recorder synthesizer. Arthur C Clarke witnessed this speech demonstration and referenced it in his 1968 novel and film "2001: A Space Odyssey". I am sure everyone remembers the HAL 9000 singing this while being deactivated.

The TI-99/4A being my first computer, and it having the Speech Synthesizer and the game Parsec, made it sure seem like the HAL 9000 to me! Therefore, I would like to obtain a copy of the program from the video, and to ask your help in locating it.

The video's description mentions floppy disk from the 1980's distributed by the Boston Computer Society TI-99/4A User Group. The disk can also be seen 0:11 seconds in the video. The disk is labled "Public Domain Disk #73 - TI-Sings". In the comments Stephen Hoffmann posts that he remembered typing that particular program from what he belived was from a TI-99er magazine.

Would anyone here have a copy of the disk and/or know the reference to the magazine article? I would love to hear my TI sing this particular song.

Thank you in advance,

TWoodland
Edited by twoodland
  • Like 3

Would anyone here have a copy of the disk and/or know the reference to the magazine article? I would love to hear my TI sing this particular song.

Thank you in advance,
TWoodland

That DSK image is BCS073.DSK on WHTech in http://ftp.whtech.com/user%20groups/Boston%20Computer%20Society/library/.

...lee

[Edited the link above to use HTTP instead of FTP. If you use FTP the username is “anonymous” and their is no password, i.e., it is null. Also, for FTP, you should probably open ftp.whtech.com and navigate to “user groups”-->“Boston Computer Society”-->“library”]

• Like 2

Lee,

When you post link a to WHT, could please post the login information as well. Chances are newbies will not know it, and guys like me never seem to remember. - Thanks.

WHTech FTP username is “anonymous” (without the quotes). There is no password, i.e., it is null. It is probably best to go in at the front door (ftp.whtech.com) and then walk down the directory list to the desired subdirectory. I will change that in the link in my previous post.

...lee

• Like 2

A lot of people out there have it and might not even know it. If you have an Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite cartridge, all you have to do is a FUNCTION 5 from it's main menu and it will IMMEDIATELY start up.

Ooo Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite Cart... drool.... DOH! Out of stock on arcadeshopper... must have patience... :-o

Ooo Extended BASIC 2.7 Suite Cart... drool.... DOH! Out of stock on arcadeshopper... must have patience... :-o

Please bear in mind that while XB2.7S is a great cartridge, the programs contained on it, especially the utilities, will always remain older versions becoming more out-of-date as time goes by and cannot be updated in the cartridge. I truly believe your best option (at this point in time) is the FinalGROM 99.