IGNORED

New nes controllers coming to switch.

Price is beyond my interest. It's close enough to a toploader dogbone controller in the NES30Pro I have, so if I have to have that feel instead of just handheld mode or the pro controller I'm good.

That said I get it, the NES games are freely included in the cheap yearly subscription system so maybe it gets a little back that way to those who put their games up or something.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

Price is beyond my interest. It's close enough to a toploader dogbone controller in the NES30Pro I have, so if I have to have that feel instead of just handheld mode or the pro controller I'm good.

That said I get it, the NES games are freely included in the cheap yearly subscription system so maybe it gets a little back that way to those who put their games up or something.

Ya and customers are not even welcome to buy those $60 controllers unless they already paid out for the subscription service as well. If that isn't money hungry I don't know what is.

• Like 3

I think my tolerance for paying for NES games everywhere with an appropriate controller has really reached a limit. And post-Wii Nintendo has really gone off the deep end with clutter-by-controller. I already have a switch in handheld. The joycons separate with little slide on piece, a pro controller, and a piece of plastic to make joycons into a crappy version of the pro. I like their games but I'm done ceding my drawers to piles of hyper specific piece of plastic and metal. A subscription on top of that? Sigh.

I'm going to pass on these. Selling only to subscribers online? Why not offer them in stores? That's just begging for scalpers to flip these on ebay for high dollar, considering it's only available to subs and only online. Also expect a bunch of crappy wireless PRO controller clones with missing buttons.

I am just gonna use my SNES style 8bitdo Pro to play these, sorry big N...

• Like 1

What would you do with controllers that only work with games only available for subscribers anyway?

Has it been confirmed these will only work with the NES library? I for one could see myself preferring these for other retro throwback indie releases as well as the Arcade Archives releases.

Has it been confirmed these will only work with the NES library? I for one could see myself preferring these for other retro throwback indie releases as well as the Arcade Archives releases.

Yes, it has unfortunately. These controllers have too few buttons for most games anyway (even a lot of 'retro throwback indie releases' as you call them), and games like Arcade Archives releases would have to be patched to become compatible. I wouldn't be surprised if some developers like Yacht Club Games patch their NES-like games though, but Nintendo can't force them to and I think that's why they had to say these controllers are just made for the NES library. It's also quite obvious they would be terrible substitutes for Joy-cons when attached to the Switch! :lol:

• Like 1

Well, 8BitDo could release a compatible Retro Receiver I guess...

8bitdo SN Pro controllers are already Switch Pro compatible (wireless), and feature all necessary buttons plus motion control. It only lacks HD Rumble and Amiibo support. I used mine (SNES style NA Purple) to play Donkey Kong Arcade. The Dpad is perfect. Best $50 I ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-Controller-Windows-macOS-Android/dp/B0748S1VDC/

• Like 1

8bitdo SN Pro controllers are already Switch Pro compatible (wireless), and feature all necessary buttons plus motion control. It only lacks HD Rumble and Amiibo support. I used mine (SNES style NA Purple) to play Donkey Kong Arcade. The Dpad is perfect. Best $50 I ever spent.

https://www.amazon.com/8Bitdo-SN30-Controller-Windows-macOS-Android/dp/B0748S1VDC/

Yes I know, I've got a NES30 (the Apple one). ;) But I don't use it a lot (I've got a Pro Controller too) and when I do, I always waste a lot of time syncing it again... :(

I meant 8BitDo could create a new Retro Receiver to use these NES controllers on a real NES!

Edited by roots.genoa

I've got the SN30 Pro model of theirs, I haven't used it in ages so I know the battery is flat. I don't quite get the thing though. A good reason why I put it down and the SN30 black that came with my analogue Super NT was the fact they don't seem all that keen on being turned off and they just suck the battery out of them in no time. I got fed up with having to consistently tether the thing to keep the battery from cratering and then as roots pointed out, the syncing sucks (on the Switch, the retro receiver is no issue on the SNT.)

I like the thing, but the stupid behavior it has with the Switch is pure bs which sucks as it works great for retro platformers and the NES goodies should be a breeze with it too feeling like a toploader dogbone controller.

I've got the SN30 Pro model of theirs, I haven't used it in ages so I know the battery is flat. I don't quite get the thing though. A good reason why I put it down and the SN30 black that came with my analogue Super NT was the fact they don't seem all that keen on being turned off and they just suck the battery out of them in no time. I got fed up with having to consistently tether the thing to keep the battery from cratering and then as roots pointed out, the syncing sucks (on the Switch, the retro receiver is no issue on the SNT.)

I like the thing, but the stupid behavior it has with the Switch is pure bs which sucks as it works great for retro platformers and the NES goodies should be a breeze with it too feeling like a toploader dogbone controller.

Biggest caveat is you cannot turn on the Switch with the SN30. Once you have synced it once, the Switch will recognise it. Hit power on the Switch, then Start+B (or was it Y; I forgot) on the 8bitdo and it will sync up. Do not plug it into the Switch to charge it or the Switch console will crash with "an error has occured."

Leave it on a charger when you aren't using it and you'll never have to worry about dead batteries. Yes, all of the 8bitdo controllers will eventually die after a couple weeks or so if you don't use them. PS3 controllers and Switch Pro controllers will die in a couple months left off the charger, so will the Wii-U gamepad. I bought a 10ft usba to usbc charging cable for the 8bitdo, so I can just sit comfortably on the couch tethered to an outlet if I need to.

I'm going to pull it out here in a moment, that post reminded me to charge the bloodsucker again and I'll use my laptop usb port to be safe about it. The NES library of the $20/yr Nintendo Network goes live in a day and a half now isn't it? (18th)

Also it's the NES30pro I have, not sure why I said SN, never had the SNES one. And I looked it's Power+Y for Switch mode. I know mine is flashed to firmware 4, but it appears they have done 2 minor revisions since for stability sake.

Edited by Tanooki

Now that's one I wonder if they can work out but in a special way.

For one you'd need the Tetris Co to sign off which I doubt would be too much of a problem with other games out there. But how many of you are aware here that 5-6 years ago give or take someone did some hardcore deep sniff hacking and cracking on the NES game and discovered in development it was originally going to be a 2P game? They got far enough along that it works, but is just missing some features. You can read about it here: https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Tetris_(NES)#Lack_of_2_Player_mode But a group/person called infidelity between 2012 and finishing/improving it in 2013 finished it up as Tetris Zero. They took the competitive mode that NIntendo themselves created and made it work and display right, also even added in high score SRAM save too for those who make their own carts or use flash kits. I love how they took what Nintendo started and didn't get creative with it, but just finished it off with class and style like Nintendo would or should have done back in the day. I am not a fan of hacks but this one along with the in game map/translation fix MMC upgrade to Castlevania 2 are on my short list.

Here's a breakdown of what this hack did with the NIntendo bones of 2P mode they closed off:

This is a 2 player hack for the NES version of Tetris. In order to accomplish this, the ROM was converted from MMC1 to MMC3. The PRG was expanded to have 2 additional PRG banks.

Also, a custom bankswap routine was added since no bankswap was present in the original ROM. The following features were added:

• Enabled 2 player mode.
  • Created custom controls for 2nd player on non & in-game screens.
  • Created custom designs for A/B-Type 2 player mode.
  • Created asm to allow 2nd player to have stats shown on in-game screen.
  • Player 2 has the ability to write their name into the scoreboard.
  • Added a new gameplay feature to the B-Type Mode. In B-Type mode, in order to win 25 lines must be cleared. There is now the ability to choose how many lines to clear. There is a choice from 01-80 lines to clear.
  • Player 2 now has the ability to obtain their own game piece, no longer sharing/stealing from player 1.
  • Player 2 now has a proper NEXT piece box, along with working select button to enable/disable display.
  • Player 2 now has the ability to select an additional +10 levels from what they choose from A/B-Type (player 1 can hold the A button down when they have level 0-9 highlighted, and when they press start with A button held, the player will start +10 levels from what was selected. Player 2 can also do the same thing. However, this can only be done while player 2 holds down the B button. When player 1 presses start, player 2 needs to have the B button held down in order to get the +10 level).
  • Like 2