Photo

Sega Master System/Atari 7800 controllers

4 replies to this topic

#1 sidney OFFLINE  

sidney

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:30 AM

As I've recently just got my ST I have been really enjoying some gaming on it. I have been using an Atari 2600 joystick which works fine (naturally) but I'm not really big on sticks as I have always preferred pads. I have a couple of Master System and Atari 7800 joypads I'd prefer to use but I am scared of frying any chips inside the ST if they were in any way incompatible. I know I won't get 2 button compatibility but I'm not concerned with that. I know that the C64 hates MegaDrive pads and I'm pretty sure the Amiga does too, I have never had a definitive answer as to whether using MS/7800 pads on Commodore machines is either ok or terrible so I'm in a quandary there and now I'm wondering the same about their use on an ST. As usual----Any advice gratefully received.

#2 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 845 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:31 AM

Just don't even try it...

The extra signals will lock up the IKBC which controls the keyboard & mouse which will freeze the ST.

You can safely use a Sega controller in the mouse port though for two player games but not in the primary joystick port.

#3 Christos OFFLINE  

Christos

Stargunner

• 1,020 posts

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 AM

I am pretty sure that you can use a Master System controller but not an atari 7800 one.

I am using a PS2 controller on mine after some arduino tinkering.

#4 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 845 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:14 PM

You're right I forgot, the Master System controller will work since it doesn't use 5V through the extra pins.

The mushy D-pad is actually great for diagonal jumping. :)

#5 Zogging Hell OFFLINE  

Zogging Hell

Moonsweeper

• 420 posts

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:41 AM

The Cheetah bollistix and the AM Action Pad are two joy pads made specifically for the ST/ Amiga (although I presume they will also work on the Master System. The latter has the benefit that the second fire button gives ultra fast 'autofire' when you hold it down (seems perfectly set up for Xenon 2), although the d-pad seems a little over sensitive for a lot of ST games. The former tends to give me hand cramp if I use it for too long, although the d-pad is nicer. In my opinion they are both better than the Master System controller, the d-pad on that always felt a little flakey to me.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users