Photo

forget Polymega, I can't wait for odroid to run Saturn!

3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

River Patroller

• 2,198 posts

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 PM

Due to a few random searches about the Polymega I stumbled across these videos from within the last week. Looks like the odroid device is going to run Saturn pretty well in the very near future. Sign me up!

and I just LOVE what the same guy has done to 3D-print his own Sega Saturn Mini ..... I want one!

#2 Newsdee OFFLINE  

Newsdee

Stargunner

• 1,231 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:55 AM

For anything 32 bits and above emulation seems the way to go today. Especially considering that one can sometimes upgrade the 3D visuals by neat techniques such as increasing internal resolution. It looks great on PS2 emulation on PC...

For anything 16 bits, we now have multiple FPGA devices for pretty much everything except the Neo Geo, but I wouldn't be suprised if the gap closes soonish.

#3 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,825 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:37 AM

He keeps saying "it's very playable" which sets off my alarms as meaning "it's nowhere near right"

But this is software emulation on an under-powered device, so I'd expect it not to be great, even when it matures, and terms like 'perfect emulation' start getting thrown about.

At 9:30 in the second vid he claims that there aren't a lot of racers for Sega Saturn, (if that doesn't set alarms off, nothing does) so I don't believe he has enough experience with the system to have a good accuracy reference.  I can really see the choppiness in Astal a few seconds later, which isn't even watchable, much less "playable."

Edited by Reaperman, Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:56 AM.

#4 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 7,980 posts

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:29 AM

I remember a time when Atari 2600 emulation was "very playable." And it kept improving over the years.

The Saturn is a complicated machine. Being patient and supportive of the emulator author's efforts is the important thing at this point. Personally, I find the demonstrations in these videos very impressive, despite the minor video problems, which are being corrected case-by-case.

I wish they would have shown how Castlevania SOTN plays on current Saturn emulators. :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users