Photo

Fake/Repaired Promotional only Vader 2600?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Johnrh OFFLINE  

Johnrh

Star Raider

• 52 posts
  • _Riding the wave_

Posted Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:18 PM

Hello i recently bought this Atari 2600 4-switch vader in a lot of consoles from a man looking to downsize, I only discovered that this vader had the promotional only engraving and what not when i got home but i cannot find any Vader promotional only's.

This is also different because i thought promotional only's had chrome switches? This is why i had fake in the title because i believe it was just repaired or cobbled together from parts.. Really no idea here as i am a newby to this... Any help or guidance is appreciated! Will take any more photos needed, taking it apart now to see what the board looks like...

qLLUPme.jpg

0jcwVij.jpg

PT6YA3G.jpg

lktvFe0.jpg

#2 alex_79 OFFLINE  

alex_79

Stargunner

• 1,195 posts

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:32 AM

The bezel with orange border is probably from a "Woody" console (or it has been painted), as in Vader models it was all black.

#3 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

River Patroller

• 2,506 posts

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 PM

There were many 2600s sold by Atari that consisted of parts recovered from returned units, often mix-and-match like that...mostly refurbished, but promos too.

#4 R.Cade OFFLINE  

R.Cade

Stargunner

• 1,279 posts

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:55 PM

Yeah, not really "fake". No reason to fake anything, the promotional versions don't have more value. 

It is a mix of parts as mentioned.

#5 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,719 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:02 PM

PT6YA3G.jpg

A Sunnyvale sticker with an El-Paso Texas factory designation (EP-034).  Pretty unique and cool in its own right.  I say, fire it up, play some games and enjoy it. :thumbsup:

#6 Johnrh OFFLINE  

Johnrh

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • _Riding the wave_

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:15 PM

A Sunnyvale sticker with an El-Paso Texas factory designation (EP-034).  Pretty unique and cool in its own right.  I say, fire it up, play some games and enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Thank you. Seller said it didn't work but I opened it up and cleaned it up a bit which did the job. Played some spider fighter earlier! Also what significance does the El-Paso designation have? Ive never seen the extra stuff like that on one before.

Definitely a neat cobbled together piece!

#7 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,719 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:35 PM

Usually means that the unit came from that facility. Atari had a plant in El Paso. Not sure if they manufactured items there or just assembled them. IIRC, the stickers that have an EP designation, normally say Made in Mexico, so the El Paso plant may have just been a final assembly shop. However, this is pure speculation on my part.

I have several CX22 and CX52 Trak-Ball controllers from that plant. My kids controller and 5200 VCS Cartridge Adapter are also from there.

#8 Johnrh OFFLINE  

Johnrh

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • _Riding the wave_

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:39 PM

Usually means that the unit was manufactured at that facility. Atari had a plant in El Paso. I have several CX22 and CX52 Trak-Ball controllers that were mfg. there. My kids controller and 5200 VCS Cartridge Adapter were also manufactured there.

Huh interesting, what do you think of the console? Some sort of refurbished unit? This just has me stumped as to exactly what it's purpose was lol.

#9 sramirez2008 OFFLINE  

sramirez2008

River Patroller

• 2,719 posts
  • Stella Foreva

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:50 PM

It could be a total Frankenstein, (including the Sunnyvale sticker) that was refurbished and or assembled from cobbled together parts in El Paso. I guess we’ll never really know, but the main thing is that it works. The rest makes for a great conversation.

I like stuff like this. Would love to able to speak with someone that worked at these facilities to get their take on it.

Enjoy it!

#10 Johnrh OFFLINE  

Johnrh

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • _Riding the wave_

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:53 PM

Thank you! I'm extremely happy to have it as an interesting piece in my collection now. Even happier at the low 'EP' number! Very interesting indeed, hopefully someday I can get more information about it!

#11 Osgeld OFFLINE  

Osgeld

Quadrunner

• 5,867 posts

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 PM

yea its just a pile of parts combined into a working system, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you were not deceived in the sale 

the only system outside a heavy sixer I ever got any extra out of was a store demo sunnyvale 4 switcher with chrome switches and the address of the store hand engraved (by the store with a electric tool) in above good but not great condition

that combination earned me an extra 10 bucks in bids

Edited by Osgeld, Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 PM.

#12 Johnrh OFFLINE  

Johnrh

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • _Riding the wave_

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:59 PM

yea its just a pile of parts combined into a working system, and there's nothing wrong with that as long as you were not deceived in the sale 

the only system outside a heavy sixer I ever got any extra out of was a store demo sunnyvale 4 switcher with chrome switches and the address of the store hand engraved (by the store with a electric tool) in above good but not great condition

that combination earned me an extra 10 bucks in bids

No problem by me, like I said I got it in a lot and was told it wouldn't even work. It's a very interesting pile of parts anyways...

#13 Johnrh OFFLINE  

Johnrh

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • _Riding the wave_

Posted Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 PM

Also does anyone know what the EPX stands for that's engraved/stamped on the bottom?

#14 Johnrh OFFLINE  

Johnrh

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts
  • _Riding the wave_

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:40 PM

Bump, anyone know what the engraved EPX stands for? El Paso Texas?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users