IGNORED

The Last Starfighter - movie info

kiwilove

I thought this was reasonably interesting - 10 things you didn't know about The Last StarFighter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Pzxzp2m2I

It doesn't go into any detail about the 8-bit Atari game though.

Couldn't help but notice how the Last StarFighter button/logo has the Atari symbol in it.

Rewatching the movie some time ago - I don't think the movie aged that well. To me the story is just too corny - just doesn't have the right tone to it.

On another note entirely - one movie I missed out on - back in the day. is the move - They Live!

When there's nothing else to watch on the TV - this is a good movie to sit through.

Harvey

• Like 3

As it happens I had it show up on the suggested list and watched it about a day ago.

I was also not impressed that there was no proper Atari mentions and the NES game got more attention.

I've watched one or two of his other similarly themed movie reviews and they were better researched than that.

Atari obviously had very close ties with the film as seen from the credits and the fact there was a game developed, why it changed I'm not sure, its probably well known why but it escapes me. I'm a huge fan of the film, it broke boundaries in the CG world, more so that Tron and if you like the film then you HAVE to get the 25th Anniversary DVD 2 disc, its packed with loads of extra's and info and iirc there's some (small) info re Atari..(I could be wrong)

I love it as does user Gunstar (the big clue obviously is the user name, the name of the ship used in the main fight)..

Personally the Last Starfighter game makes 10000% more sense than the crude change to Star Raiders II...

• Like 3

I made the connection between SR2 and TLS right away. At the time, I thought Atari was ripping off the film.

IIRC, the commentary goes into it a little bit about why Atari dropped out. The film scored pretty well among critics, but the audience just wasn't there - running against Gremlins, Ghostbusters, Star Trek III, Temple of Doom, etc. It also cost a bundle to make (Cray computer time was spendy)...so it ended up being a dud.

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

There was a leaked original 8-bit version, which is what I got. It was 100% TLS. Actually, Star Raiders used to get played a lot too, very escapist types of games for the 80's. I'd turn the lights off and revel in it.

The movie wasn't a smash, but it did make money.

The last Starfighter is one of my favorite ever movies, I still love it. Probably in part to me sitting in front of the radiationtron 300 with my 800XL playing said game when I was a kid. I think it has held up well, tbh. It ranks up there with Back to the Future.

I listened to the whole commentary track on the DVD a while back, and thought it was pretty interesting. IIRC it was one of the earliest movies to use CG, and the few minutes of CG used in the movie took almost the entire production time of the movie to render on Cray supercomputers, ready just in time to include at post-production. The software improvements made and developed during the production of this movie later benefited the later original Star Wars movie.

Edit: looks like wikipedia knows much more (accurate) info about this than me... star wars was first.. TLS benefited from tech from starwars...

- 27 minutes of CG generated for the film

- "each frame of the animation contained an average of 250,000 polygons, and had a resolution of 3000 × 5000 36-bit pixels" that's pretty impressive for 1983, still higher res than 4K today!

• Like 3

Just happened to bump into a video of an arcade proto for the movie-tie-in game, yesterday. It's rough, corrupted, incomplete and shows more as a tech demo for what they had in mind. It's pretty claustrophobic as it works, right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=162YhVI-SDA

EDIT: For some other pertinent stuffs.

http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/dettaglio_mame.php?game_name=laststar

The Rogue Synapse mock-up, based on the depiction of the coin-op in the film, seemed pretty nice, though it's been about 10 years since I've played that.

Edited by AtariNerd

omg, where's the rest of it. that's way early in it's development and yes it is corrupted badly and yet it's running, I would have expected it to crash or do some weirder things, unless it's was patched up a bit or was edited and looped,,,,

look to I Robot and see where things were sort of going.. but intended on a larger scale

people called it fake but it wasn't

In any event we have last starfighter for 8 bit, I, Robot was going to be put out on all video and home computer consoles.. If it hadn't been for the time, and low initial movie takings ... we would have had the completed arcade and console titles for both across the board..

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

That was a fun flick. Shame the modern sequel by the original director seems to be stuck in development hell.

I think the whole Big Brother / brainwashing ideal might be too much for some of the millennial's to handle, might disturb their silly arguments about people being 'non binary'...Jebus

Anyway, I'm way off topic :)

• Like 2

On another note entirely - one movie I missed out on - back in the day. is the move - They Live!

When there's nothing else to watch on the TV - this is a good movie to sit through.

Harvey

Of course it was a great movie - WWF legend Roddy Piper was in it!

Greetings Starfighter. You have been recruited by the Starleague to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-dan Armada.

Download the full game (as in the movie) here: http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

Shhhhhh.... that's a secret.... Well not exactly like in the movie, thruster/targetting controls aren't like in the movie cabinet (two axis or gymbal). Read notes on what isn't exactly finished or correct other than that.... Still something to enjoy.

DOC

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

I think the whole Big Brother / brainwashing ideal might be too much for some of the millennial's to handle, might disturb their silly arguments about people being 'non binary'...Jebus

Anyway, I'm way off topic :)

Yeah, well some of us non binary types are not millennials. And quite honestly, I'm getting pretty sick of people making snide remarks about something that they haven't bothered to understand or follow the science on.

Try growing up in an area full of fundamentalist bigots and see how 'silly' it is.

Just a short reply, I don't understand it because every thing I see or my daughter shows me seems to evolve into a who new 'identity' 2 mins later, not bigotry, utter confusion here..

LGBT has so many letters after it I cannot possibly keep up or even want to try...Its too evasive..My daughter shows me a lot of it as its highly prevalent in the COS play circles and I gave up trying to decide who was what and what I was or wasn't meant to say..

Make it easier or don't get annoyed...

Paul..

• Like 2

Just a short reply, I don't understand it because every thing I see or my daughter shows me seems to evolve into a who new 'identity' 2 mins later, not bigotry, utter confusion here..

LGBT has so many letters after it I cannot possibly keep up or even want to try...Its too evasive..My daughter shows me a lot of it as its highly prevalent in the COS play circles and I gave up trying to decide who was what and what I was or wasn't meant to say..

Make it easier or don't get annoyed...

Paul..

Fair enough. I'm not saying that the kiddos don't get a bit silly with it, they do, but it's actually not that complex. If you want an explanation, I'll be happy to provide it... but lets not sidetrack this thread any further. Shoot me a PM.

Here's the rub, without going down some garden, path...

About the science, if you care to read past the filtered sterilized political, ideological crap... that's right the actual findings without someones opinions and bending it to words and will of their choosing. The unvarnished truth, nothing suppressed is...

Male, Female, Hermaphrodite, hormone/chemical unbalance, or neurological/psychological disorder.. these can be caused by environment, social construct, or someones choice based on imprintation based on experience or first pleasures. As the studies have come to a full cycle you can read about dysphoria and it's complete progression. Once you have peoples opinions or their own disposition inserted into the paper to justify their own needs, it is no longer science. It becomes subjective and political. This prevents understanding, acceptance for those that are hermaphroditic, and caring / treatment or help for those who have other issues.

I am sure neither side will like that answer. But there isn't and shouldn't be a side!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2