IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

YouTube will be infected with a bunch of 20-something gamer vids making 23 minute rant videos about this, even before it's released.

"hey guys, derpgamer here, and you probably heard about the playstation classic..... " (20 minutes of yammering)

You forgot the requests to like, comment, subscribe, hit the bell, check out the patreon and discord, follow on twitter, facebook, and instagram, and stay tuned at the end for a word from your sponsor...

• Like 8

YouTube will be infected with a bunch of 20-something gamer vids making 23 minute rant videos about this, even before it's released.

"hey guys, derpgamer here, and you probably heard about the playstation classic..... " (20 minutes of yammering)

I'm already seeing a lot of people using the same old "why buy this when you can just emulate with a Raspberry Pi" argument. Nevermind the fact that Nintendo's mini consoles faced the same criticism and sold well regardless, and that most people don't have the technical know-how to even set up emulation on a Raspberry Pi...

Personally I'm not particularly interested in this since I've never owned a Playstation console, but I can see the appeal.

I concur. Considering that I do a lot of my gaming on my lunch break or when I have time while I am out and about, a portable device would be really interesting. However, if this doesn't show just how hot, popular, and mainstream retro gaming is becoming, I don't know what will.

It's cute ...and a hundred bucks. I'm sure this will sell really well, much better than the (much more powerful and versatile) PlayStation TV.

I wonder what the margins would be on a new PSP with preloaded games? That would be more interesting to me.

• Like 1

They'll have to include a few more classic racers such as Gran Turismo 2, Crash Team Racing and WipeOut XL. You could practically fill the thing with racing games alone.

All three Crash Bandicoots will have to be on there.

Metal Gear Solid.

Symphony of the Night.

Klonoa.

Einhander.

Resident Evil 2

• Like 4

I'm already seeing a lot of people using the same old "why buy this when you can just emulate with a Raspberry Pi" argument. Nevermind the fact that Nintendo's mini consoles faced the same criticism and sold well regardless, and that most people don't have the technical know-how to even set up emulation on a Raspberry Pi...

Personally I'm not particularly interested in this since I've never owned a Playstation console, but I can see the appeal.

Same on both counts. I have no idea where people get this idea that the general public is interested in cobbling together hobbyist components and learning entirely new skills just to get the same end result for roughly the same amount of money. A full RPI setup will end up costing you about what an NES classic would, and you have to do a lot more work than opening a box and plugging it in.

I don't see myself getting one, as I'm pretty sure every PS1 game that interests me I already have, or could obtain VERY cheaply. However, depending on how they handle the hackability thing, I could see maybe getting one for tinkering reasons. On one hand, Sony likes to lock down their hardware just as much as Nintendo does, so logically you'd think they'd try to make it un-hackable*. On the other hand, Nintendo at least made the token effort to discourage hacking... Sony could see that as an opportunity and just run in the opposite direction.

*Yes, we know anything can be hacked, eventually.

• Like 1

They'll have to include a few more classic racers such as Gran Turismo 2, Crash Team Racing and WipeOut XL. You could practically fill the thing with racing games alone.

All three Crash Bandicoots will have to be on there.

Metal Gear Solid.

Symphony of the Night.

Klonoa.

Einhander.

Resident Evil 2

for mine - I'd like to see:

Tenchu - Stealth Assassins

Colony Wars

Gex - Enter the Gecko

THPS2

It really just depends. I would imagine you would have to have a Crash Bandicoot game, Gran Turismo, and a Twisted Metal. However, 20 games, while somewhat plentiful, is not all that much in reality.

Looks cool. Though as others have said, you gotta have Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Solid, Crash Bandicoot, Gran Turismo, Spyro, Twisted Metal, no?

It really just depends. I would imagine you would have to have a Crash Bandicoot game, Gran Turismo, and a Twisted Metal. However, 20 games, while somewhat plentiful, is not all that much in reality.

20 games is a very small number considering the scope of the original Playstation's library. As I said, they could practically fill it with classic racers alone. I'm sure they're planning on future releases with more games if this sells well.

Edited by mbd30
  • Like 1

tumblr_nzanbw8ERE1qzpcg0o1_400.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=10997713

:lol: Hey, I'm sure most video game packrats here are in the same boat.. i.e. Every game that's been announced I've already had for years and years, so it's not like I'm chomping at the bit to play them. So the attraction is definitely the official mini hardware. That said, of course the hdmi out is cool. :)

Agreed. This should sell very well, but considering how many noteworthy games came out on this system, multiple iterations are a definite possibility.

20 games is a very small number considering the scope of the original Playstation's library. As I said, they could practically fill it with classic racers alone. I'm sure they're planning on future releases with more games if this sells well.

I'm already seeing a lot of people using the same old "why buy this when you can just emulate with a Raspberry Pi" argument.

Ooh, ooh! I know! It's because Playstation games look like dithery ass on a Raspberry Pi! It's like, stray pixels everywhere, man. Looks like a Georges Seurat painting in low resolution.

If this can be hacked and loaded up a la NES Classic / SNES Classic, then definitely it would make this product better IMO.

Very cool that Sony is getting in on the "classic" plug and play market! For me, I'm more interested in if the thing can be modded/hacked. I already have multiple ways to play PS1 games and a stash of great PS1 games, but I haven't dabbled in PS1 emulation yet.

• Like 1

Ooh, ooh! I know! It's because Playstation games look like dithery ass on a Raspberry Pi! It's like, stray pixels everywhere, man. Looks like a Georges Seurat painting in low resolution.

Is that because of the RPi or because they're using a wonky emulator on that RPi?

PS1 emulation has gotten really good in the last few years.

Wipeout XL hasn't shown up on any retro lists yet, probably because of all the licensed music.

Here's the thing for me ... if I'm going to plunk down in front of my TV to play games on the couch (a dubious proposition anyway for me these days), I might as well ...

- play with a wireless controller

- play a remixed/sequel version of the game (Wipeout HD and Tekken 7 in particular)

- enjoy the crispy graphics and online play

I'm certain there are people who loooooooved the PS One and stopped there, for whom this would be perfect. Sold state FF7 is likely a system seller to some folks.

You just know I'll probably buy one anyway, but it's hard to get excited about this when they've been selling and giving away PSone games digitally on PSP/Vita/PS3 for over a decade. I guess since the PS4 doesn't play oldies, the demand might have built up again.

• Like 1