IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

I don't understand why they wouldn't just release the NTSC versions in the US and PAL versions in those countries where people grew up with them. Why PAL for everybody? What a bunch of bullshit.

Probably for the same reason it doesn't come with a USB power adapter - so they can sell one SKU in Europe and the Americas.

• Like 2

Probably for the same reason it doesn't come with a USB power adapter - so they can sell one SKU in Europe and the Americas.

Then they could have released both versions of games and had people select their region?

It still seems like a very half assed effort.

Here's the list of games that appear to have been tested by Sony, thanks to notations for them in the software.

• Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon
  • Colin McRae Rally
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Crash 2
  • Driver
  • Ehrgeiz
  • Fighting Force
  • Gran Turismo
  • GTA 2
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
  • Kagero
  • Klonoa
  • Kula World
  • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
  • Medal of Honor
  • MediEvil
  • Mega Man Legends
  • Mr. Driller G
  • Paca Paca Passion
  • PaRappa the Rapper
  • Parasite Eve
  • RayStorm
  • Ridge Racer
  • Silent Hill
  • Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol
  • Street Fighter Alpha 3
  • Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
  • Suikoden
  • Tomb Raider
  • Tomb Raider 2
  • Tomba
  • Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
  • Toy Story 2
  • Vagrant Story
  • Wild Arms 2
  • Xevious 3D/G+

Klonoa, Parasite Eve, Suikoden, and Raystorm would have been vastly better choices than a good number of games which did make it.

Ridge Racer would have been much more nostalgic than R4. They could even have used the 60FPS Ridge Racer included with the R4 package.

I'm sad with how this turned out, but then again I didn't order it or any of the other recent mini consoles.

• Like 2

I saw this video as well. Needless to say, we all saw this coming. Still, the whole purpose of a mini or flashback type system to literally plug and play, and do so to good degree. It just seems the 'play' part is missing from this system, and that is a shame. Shoot, even AtGames has managed to right the ship to a vast degree this year as I saw that the deluxe FB9 comes with a 2GB SD card. Gee, you think that they don't know their system can be updated and loaded up with ROMs? Overall, this is a shoddy product and not worth $100 IMO.

There's a better story out overnight in text explaining things, though that video is nice. Basically as it stands now some hacker types have got it to where you can stuff a thumb drive in the units port, having a mirror of the data on the original system present on it, and this allows you to however they worked it to add more game images to the mix and it will pick them up from the menu. It requires I guess that external computer at this rate as it's being worked on now as seen in that video, but that's a hell of a good step and word was that it could be a week or a month, but it appears this will be busted wide open as the Nintendo products. I'm re-evaluating my disinterest and disgust with it, though they'll need to fix the emulator considering it has its own problems too, but allowing whatever game to run is a huge step to making things right.

• Like 2

Agreed. If this can be hacked and broken wide open, definitely this will ramp up interest in the device. However, the damage is more or less done as others (The C64 Mini, Atari FB9, etc) make adding more games a lot easier and (arguably) come with more desirable games, too. Still, it should help sell the device, that's for sure.

There's a better story out overnight in text explaining things, though that video is nice. Basically as it stands now some hacker types have got it to where you can stuff a thumb drive in the units port, having a mirror of the data on the original system present on it, and this allows you to however they worked it to add more game images to the mix and it will pick them up from the menu. It requires I guess that external computer at this rate as it's being worked on now as seen in that video, but that's a hell of a good step and word was that it could be a week or a month, but it appears this will be busted wide open as the Nintendo products. I'm re-evaluating my disinterest and disgust with it, though they'll need to fix the emulator considering it has its own problems too, but allowing whatever game to run is a huge step to making things right.

• Like 1

This is what I've been saying all along - wait for the modders and hackers to get their hands on it before final judgement of the unit. Sony's sloppy handling of everything has made it easy to get into the Classic's innards. Once the modders simplify the procedures of upgrading the emulator and adding games then I expect the Classic to sell out quickly and become collector's items.

• Like 2

In that video, he recommends turning off auto frame skip and setting skip to 0, which could introduce slowdown. Not sure I agree, because if it wouldn't slow down, the frame skip is 0 anyway. I don't see an upside to making that change.

The USB flash drive hack is cool, though.

Edited by derFunkenstein

Definitely things are improving for the PS1 Classic. However, having to do all of these tweaks out of the box will probably turn off a lot of people, but increase interested with modders. Overall, this should be a success for Sony, but could've been a lot better, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I'm really glad people have figured this out so fast! I saw these in stores over the weekend, and there were piles of them sitting on the shelf. Maybe they will actually sell now.

FWIW, it looks like a quality piece. The box and the console look great!

As for me, I'm teaching my Retropie how to use the same emulator, mainly because I already have the thing. I loaded about 200 games on a 128GB Micro SD and have been transferring files over to it since yesterday. I tested it out with Castlevania: SOTN which I know very well, and performance has been OK so far. It was a little laggy and glitchy at times, but the thing was also receiving games over WiFi and had been on for hours at that point. Hopefully it does better after everything has made the transfer and after tweaking some settings.

This thing encouraged me to pick up an Nvidia Shield TV. I figure if I'm gonna hack something to play other games, it should be more powerful, be able to play other systems, and at least have wireless controls and TV apps. This PS classic mini isn't even a garden variety android once hacked, and you're tethered to the thing.

• Like 2

The Nvidia Shield TV has power in spades. I know I commented on one of your posts in another thread, but honestly the Nvidia Shield TV has plenty of horsepower to play PS1 games, I can guarantee it. While the PS1 is becoming more desirable and worthy of purchasing, it takes too much hacking and modding to really be worth the $100 you have to pay. But, I can see its appeal and I can understand if people want to pick it up.

This thing encouraged me to pick up an Nvidia Shield TV. I figure if I'm gonna hack something to play other games, it should be more powerful, be able to play other systems, and at least have wireless controls and TV apps. This PS classic mini isn't even a garden variety android once hacked, and you're tethered to the thing.

The Nvidia Shield TV is fascinating. I've had one for a few years now and I must say that as a cord cutter it's by far the worst of the streaming media boxes I use (the others are Roku's and an Apple TV 4k). I really have to get around to using it more like it seems a lot of other people do and some of you on here plan on doing with the emulation stuff. I resisted to this point because I didn't want to bother and was rather turned off by the relative clumsiness of the included game controller (although I understand that it can work with others). It still boggles my mind that if you're not Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, it seems incredibly difficult to get a modern controller right.

The Nvidia Shield TV is pretty fascinating. I will say that only recently has the device gotten better as a streamer, although Roku, Amazon, and Apple still are better options in that regard as my Roku 3 (2013 model) is still up and running. Still, the Nvidia is a good little device that is quite capable and a lot more flexible than what Roku, Amazon, and Apple are offering. Also, regarding the controller, it is not too bad in my opinion, although I prefer the Xbox controller(s) over the others. However, I understand what you mean as even though it is good, it still could be a bit better.

The Nvidia Shield TV is fascinating. I've had one for a few years now and I must say that as a cord cutter it's by far the worst of the streaming media boxes I use (the others are Roku's and an Apple TV 4k). I really have to get around to using it more like it seems a lot of other people do and some of you on here plan on doing with the emulation stuff. I resisted to this point because I didn't want to bother and was rather turned off by the relative clumsiness of the included game controller (although I understand that it can work with others). It still boggles my mind that if you're not Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo, it seems incredibly difficult to get a modern controller right.

You did the right thing there. I have the slightly less powered step below the tablet, the earlier (same guts) model with the stylus they used to include. That thing is a beast only hindered by not just the bloated Android OS but Nvidia also forces its own set of multiple processes as well that are pigs. I've seen good results looking it up when people go nuts and remove the crap from them and slim the Android environment. That's why I used to at times make comments how the Switch isn't as bad as it appears with the downclocked setup it has, the OS on the Switch is minuscule as it is, microscopic to the pig party of a stock nvidia shield setup. It's a very capable system when you get beyond generics to stuff that's just and specifically coded to use the Tegra and going between the X1 and K1 of yours and mine you have a lot of room to work with. Dolphin the GC/Wii emulator was successfully and smoothly ported to it to give a taste, which make sense considering the China only Nintendo/Nvidia device that runs those converted GC/Wii titles for sale.

If it can run that, there's no conceivable reason why PS1 wouldn't be like butter on there.

Bill was right, it's not best for streaming, well at least outside of their own wonky co-dependent streaming setup with Nvidia 800 (or was it 900) model video chips and up. It's nothing great or terrible otherwise relying on the usual suspects like Netflix and the rest, maybe worse really.

What always fascinated me about it was the cheap pricepoint and the overkill level of hardware for the time seemed to be a bit more future proof than various other tablets of the time or on the horizon when it popped up. The fact now like 3-4 years later it still ranks well says enough I suppose.

I really should see about figuring out network share with a few things, would be nice to somehow figure out how to cast stuff back to the laptop if not better yet the TV. I just don't keep up as the tech usually changes and gets testy with older stuff.

The Nvidia Shield TV is pretty fascinating. I will say that only recently has the device gotten better as a streamer, although Roku, Amazon, and Apple still are better options in that regard as my Roku 3 (2013 model) is still up and running. Still, the Nvidia is a good little device that is quite capable and a lot more flexible than what Roku, Amazon, and Apple are offering. Also, regarding the controller, it is not too bad in my opinion, although I prefer the Xbox controller(s) over the others. However, I understand what you mean as even though it is good, it still could be a bit better.

I have the older Nvidia Shield Portable, and it's my go-to for emulation. I really wish they'd updated the hardware in the portable form factor to the newer processor. I either use it as a handheld or hook it up to my TV and use the Nvidia wireless controller or the 8bitdo SNES style Bluetooth controller. It's my favourite gaming device.

• Like 1