IGNORED

PlayStation Classic (mini) is coming...............

I hope UmJammer Lammy is up here instead of PaRapper; it's the better game by far and Lammy deserves the spotlight.

Between this and finding out the MegaDrive Mini's not being done by AtGames anymore, and a probably N64 Mini coming, I guess this'll be the future of retro gaming if ROM sites keep coming under attack....welp, as long as the devices are actually QUALITY and they provide legal means to add more games (from the entire platform library) to the devices, maybe even do stuff like official translations for stuff left in Japan etc....I'd be okay with it tbh.

20 games is a very small number considering the scope of the original Playstation's library. As I said, they could practically fill it with classic racers alone. I'm sure they're planning on future releases with more games if this sells well.

It would make more sense if they just had an online store you could purchase the games from and download to the system, and re-issue new runs of the system each holiday season if need be. B/c technically, they already have a store this could access if it has internet connectivity capability (which isn't even that expensive to add). It would just enable more choice and either way, they get their money so why not?

Gotta love how these kinda news launch are always a perfect excuse the fan-favourite sideswipes:

-RPi sucks

-"dithery ass" orignal gfx sucks, we're HDMI/4K ppl here, kthxbai

-game X not included? Sony sucks

-Nintendo was first*, Sony not only sucks but are shameless copycats too

I'm sure there will be more to come :)

*after Atari, NeoGeo & a fuckton of clones, but nevermind that

• Like 2

This is a bit of a surprise as I did not see this coming. However, I am going to wait and see how easy it is to install your own collection to this thing before going after this myself. Another question is does this mean that they will try to do this for the PS2 at some point? That would be a Day One buy for me if that happens.

• Like 1

I can't imagine a PS2 version of this is coming any day soon. That's an entire order of magnitude higher on CPU and storage requirements for games. I expect this is just another emulator device like the others to date. That would give you a higher likelihood of adding games yourself. Though it is technically possible they crammed a Playstation Mini or tweaked Playstation TV board in there and a cheap flash chip/ssd for the games. They do have a bunch of the Playstation TV boards stacked in a warehouse somewhere after that crashed.

This could even offer expandability. There's a door on the rear of the unit which must serve some purpose.

playstation_classic_07_1920.jpg

Maybe, IF there is anything behind it or it is removable, remember they seem to be mimicking the look of the original console so that may just be for aesthetics.

That's the parallel I/O port, for future expansion, of course. They'll remove it in the later editions of the hardware, when it turns out that you need to flip this one on its back for it to work reliably.

post-2410-0-77099800-1537384033_thumb.jpg

[this is where we can start stupid rumors]

A little birdie told me that you could connect a CD drive via USB to load your own games.

[that is a lie, of course]

[this is also a lie]

and that you'll be able to download ROMs straight from Emuparadise, which is the reason they shut that site down, so you could use it here, exclusively on Playstation Classic.

[serioiusly, dont' believe everything you read]

• Like 3

It seems kind of silly when the PS2 is backwards compatible. But I am hoping this prompts some interest in new PSX accessories without a price hike to the games.

In fact, *every* subsequent PlayStation is backward compatible with the PS1.

I've never really been on the hype train with these "classic mini" consoles. The only one I think is somewhat interesting is the Neo Geo one, because it's different. But I haven't actually plunked the money down for that either.

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't really understand the rationale of buying a somewhat smaller version of a console you probably already have, to play the same games. I guess this thing just isn't for me. I already have a bunch of systems that can play PS1 games, and I have all the PS1 games I want.

Now I would buy that as you can get plenty of devices that can run Atari 2600, Atari 7800, NES, SNES, Sega SMS, Sega Genesis, etc. However, something like that I would definitely pick up as playing and/or collecting for that system is very expensive.

Also, since we are going (somewhat) down the mini-console wish list, a Sega Saturn mini would be cool, too.

I'm holding out for the 3DO mini, myself.

The twenty games need to be quite good to make this worth while. If they figured out licensing then it could be some of the greatest games of that era...but if they load up on the nostalgic but kinda crappy from the system launch?...it could be a trainwreck.

I got mine in Fall 98, that's when I felt it had the kinds of games I want.

Battlearena Toshinden...better not be there.

All driving games will suffer with the lack of Dual Shock. Really intrigued to see if that port on the backnis for internet downloads. If so? Instabuy...like it isnt already for me, but loading this up with legal roms is just what I want. And who knows, maybe they release Dual Shocks down the road.

Please Sony, take a chance!

• Like 1

I don't know about this one. The games and controller are really going to matter, and this could backfire if Joe Average buys it and it doesn't have any of the games he wants. Is that just a PS4 controller plug? I hope so or else our Average Joe is going to have a floating garbage island of useless controllers to throw away too.

As I think about their big franchises, I can think of a re-release or licensing problem for all of them. All of their franchises have been re-sold over and over. You don't even have to get into RasPi and emulation. These games are simply "out-there." I would guess they don't have the rights to Crash Bandicoot. And the Spyro games were JUST remastered, so they've gotta be out. Tomb Raider is everywhere on tons of platforms and so is Resident Evil. Even Oddworld just recently remastered its original game(s). THPS? Isn't that owned by EA or Activision?

I would have thought Gran Turismo would be on it though.

I've kinda got a bad feeling about this one. If enough weedshop dudes buy this and realize it is not as good as Nintendo, it could actually hurt the PnP market. I'm gonna start calling it the Playstation Bubble Buster. You will all worship me when my prediction comes true Muahahahaha.

I took this gorilla style photo of my very first PS1 from 95 with the original none dual-shock analog controllers and some first gen games so far I have over 200+ PS1 games but to this day I still don't have both Final Fantasy 7 and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as both of them where stolen from my ex-roommate back in 98 and never played them yet:/

post-5587-0-09335800-1537386565_thumb.png

• Like 4