IGNORED

Something like Pitfall or HERO....

Bones-69

Have been fooling around with a game concept over the last week or so. Something perhaps similar to a Pitfall or HERO style game (single screen platform scroller I guess), set on some strange world where the player can jump and also use a Jetpack in certain areas. I don't envisage any shooting, just a "jump and avoid" style game.

Not sure at this stage if it should be something like Pitfall where it is one large continuous world, or more along the lines of HERO where each individual level is made up of several screens. I think I like the hero style as it seems to offer more flexibility.

Have a few ideas on how to draw each screen efficiently without using too much memory but do expect to rely on loading from disc from time to time. Would be XB compiled and need sprite flickering turned off, or have F18 due to the multicoloured sprites.

I have put together some screen ideas and experimenting with basic themes. I do like the overall feel of it so far.

post-26079-0-47846700-1537420597_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bones-69
  • Like 18

It looks really nice!

If you kept your number of characters per line to 4 or fewer - you could have your multicolor sprites even on the 9918 - sure, parts would disappear, but if it was just the black outline (for instance), then it would still be fully playable and the F18A would just be a free graphics update. ;)

Mind you, nothing wrong with actually using the F18A's feature set :)

Because if the shadow under the bridge, the light source appears to be located above the bridge. Therefore the screen shots with a lighter color on top of the bridge seem more realistic. You could experiment with making the waves closer together (vertically) above the bridge for a perspective effect, and perhaps darkening the color of the water above the bridge.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Have been throwing more time at this idea and it is evolving. Pretty much got all the sprites and character map sorted. Started working on the background graphics and general rules for how to move around in the environment. Worked out how I am going to set triggers during the game to create certain events, reveal secrets etc.

While it will come with a loading delay between screens, I have decided to load each screen from disc. This will require fetching 4 records which will total 768 bytes every time player moves into a new screen. Doing this allows me to keep the graphics prettier and I shouldn't have to worry about memory issues. My current concept has a total of 133 screens. 19 above ground and 114 below although I am still flexible regarding this mix (with a preference for creating more screens above ground and less below). Above ground screens will resemble something like pitfall game-play and the below ground screens will be more like a traditional platform style appearance. That's the current thought process.

Would be great if the old TI supported two fire buttons. One to jump and one to fire.... I feel just a jumping game has some limitations and will get old quick. Thinking about if it would be feasible to have two modes.... When in mode one you can jump and when in mode two you can fire. I do feel that having to use the keyboard to select each mode would be painful so not sure if this idea is worth pursuing.

post-26079-0-84055400-1554264241.png

post-26079-0-50872900-1554264252.png

• Like 4

Use joystick diagonals for jumping.

Up-left = jump left. Up-right = jump right.

Straight left or right + fire = shoot that direction.

Straight Left or right without fire = move that direction.

This still leaves up/down for traversing ladders.

Down + fire = pick up item/ place a bomb?

Yes it is a shame the TI joysticks are only 1 button, but it can usually be worked around.

Edited by jrhodes