Photo

Something like Pitfall or HERO....

7 replies to this topic

#1 Bones-69 OFFLINE  

Bones-69

Chopper Commander

• 206 posts

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:15 PM

Have been fooling around with a game concept over the last week or so. Something perhaps similar to a Pitfall or HERO style game (single screen platform scroller I guess), set on some strange world where the player can jump and also use a Jetpack in certain areas. I don't envisage any shooting, just a "jump and avoid" style game.

Not sure at this stage if it should be something like Pitfall where it is one large continuous world, or more along the lines of HERO where each individual level is made up of several screens. I think I like the hero style as it seems to offer more flexibility.

Have a few ideas on how to draw each screen efficiently without using too much memory but do expect to rely on loading from disc from time to time. Would be XB compiled and need sprite flickering turned off, or have F18 due to the multicoloured sprites.

I have put together some screen ideas and experimenting with basic themes. I do like the overall feel of it so far.

Attached Files

Edited by Bones-69, Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:16 PM.

#2 LASooner OFFLINE  

LASooner

Moonsweeper

• 316 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:06 AM

Nice art

#3 Tursi OFFLINE  

Tursi

Quadrunner

• 5,360 posts
  • HarmlessLion

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:22 AM

It looks really nice!

If you kept your number of characters per line to 4 or fewer - you could have your multicolor sprites even on the 9918 - sure, parts would disappear, but if it was just the black outline (for instance), then it would still be fully playable and the F18A would just be a free graphics update. ;)

Mind you, nothing wrong with actually using the F18A's feature set :)

#4 TheMole ONLINE  

TheMole

Dragonstomper

• 807 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 AM

These are some of the nicest/crispest/cleanest graphics I've seen on the good old 9918a. The "alien planet" setting really makes the most out of the color pallet...

#5 ti99iuc ONLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,561 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:13 AM

I already love it :P 

#6 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Dragonstomper

• 838 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:14 AM

Did you mock the screens up in XB?

#7 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• 1,108 posts

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:11 PM

Excellent use of graphics :)

#8 Asmusr ONLINE  

Asmusr

River Patroller

• 2,947 posts

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:40 PM

Because if the shadow under the bridge, the light source appears to be located above the bridge. Therefore the screen shots with a lighter color on top of the bridge seem more realistic. You could experiment with making the waves closer together (vertically) above the bridge for a perspective effect, and perhaps darkening the color of the water above the bridge. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users