IGNORED

Testers needed for Mr. Do!

Albert

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The 800/XE version of Mr Do was always one of the nicer looking home versions with bright colors, fluid animation and use of multicolor sprites with well defined characters. Makes the Colecovision version look primitive by comparison which suffered from single color sprites and blob like character design. My only complaint with the Atari version is that I felt the beat of the music was too slow, almost sounded as if it were in slow motion. The CV version had the edge in sound which was more similar to the arcade. The perfect home version would be atari graphics and coleco sound

The Atari may have seemed slow if you were playing it in PAL mode. Unfortunately, many of the YouTube videos are also recorded in PAL mode. It's a shame, because it's really not the way the game performed. On my NTSC machine, it's just as smooth and fast as my arcade machine. Fortunately, the 5200 is NTSC only, so it will play the proper speed.

Another thing that may have gotten missed or mixed up is that the ColecoVision didn't play the correct music, and the tunes that were present, such as clearing a level, were in the wrong place. It was really a bad port.

The monsters that appear with alpha monsters (unicorns??) dug through the dirt for some reason, and the enemies just kind of lingered. Sometimes they would still.

An interesting thing to check out, if you have MAME, is the Mr. Do (Prototype) version. The ColecoVision actually uses the music from the Mr. Do prototype. Also fitting, the arcade prototype didn't have a red clown. The prototype had a solid white character, similar to the one Coleco used. If I remember correctly, the unicorns didn't exist in the prototype.

The Atari may have seemed slow if you were playing it in PAL mode. Unfortunately, many of the YouTube videos are also recorded in PAL mode. It's a shame, because it's really not the way the game performed. On my NTSC machine, it's just as smooth and fast as my arcade machine. Fortunately, the 5200 is NTSC only, so it will play the proper speed.

Another thing that may have gotten missed or mixed up is that the ColecoVision didn't play the correct music, and the tunes that were present, such as clearing a level, were in the wrong place. It was really a bad port.

The monsters that appear with alpha monsters (unicorns??) dug through the dirt for some reason, and the enemies just kind of lingered. Sometimes they would still.

An interesting thing to check out, if you have MAME, is the Mr. Do (Prototype) version. The ColecoVision actually uses the music from the Mr. Do prototype. Also fitting, the arcade prototype didn't have a red clown. The prototype had a solid white character, similar to the one Coleco used. If I remember correctly, the unicorns didn't exist in the prototype.

That's good to know, I didn't realize the Coleco port was that far off but after reading what you said I compared the arcade and Coleco and the differences become more clear. The port seems rushed....but then again I believe it was parker bros so that explains alot. I never knew a prototype existed for the Coleco so I'll have to check it out.

I'm really looking forward to this release on the 5200, I think itll be one of the best home versions

• Like 1

That's good to know, I didn't realize the Coleco port was that far off but after reading what you said I compared the arcade and Coleco and the differences become more clear. The port seems rushed....but then again I believe it was parker bros so that explains alot. I never knew a prototype existed for the Coleco so I'll have to check it out.

I'm really looking forward to this release on the 5200, I think itll be one of the best home versions

Glad you liked what I shared. I agree, the A8 always was one of the more accurate. The 5200 will be the best 80's console version. It has arcade nuances that are missing from other versions, even the visually perfect SNES version. The SNES version suffers from poor control, collision detection, and incorrect monster logic. Despite that, it was still a lot of fun back in the day. Back then I wasn't as familiar with Mr. Do, so I didn't even notice.

The prototype is actually an ARCADE prototype, not ColecoVision. You should be able to check it out in MAME. It's named, "Mr. Do (Prototype)", I believe.

https://youtu.be/OOHZKPk1aeI?t=10

If I recall correctly, that's the Coleco music. Also, the alphamonsters don't turn into apples when hit. It doesn't appear to have the extra monsters that come out after grabbing the prize.

The all white Mr. Do lends itself to the single-color Coleco Do!