IGNORED

486 Gaming PC Loosing Color!

cbmeeks

So, I have this 486 DX2-66 machine that runs really well. 32MB RAM, VGA, SB, etc.

For a while now, I've used some cheapo Dell LCD monitor and everything is fine. Yesterday, I found an NEC 17" CRT VGA monitor (MultiSync 75) for $3.99. So I jumped at it!

Got it home, hooked it up and it seemed to work great. I noticed the environmental logo in the upper-right (during boot) looked monochrome. So I fiddle with the OSD controls and they are all in super bright color. This screen actually looks amazing.

So I load up Eye of the Beholder and config for VGA. Again, looks amazing! You just can't beat CRT.

Then, something weird happens. After the intro plays, the screen goes to a sort of gray scale. All color is pretty much gone. I restart the game and the intro is in color again. Do it a couple more times, and the intro is now gray scale. I have to reboot the computer to get the intro back to normal color.

The game itself never shows in color. Only the intro.

Next I tried a few other games (Hillsfar, etc.). All of them show in gray scale!

I have looked at every BIOS setting I can find (yes, it's in VGA mode). I degaused the monitor, turned the monitor on/off, etc. I only get color during EOB intro! When it does show color, it's rock steady. No waving or fringes.

Now, the OSD shows the refresh is 70 Hz. So I'm thinking the game goes into 60 Hz or something different and that causes the screen to loose the color. Every now and then, I can hear the monitor "twerp" when it switches to the game screen. So I am assuming it's switching the refresh rate.

However, the OSD always show 70 Hz.

Any idea what's going on with this? This being a multi-sync monitor I would have assumed it could handle the popular DOS games.

I can provide screenshots if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Edited by cbmeeks

Since VGA is RGB, sometimes what happens is you lose one or two of the three colour signals and the picture looks monochromish, but not exactly greyscale. I assume if you plug in the lcd monitor you get full colour, meaning the problem is with the monitor or connectors/cable.

If the monitor switches to 60hz that might indicate 640x480 mode. Vga text (720x400) and 320x200 game graphics should be at 70hz. The nec monitor should show 60hz if 640x480 happens. And you should get similar colours on both monitors.

Edited by mr_me

Caps

And just to ask why are you messing with bios when to fix a dumpster dive 30 year old crt

Because this BIOS supports a monochrome mode and I thought maybe someone would ask "Hey, are you sure the BIOS isn't in monochrome mode?"

Anyway, I will probably end up recapping the monitor. At $3.99, I don't have much to loose. :-)

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

So, I have this 486 DX2-66 machine that runs really well. 32MB RAM, VGA, SB, etc.

For a while now, I've used some cheapo Dell LCD monitor and everything is fine. Yesterday, I found an NEC 17" CRT VGA monitor (MultiSync 75) for $3.99. So I jumped at it!

Got it home, hooked it up and it seemed to work great. I noticed the environmental logo in the upper-right (during boot) looked monochrome. So I fiddle with the OSD controls and they are all in super bright color. This screen actually looks amazing.

So I load up Eye of the Beholder and config for VGA. Again, looks amazing! You just can't beat CRT.

Then, something weird happens. After the intro plays, the screen goes to a sort of gray scale. All color is pretty much gone. I restart the game and the intro is in color again. Do it a couple more times, and the intro is now gray scale. I have to reboot the computer to get the intro back to normal color.

The game itself never shows in color. Only the intro.

Next I tried a few other games (Hillsfar, etc.). All of them show in gray scale!

I have looked at every BIOS setting I can find (yes, it's in VGA mode). I degaused the monitor, turned the monitor on/off, etc. I only get color during EOB intro! When it does show color, it's rock steady. No waving or fringes.

Now, the OSD shows the refresh is 70 Hz. So I'm thinking the game goes into 60 Hz or something different and that causes the screen to loose the color. Every now and then, I can hear the monitor "twerp" when it switches to the game screen. So I am assuming it's switching the refresh rate.

However, the OSD always show 70 Hz.

Any idea what's going on with this? This being a multi-sync monitor I would have assumed it could handle the popular DOS games.

I can provide screenshots if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

I had one of those monitors back in the day, except the 15" version. It was really something else... totally flat screen, just amazing picture.

Yeah, like others said... probably why it's $3.99.

If it's not doing it with the LCD monitor, then it's not the computer.