IGNORED

Pokemon

Video

Well, I picked up x for 3ds because, well, uh...

Ayhow, it was used so it's already got a game on it, someone just have hacked it or used a cheat device on it cause there's no way in hell you can complete the game in 25 ish hours. Didn't know there was cheat things for 3ds.

Anyhow, before sacking it off and starting a new game, I thought I'd snatch whatever I don't already have on y, but a few things I'd like to know first.

There are some special items, like master balls and that experience share thing that you only get one of in the game (as far as I'm aware) if I transfer these specialty items will it work ok, just remove the item, or should I not cause I could eff up my game? Those are just example items, but there's lots of other things too, like the evolution rocks, it tn/hn items. (Though the tm \hm items I likely already got and don't need anyways, aren't they reusable?)

And second, uh... How does linkage work? I have two 3ds systems, but no cable, but I don't know if it has one. Last time I got link stuff was gba, so no experience in 3ds, or ds for that matter. My friends all went their own way after gba, so I never learned to do this, though the ds does actually have a link port, I just figured the 3ds uses wireless, I just haven't figured out how to turn it on.

Anyhow, any info would help. I think that haxor dude is the vegetable you start with, so between that and fire fox, I could get the water one on the third game and have all three starters. I figure the games original owner transferred the deer looking thing, it's in the pokedex but not in the game. Don't think you can capture the thing again, or it might be worth trying too, but that person must be hardcore like me to catch it without using the master ball (or cheated lol)

In all openness I did not like Pokemon X/Y at all, but I will say that if you are a fan of a more story oriented JRPG game but with the Pokemon creatures, mechanics, trainer battles type stuff, you must play Ultra Sun or Moon. That one game has revitalized a very long in the repetitive tooth format and made the franchise so fun to play again. Try reading up into it. Traditional 8 badge/gym areas are out. Totem pokemon, boss, midboss type battles are in. A more actual journey around a nice set of islands with much to see and do is pretty solid, and there's a compelling story that actually pushes you to read more and like it -- not just, grind, gym, badge, repeat.

I didn't know you could transfer the XPShare in that game, master balls you should as well get throughout the game just like ultra balls, they pop up. Linking on the 3DS will require a wifi or local wireless setup between the systems and just following the prompts would do it.

• Like 1

Ouch, I was hoping they could talk to each other, I don't even have an online account. One of my friends has kids with a 3ds, maybe I can jack it temporarily to transfer stuff so I won't have to create two accounts.

The experience share was an obtainable item you gave to the lead pokemon, so I don't think it's needed. Just curious if it would mess anything up trading it.

I saw ultra sun/moon, but I found this for $10, even used it typically goes for more than 30, so I figured I'd get it. I'll probably pick up sun and moon sometime, but I did like y. I've got about 250 hours into mine so far, think I was right at 100 to beat the elite 4 or whatever it was called. Heck, I still play the older ones too.

One of these days I may try to transport some pokemon from my oldest game up to the newest one, but I don't know if you could trade between gba and ds versions, so that may stop it.

I'm pretty sure there's a way to local trade. Problem is I don't remember the exact steps as they tend to change it a little between games... I have a copy of Pokemon X / Y. I'll check it when I get home as I know there's a way but it's not direct or obvious.

Also there is a way to transfer Pokemon from the Game Boy Advance titles to a Nintendo DS title... But it is kind of complex.

From what I recall without looking up, you have to use a special feature in the NDS title called Pal Park and transfer the Pokemon into that. Weird thing is you can only do this at a rate 6 Pokemon per 24 hour period. This is an option in Pearl / Diamond and Heart Gold / Soul Silver. Then you have to trade from Pearl / Diamond or HG / SS to either Black / White or Black 2 / White 2. THEN you use a transfer app to move it to the Pokemon Bank where you can officially bring it into the modern Pokemon 3DS titles.

EDIT - Okay final edit hopefully! I did some looking up because I became curious as it seemed like a straightforward process... but it really isn't.

You can trade with people locally, BUUUT you have to add them via the 3DS main OS bit. You go into the friends list and you can add people locally. Once you are friends with them there, you can go into the Pokemon game in question (X or Y) and should be able to connect with them locally. I'm unsure if you're able to do the 3DS friends without going online at any point (it says you can do local but I think it technically requires a friend code).

Edited by KeeperofLindblum
  • Like 1

Heh, yeah. I don't even know where to go to link, all the gameboys had a room in pokemon centers to trade in, I see no thing like that on ds. I'll need to find an online manual of my old game box, though I don't know if it had a manual.

Anyhow, thanks for the help, looks like it's going to be overly complicated either way.

Well, that was a LOT simpler than expected. You just "pause" the game and you can select from a list of options, friend, acquaintances or passerby. I just selected that, and it was simple. It's in a way better than the old games as you have access to your boxes as well as the up to six in your inventory, though that may be because this is the same game (box access may go away if you trade with Sun or a different edition)

It'll take a while to transfer everything, but it'll be cool to restart once I finish that.

• Like 1

Well that took a slight bit longer than I expected. Close to four hours, and I ran down both systems and had to charge them over night before finishing.

Had to look up how to restart it, since it's different from old games, but I'm on my way to a new one now.

Thanks for the help, this definitely not intended to have one person trade themselves, heh.

• Like 1

I don't know, I've traded from yellow up to ruby (through crystal, don't know if gold/silver will talk to ruby/sapphire or not) it was gba to ds I didn't know if you could trade between or not. Basically the newer game couldn't have a Pokemon or item the earlier game didn't have, but since it only traded party pokemon it was managable.

Well, I picked up x for 3ds because, well, uh...

Ayhow, it was used so it's already got a game on it, someone just have hacked it or used a cheat device on it cause there's no way in hell you can complete the game in 25 ish hours. Didn't know there was cheat things for 3ds.

Anyhow, before sacking it off and starting a new game, I thought I'd snatch whatever I don't already have on y, but a few things I'd like to know first.

There are some special items, like master balls and that experience share thing that you only get one of in the game (as far as I'm aware) if I transfer these specialty items will it work ok, just remove the item, or should I not cause I could eff up my game? Those are just example items, but there's lots of other things too, like the evolution rocks, it tn/hn items. (Though the tm \hm items I likely already got and don't need anyways, aren't they reusable?)

And second, uh... How does linkage work? I have two 3ds systems, but no cable, but I don't know if it has one. Last time I got link stuff was gba, so no experience in 3ds, or ds for that matter. My friends all went their own way after gba, so I never learned to do this, though the ds does actually have a link port, I just figured the 3ds uses wireless, I just haven't figured out how to turn it on.

Anyhow, any info would help. I think that haxor dude is the vegetable you start with, so between that and fire fox, I could get the water one on the third game and have all three starters. I figure the games original owner transferred the deer looking thing, it's in the pokedex but not in the game. Don't think you can capture the thing again, or it might be worth trying too, but that person must be hardcore like me to catch it without using the master ball (or cheated lol)

I beat X in less than 14 hours. It's the most easy unbalanced Pokemon game of all time with one of the worst plots I've ever seen in a Jrpg and I think most Jrpg plots are written by asylum escapees. Knowing what I'm doing and where I am going, I could easily beat X in less than 10.

I picked the Fire starter and I was always over leveled, and EXP share kept the rest of the party from falling too far behind as EXP share was also broken. 4 of the gym leaders are weak to fire/psychic and your stronger moves after the 3rd or 4th gym could take out most boss monsters in one or two hits because of how over-leveled your starter would be.

The game is extremely linear, there's not much to explore, you don't need some of the HMS to continue, in fact I never got cut or strength and beat the game without them. The only challenge was the water elite four trainer, and once I got past her or him it was smooth sailing. The elite four was the only time I had to use frequent healing items. The "champion" was a joke and only tripped me up the first time because of her Pokemons Hp.

Also something about a 3000 year old man being sad because a laser canon made him immortal and his friend ran away during some war, and something aboutthe main bad guy blowing himself up with said laser canon.

Well, I can honestly say I haven't really heard of anybody playing pokemon for its story :D

I've beat the old games super quick, but I've only gotten to the second gym and am already at 14 hours. Granted while I avoid tall grass when possible, I do talk to everybody in each town, so that likely offsets the time saved by not fighting.

Honestly, it's what I like about the series, it can be grindy, but only if you want it to be, stick with your original crew and you'll likely steamroll every boss with minimal grinding.

Well, I can honestly say I haven't really heard of anybody playing pokemon for its story :D

I've beat the old games super quick, but I've only gotten to the second gym and am already at 14 hours. Granted while I avoid tall grass when possible, I do talk to everybody in each town, so that likely offsets the time saved by not fighting.

Honestly, it's what I like about the series, it can be grindy, but only if you want it to be, stick with your original crew and you'll likely steamroll every boss with minimal grinding.

14 hours at the second gym? How did you manage that? There's not much to do that early in the game.

I only play pokemon for the single player, always have. That's why it got stale in the GBC era other than the FireRed remaster. X/Y is as bad as he said, but the newest Ultra couple are really compelling as the story works great.

Not a fan of the 50 hour tutorial before the games starts though. Also Ultras story is disappointing once you realize the original Sun and Moon story is vastly superior to the one in the Ultra games.

I still think Colosseum/XD have the best stories in the series, Gameplay is a different discussion. But while Pokemon stories are usually not that great X and Y are bottom of the barrel.

14 hours at the second gym? How did you manage that? There's not much to do that early in the game.

Not a fan of the 50 hour tutorial before the games starts though. Also Ultras story is disappointing once you realize the original Sun and Moon story is vastly superior to the one in the Ultra games.

I still think Colosseum/XD have the best stories in the series, Gameplay is a different discussion. But while Pokemon stories are usually not that great X and Y are bottom of the barrel.

I'll bite, though I may end up regretting it.

So in your opinion, how is the original Sun/Moon story superior to the Ultra ones?

I'll bite, though I may end up regretting it.

So in your opinion, how is the original Sun/Moon story superior to the Ultra ones?

Well other than it being the original story, they really changed motivations for many of the characters, created plot holes, and focused too much on Necrozma.

I think this YouTube video will explain it, I agree with most of what he says:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAYvWhSLHUU

Of course there's more, such as the fact Necrozma wasn't even in Moon/Sun and Lusamine was the main antagonist, which by removing her of that role causes several more problems but I think the video goes over a good chunk of it. I mean Team Rocket was a nice inclusion and all but....

Of course I don't think either story is really good RPG storytelling, but at least Sun and Moon tried, the Ultra games make no sense.

ok, fair enough. i don't know that really i paid a lot of attention to the Lusamine vs Necrozma stuff in regards to the story since I focused the my last Ultra Sun playthrough on beating the stuffing out of the Elite Four (and past).

I always felt that while 'original' Sun had imo a wayyyyyy better story than X/Y (which I just could never bring myself to finish). I just started a replay of Ultra Sun and am tackling it in a slightly different way so i'll pay more attention to the story this time around.

ok, fair enough. i don't know that really i paid a lot of attention to the Lusamine vs Necrozma stuff in regards to the story since I focused the my last Ultra Sun playthrough on beating the stuffing out of the Elite Four (and past).

I always felt that while 'original' Sun had imo a wayyyyyy better story than X/Y (which I just could never bring myself to finish). I just started a replay of Ultra Sun and am tackling it in a slightly different way so i'll pay more attention to the story this time around.

Agree with you on X, I'm not even sure if you can call X's story a story. The whole 3000 year old laser canon thing read like an incoherent fan fiction.

But if you remember the original Sun and Moons story you'll notice the changes they made in Ultra pretty quickly.

Heh, on the sixth now, that was just at 25 hours, so I could possibly see it being done in that time frame, I could have skipped a bit more.

What about a 3000 year old laser? I still haven't run into that, and don't recall it from my first play through either. Maybe it's one of the side stories and I missed it?

As for the time taken on the first couple gyms, most the unskippable stuff is around that time of the game. Like the sleeping pokemon, having to get a flute for it, or that megastone bs, not to mention the neighbor a holes wanting to constantly fight and the dude wanting your pokedex all the time (you can't just download it each time I'm at a Pokemon center?) After that, there was the power plant and factory, but they were more straightforward and didn't involve multi town runarounds. Once I passed the first bit, it sped up quite a bit.

Heh, after finishing this, maybe I'll get Sun or noon, or the ultra variants. After gbc, I typically just got one generation of game for each generation. I mean, you played one, you've basically played them all.

i personally thought the game mechanics were much improved and streamlined from X/Y to Sun/Moon. The first thing that comes to mind is that the areas in Sun/Moon are not a nightmare to navigate.

I usually do the same thing when it comes to the games on the different generations, but when Sun came out I straight-up GAVE my copy of X to my son. lol

Yeah I like Pokemon games. Don't know about the ultra games, but it looks like the 3ds will likely be Nintendo's last dedicated handheld, so I figure why not get another one. Pokemon I mean, already got several consoles.

I'm waiting for Nintendo to figure out the switch is a handheld (technically) and do a Pokemon on that, hopefully old style since I don't think go style would work to well without cell service, though it does have motion sensors and could in theory be used to chase creatures around your house and into traffic lol (hopefully not though)

i personally thought the game mechanics were much improved and streamlined from X/Y to Sun/Moon. The first thing that comes to mind is that the areas in Sun/Moon are not a nightmare to navigate.

I usually do the same thing when it comes to the games on the different generations, but when Sun came out I straight-up GAVE my copy of X to my son. lol

Also the City in X/Y made your eyes bleed for how bad it looked, yet the game pushed a cinematic camera angle to show it off at the expense of the controls.

Heh, on the sixth now, that was just at 25 hours, so I could possibly see it being done in that time frame, I could have skipped a bit more.

What about a 3000 year old laser? I still haven't run into that, and don't recall it from my first play through either. Maybe it's one of the side stories and I missed it?

As for the time taken on the first couple gyms, most the unskippable stuff is around that time of the game. Like the sleeping pokemon, having to get a flute for it, or that megastone bs, not to mention the neighbor a holes wanting to constantly fight and the dude wanting your pokedex all the time (you can't just download it each time I'm at a Pokemon center?) After that, there was the power plant and factory, but they were more straightforward and didn't involve multi town runarounds. Once I passed the first bit, it sped up quite a bit.

Heh, after finishing this, maybe I'll get Sun or noon, or the ultra variants. After gbc, I typically just got one generation of game for each generation. I mean, you played one, you've basically played them all.

You've already ran into the 3000 year old man twice already, you're coming up on the laser now. It's part of the main plot, odd you don't remember it from your first play-through.

Of course Team Flare isn't exactly memorable other than the boss killing himself.

Umm what? What 50 hour tutorial? Wasn't it basically just a kind of rehash remaster of sorts sequel anyway with story changes? I never played Sun/Moon so I have no reason to think the worse of them, and I don't see a reason to drop them for a previous inferior setup if Nintendo felt it best to rebalance things. I can see why someone so invested into all things Pokemon could easily make lots of webpages or videos going into some standoffish rant fest why they feel slighted but I ignore garbage like that whatever the medium. Now if it goes into just a fan or casual player groaning over technical issues, then that's worth merit more than a super fan who tend to take stuff personally too much. I really wouldn't expect them to go back to the drawing board.

I was coming off that god awful X which was a painful hours killing slog to even get to the first gym let alone the second. Bad balance, slow play, grindy and painful in any way possible for a pokemon level game. Ultra Sun/Moon though, not at all. It was more like going to a true story like a 16bit SNES RPG would do, but then like the SMT games you have your monster capture and use aspect as the player itself commands not combats. I love the gyms being out, islands having so many nice sections you progress around so you get everything in well managed bits that keep you engaged as the story just grows and adds twists. X was trying to be a crappiest version of like Pokemon Red from 21 years ago, it was just a life sucking horribly retread same format for 2 decades adding so many problems to the boredom growing over 20 years of no change.

• Like 1