IGNORED

Yars' Revenge 16:9 Edition (remake for Windows / MacOS / Linux)

Chris2600

Hi, Thanks! ;-)

The windows 10 - 64 bits version is available here (no installation required):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jtxjvOxeJP33O76ae5Q-TyhsNaZkpx7-

The archive file is virus free - tested with:
https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

For safety, please check the files with your own antivirus before to launch the game.

Dev Notes:
The game development will take place in two steps:
- Recreate the original game in the 16:9 format with some minimal modifications required to keep a dynamic game experience.
- Extend the original game mechanisms with new features (mines, stealth missile, guardians...)

Demo limitations:
- 1 player mode only
- only 2 levels are available
- the game starts with 1 live intead of 4

Demo specifications (level 1 / level 2):
Qotile and shield speed = slow, medium
Swirl precision = average, average
Swirl speed = slow, medium
Missile speed = slow, medium
* reference speeds are [very_slow, slow, medium, fast, very_fast]

Keys:
Menu: Esc
Quit to desktop: F4
Toggle fullscreen: F12
Yar Controls : Keys:

Arrow keys = moves
Ctrl = fire
or PC Joystick (tested successfully with a XBox 360 controller)

Menu options:
Bouncing Cannon : If the Ultimate Yars mode is enabled (watch below), once the cannon has bounced, it can be safely catched by the yar to get 4 trons.
If the Ultimate Yars mode is disabled, the yar/cannon collision is fatal even if the cannon has bounced.
Heavy Missile: When enabled, if a missile/cannon collision occurs, bothes are destroyed.
Neutral zone: Toggle the neutral zone.
Ultimate Yars: When this mode is enabled the zorlon cannon can be activated on the left side of the screen (if the yar has collected at least 5 trons.)
Please refer to the original vcs 2600 game manual for more informations.

OS note:

I can compile the demo for MacOS and Linux too but as I don't use these OS I won't be able to test them, sorry.
Despite this, if someone wants one of these versions, please tell me.

Please report bugs-

Questions, ideas and suggestions are welcome too.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Hi all,

I didn' find a way to edit my previous post so I'm posting all the links and complementary infos here.

The updated windows 10 - 64 bits version is available here (no installation required):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Cjy7o4krZfZjMBxScZS8kk0k-b12Dtz_

The MacOS version is available there (un-tested version):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ia7m0J1kYinjWi6S7r2QUAq0bLpkmwe2

Here are some screenshots:

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

Please give me some feedback if ou can, I'd be glad to know if the MacOS version works fine too.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

It looks like a great start overall. The Mac version has a few issues, however. One is that the aspect ratio seems wrong. I'm guessing that it tried to switch to a certain resolution that wasn't supported, so it defaulted to another one. The end result is the right side of the screen is cut off. Additionally, F12 to switch from full-screen to windowed mode doesn't work.

Finally, you will probably want to use a key other than Control for firing, since the OS has window management keybindings associated with Control-Up Arrow and Control-Down Arrow.

post-48311-0-42614300-1538054764_thumb.png

post-48311-0-73988000-1538054772_thumb.png

It looks like a great start overall. The Mac version has a few issues, however. One is that the aspect ratio seems wrong. I'm guessing that it tried to switch to a certain resolution that wasn't supported, so it defaulted to another one. The end result is the right side of the screen is cut off. Additionally, F12 to switch from full-screen to windowed mode doesn't work.

Finally, you will probably want to use a key other than Control for firing, since the OS has window management keybindings associated with Control-Up Arrow and Control-Down Arrow.

Thanks a lot for these precious informations!

The game resolution is 1920 x 1080. Does the graphic issue occurs if you start the program directly using this resolution?

Anyways, I've got to dig into the dodumentation related to the Mac display modes.

Regarding the toggle fullscreen function, I have no idea, unless F12 is a special key for Mac?

I'll check the system documentation about fullscreen mode too and try to bind this function to another key.

and finally, please tell me which keys you'd like to use to control the yar (directions + fire), I'll use them in the next Mac version (until I wrote a key binding module).

Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

Changing resolution doesn't give me numeric resolution values on my MacBook, but I went one step higher than the default, and the game appeared normal when started from that higher resolution.

As far as I can tell, F12 isn't bound to anything on my system. Can you try adding the switch between full screen and windowed mode to the menu? That way I can see if it is likely related to the key used or if it's likely another cause.

Thank you for your answers Karl!

Changing resolution doesn't give me numeric resolution values on my MacBook, but I went one step higher than the default, and the game appeared normal when started from that higher resolution.

As far as I can tell, F12 isn't bound to anything on my system. Can you try adding the switch between full screen and windowed mode to the menu? That way I can see if it is likely related to the key used or if it's likely another cause.

Ok, I think I figure out what is going on about the display issues on lower resolution.

In fact the native game resolution is 1920 x 1080 as I told previously and if enlarging the display to fit the screen is not a problem on the contrary, it is not possible to shrink the graphics below the native resolution, this is the reason why the right part of the viewport is missing on the screenshots you took (in fact, the right side of the viewport exists on coordinates which can't be visualized).

Making a lowest resolution version will fix the problem.

I'll add the toggle fullscreen/ windowed mode to the menu, this is a good idea. ;)

Oh, and I suggest the command button instead of control for the Mac port.

ah ah, just the key I don't have on my PC :grin: ... half kidding, a look into the documentation should give the answer.

Please expect the next version to be released within 7 to 10 days, depending the free time I will be able to spend for programming.

Thanks a lot Karl!

For me I can't see all the screen and became unplayable, my resolution 1366x768 and I can't change to a greater one. (Win10 x64)

yar.png

I could navigate and shot, the response is very good, but since I couldn't see the enemy didnt progress.

Edited by CobraMJD

For me I can't see all the screen and became unplayable, my resolution 1366x768 and I can't change to a greater one. (Win10 x64)

I could navigate and shot, the response is very good, but since I couldn't see the enemy didnt progress.

Hi,

Thank you for the feedback!

This is the same problem than mentioned above. The native resolution I was using is too much high.

I started to change the code to support dynamically lower resolutions (I wanted the minimal to be 1600 x 900). Anyway I tried compiling using yours sreen size and it seems to work partially as show below: ;-)

debug.png

As we can see on the pic, this is far to be perfect: the game items need to be resized but everything is displayed on the screen.

I'll have a lot of work. :grin:

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Because you clearly need that level of detail for an Atari 2600 port.

Simply because it's not only a simple port as mentioned above in the dev notes: what I planned for the advanced features is to use a 49 x 27 tilemap with 32 x 32 pixels tiles ( = 1568 x 864).

This is maybe oversized, maybe not, I've got to check this point.

Hi all,

A new demo version (2018-10-04) is available:
- Screen resolutions issues fixed:
All screen sizes from 960 x 540 and above are now supported.
- The window mode is now resizable (with aspect ratio preserved)
- Key bindings added in menu (press esc for menu)
- As suggested, Fullscreen option added in menu
note: entering or exiting fullscreen can take 1 to 2 seconds to apply (dev engine built-in function)
- some minor bugs fixed
- demo restriction: 1 player only / 1 live / 4 levels are playable
note: 1 Yar earned when the Swirl is destroyed in mid-air

Enjoy!

Windows 10 64 bits:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15OH1a-mRDoyZdjw_JByvZhm0UtggzhSx

MacOS:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1E8_04UTSpK2JooF2BrxpwoydP4QjpSR_

virus free - checked with https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

Feedback is welcome. ;)

This version is working much better for me on my MacBook. Both fullscreen and windowed work correctly, as does switching between them. Being able to map fire to the Command key fixed the other issue I was having with conflicting keybindings. Good work!