IGNORED

Looking for monochrome green monitor simulation on the ATARI

freetz

Hi everyone,

for a small film project, we need to have an old computer with one of these stereotypical monochrome green monitors with blinkling cursor to display some useless information ;). As I would like to have an ATARI in this project rather than an old PC, I was surprised to see that it is currently not possible to get one of these monochrome green (or even amber) monitors with the Atari/C64 connectors on eBay or elsewhere.

So I thought I just take a color monitor and POKE the screen green or code a routine that also adds the other stereotypes such as blinking cursor in the style of the game "Hacker" and the likes.

Before I go ahead myself, I was wondering if anyone knows of something like this already existing that would save me some time?

Thanks in advance,

F.

Not sure why you need "Atari/C64" connectors. Both of those computers output composite video. Many "green screens" from the day had a composite video input making them compatible with a wide range of computers. They could even be used as monochrome video monitors although everything would be green.

Yes, I meant (also) composite, but also HF/TV would be ok, just not Hercules, VGA or anything else that would not run without hardware notifications. That's why I shortened it to "Atari/C64 connector". The problem remains that these monitors (unlike the ST's SM124) are almost impossible to get these days, at least on this side of the pond...

Two pokes will get what you want, but I'm not at my Atari right now to test. Set the hue to green for Graphics 0, with the black and the characters as green. They you wound't have to find a monochrome monitor.

If I get a chance, i'll play today, but someone will probably beat me to it. :-)

If you don't feel it's cheesy, take any monitor and turn the color pot all the way down, then put a green gel over the screen. (gel is what they call the sheets used on lighting cans) Use any television for that matter... but you can definitely kill the color adjust contrast and brightness and filter it green.. Should work quite well.

Get several shades(brightness) of the green you'll find one you like.... ;) You can exaggerate the scan lines for the camera with a ruler and making thin black lines with a fine ball point pen...

now that's a 70's green color breakout style.

Edited by _The Doctor__