Photo

Cool and extensive home gameroom

6 replies to this topic

#1 negative1 OFFLINE  

negative1

Dragonstomper

• 641 posts

Posted Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:08 PM

Guy has ton of home consoles, and arcade games.

Very nice layout.

later

#2 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:40 AM

You want to talk about a game collector. I've been watching "last gamer" for a while (I own about 30 different consoles and maybe about 2500+ games so watch a lot of youtube at times).  A TON of consoles is a understatement (or even arcade games for that matter)

If you watch more videos of his, he expanded his home for this collection. His collection side of the home is LARGER than the living space, a LOT larger.

Not sure my wife would let me do that one !

Edited by TheCoolDave, Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:43 AM.

#3 Cynicaster OFFLINE  

Cynicaster

River Patroller

• 2,514 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:43 PM

Good Lord....

I wouldn't mind having a buddy with a setup like that, but maybe not, because seeing setups like that makes me feel kind of stressed out in a weird way.  All of that investment in "stuff" that largely just sits there and profoundly impacts the very household is just not compatible with how I'm wired, I guess.  

#4 negative1 OFFLINE  

negative1

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 641 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:11 PM

i think the fact they all enjoy it makes it worthwhile,

its not like its just the dad made it all for himself,
and only uses it.

later

#5 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 21,671 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 PM

Good Lord....

I wouldn't mind having a buddy with a setup like that, but maybe not, because seeing setups like that makes me feel kind of stressed out in a weird way.  All of that investment in "stuff" that largely just sits there and profoundly impacts the very household is just not compatible with how I'm wired, I guess.  

Not as weird as you might think. Most men have strong spatial mapping ability, from hunting skills from past evolution. And to have ALL these games like this ties that spatial map up in a knot real good. That part of the brain starts becoming too active, the map becomes full, and you become uneasy.

In the past, hunters would capture/acquire prey, consume most of it, and forget about the rest. Only occasionally keeping a trophy piece now and then. But this obsessive videogame collecting doesn't have any consumption or disposal activity. And your psyche becomes burdened. Overloaded. It stagnates and rots in your head just as much as it does on the shelf.

Smaller more concentrated collections are mapped entirely differently. Especially if you rely on a list & database to keep track of everything. The collection is confined to one small area and doesn't consume mental resources. Your collection is here. One spot, one room, one garage, one closet. One area. And a digital emulation collection even more so. It's all confined to one box. This leaves your brain free and clear with no burden. And that's a good thing.

#6 TheCoolDave OFFLINE  

TheCoolDave

Chopper Commander

• 165 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:47 AM

Good Lord....

Truth be told. Arcade Coin-op machines can be a real PIA.  A lot of them are 20+ years old and deal with 20 year issues. I have 5 machines.  Asteroids, Ms Pac-man, Atari system 1 (running Marble Madness with 2 other full kits), Crystal Castles and a Star Wars Cockpit.

The Color vector monitor in the star wars has broken down 2 times (currently not working) they are known for failure and expensive to fix, the Crystal Castles has display issues(on the board, 2nd board same issue), the Ms. pac's monitor has died (replaced with a ok one). The System 1 has burn in from one of the past games.  The Asteroids has a large HUM in it (due to a power supply issue)

The guy in the video "the last gamer" that is what he does, he fixes and works on vending machines, Arcade games, so he can fix it.

If your just a hobbyist with gaming and you want a coin op, just think about what is involved with them esp, if you don't have the funds to spend on repairs just to get a single machine running. 

and one of the WORST things about Coin-ops...if you need to move.  Do you know how hard it is to get a coin-op up a flight of stairs ? Never mind a Star Wars cockpit ?  I've moved 4 times from starting this collection... It can be a nightmare. I ended up paying someone to move them the last time. I think we will be here for a long time.

Edited by TheCoolDave, Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:48 AM.

#7 negative1 OFFLINE  

negative1

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 641 posts

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:49 AM

i only have 1 blasteroids arcade machine. it is in near mint condition. it's about 20 years old,
but maybe it has better parts.

i've only replaced the power supply right when i bought it. never had an issue with it.

i've moved 3 times, and yes, its a pain in the neck moving it. always needed help from
someone.

but i'm still glad i had it. i'm not going to get anymore. but will buy a mini arcade 1up (pacman)
and will mod it to play more games.

later

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users