IGNORED

Arcade Museum Ideas

OscarGungan

• 3 weeks later...

I would first ask if there is even a need for yet another such facility? I understand that several such museums and archives currently exist (albeit all located in the United States; I would love to see a specialized Canadian institution*). How can you persuade donors to give money, artifacts, and/or records to a new facility rather than one that is well established? Is it feasible to acquire (and maintain) a sufficiently large collection of hardware and other artifacts to attract an audience? How much historically valuable material still remains outside of institutions or private collections?

*Both the University of Waterloo and the University of Calgary maintain teaching collections of video games and related material, and there used to be a privately operated museum located in Ontario.

In terms of specific resources for this proposed institution, I would love to see the archival records of Bioware (from back when it was still an independent studio) preserved. A print library of gaming magazines (not just digital scans) would be a worthy inclusion. I would also like to be able to play an original Space Duel arcade machine again.

I'm asking this for a friend essentially. If there was an ideal video game museum and archive venue, what would it feature?

What would it need to be a unique venue for gaming history and archival purposes?

I would first ask if there is even a need for yet another such facility?

Yeah location would help. ACAM already exists for people to donate machines and other "artifacts."

Tell your friend to amass a large collection of popular and RARE arcade games and pinball machines and sell beer. People are going nuts for that.