IGNORED

Repair or replacement parts for original TI joysticks?

ianoid

Has anyone ever designed a flex circuit replacement for the original joysticks?

Why?

Because!

They are in the top 5 of worst joysticks ever. Better to get a gamepad or atari adapter. I really like my monster joystick i recently purchased.

Is that in an official list, like I.G.N.'s list of horrible joysticks? ;)

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this. I wonder if you could refill an ink jet cartridge with conductive ink and print replacements on transparency film sheets or glossy photo paper.

Interesting thought. I was wondering last night about using some of that conductive carbon trace stuff you use to "paint" traces for a circuit or repair remote control pads.

Since this might develop into a real discussion I have moved these messages out into a separate thread.

• Like 1

I tried conductive paint but it was pretty tough with the pen they sell on Amazon.. I probably need to find a better paint. Can anyone recommend a product? Probably something with a cap with a tiny brush?

Most of you are baffled why I'd want to fix them, but it's about preservation, reuse and using authentic hardware now and again.

Since it's such a big problem, it seems like an improved design would last a few decades. Of course if I want to sit down and have a good session, I'll want to use a joystick splitter.

Edited by ianoid
  • Like 1

I tried conductive paint but it was pretty tough with the pen they sell on Amazon.. I probably need to find a better paint. Can anyone recommend a product? Probably something with a cap with a tiny brush?

Most of you are baffled why I'd want to fix them, but it's about preservation, reuse and using authentic hardware now and again.

Since it's such a big problem, it seems like an improved design would last a few decades. Of course if I want to sit down and have a good session, I'll want to use a joystick splitter.

You might want to try a vial of the conductive paint sold to repair the demister elements on a car rear windscreen, applied using a sharpened cocktail stick.

• Like 1

Somwhere in my storge, I have some replacement parts for the joysticks, to include these circuit strips, but I'll would have to take several hours one day to look for them, this week in not a good time. On a side note, I also have complete joystick sets, in plastic sandwich bags, that were new old stock, will have to see if their in good shape.

• Like 3

Somwhere in my storge, I have some replacement parts for the joysticks, to include these circuit strips, but I'll would have to take several hours one day to look for them, this week in not a good time. On a side note, I also have complete joystick sets, in plastic sandwich bags, that were new old stock, will have to see if their in good shape.

That would be great if you can find replacement circuit strips! The conductive paint would be great for repainting the button contacts, but using a conductive pen would be difficult to retrace the circuit lines. There is just something about having the original joysticks that I used a lot when I was younger, functional again!

Edited by twoodland

I had saved a pair of joystick with conductive paint and worked good. Sadly it is anyway very hard to do with the kind i purchased, maybe it could be better to purchase like a Pen with conductive ink.
The best, and i am agree with twoodland, could be to rebuild/reprint the circuit membrane strip but i asked about how to do and the answer was that need to do a large production like 10'000 pieces and it is a number that goes beyond the real need.
but it remaining the best solution of course, at the same like people done the reprodutcion of the keyboard membrane for Spectrum sinclair computers.
I am also agree that TI99 controller are not the best and use an adapter Atari to TI could be useful and the best solution for play, but i really like to see my TI99 with his own original controllers :P
of course i usually using the Atari adaptor anyway :) :D
  • Like 2

Check this (ended) eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2734751949861?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=273475194986&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

An ebay member was nice enough to send me this information about the part. Since I have no way to verify this with an actual controller I must rely on his description. He messaged:

"Your item is for a game controller. The section with the 6 long traces is where it attaches. The 4 small interleave traces are the contacts in 4 directions. The larger interleave at the end is for the fire button. It works by the joystick pressing against the traces and shorting them, thus a switch. Normally these would be sold in pairs. If a trace breaks or wears away, the joystick loses a function and is useless. Yours looks brand new. Do not bend. Hope this helped."

Looks like they are all gone, now.

• 3 weeks later...

An update, I looked into my storage trailer the last two weekends and haven't come across these as of yet, though I did find a box of the spongy round washers that I believe fit around the joystick itself for stability. Will continue to look as time permits.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Bumping this topic - curious if anyone has found a way to address this. I actually don't mind the TI sticks, and when I play I always try to have the original systems' controllers, as well as an alternative. TBH I don't think the joysticks are all that bad, as far as use goes.

Edited by jetset
  • Like 1