IGNORED

Nintendo 64 Classic Edition

Trinity

This just popped into mind: what about any Japanese games?

Animal Forest (with language pack)

Sin and Punishment (was on VC)

Virtual Pro Wrestling 64 (a pipe dream maybe I know names are changed, did this have some sort of licensing with Japanese wrestlers and were WCW wrestlers officially licensed?)

If Nintendo has some sort of ability to legally release Rare developed games that used Nintendo property, what about Killer Instinct?

Awesome series....why not do VP2? Only JP game I've ever imported. ;-)

EDIT: and holy crap upon a quick google about licenses (as the WCW guys were technically independent when they worked in Japan I was curious) I see somebody sells an English modded version. Damn.....

Awesome series....why not do VP2? Only JP game I've ever imported. ;-)

EDIT: and holy crap upon a quick google about licenses (as the WCW guys were technically independent when they worked in Japan I was curious) I see somebody sells an English modded version. Damn.....

I just did a quick Google for VPN 1 as I remembered there was an Asmik/Aki developed wrasslin' game in Japan. #2 didn't come up. Now that I read about it...wow. I agree- that could be on the roster depending on how Japanese wrestler licenses work, if they have one.

The rumors are foolish. It's all based around the recent approval in Europe of a trademark filing we knew about way back in July 2017. Sites are conveniently forgetting the filing date and are spreading this around the internet for hits ever since the Playstation Classic got announced, as if it's some unofficial confirmation that a N64 Classic Edition is about to be announced.

I suspect we'll get this someday, but I very much doubt it's going to be sometime soon like many are being led to hope. I put more stock in looking at the dates when both the NES Classic and SNES Classic were announced than a trademark filing from well over a year ago, which suggests this isn't happening soon.

Heck, this is the 1 year anniversary of the SNES Classic release tonight. So I very much doubt it's going to be 2018...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 4

I would be very surprised if a N64 Classic Mini was released for a sole reason: the N64 controller. Brand new controllers would cost a lot to manufacture, especially if the Rumble Pak is included - and I guess it is part of the experience according to Nintendo. Remember that SNES Classic Mini included two controllers, and that one of Nintendo 64's major features was being able to plug four controllers at the same time... And even if they chose to include only one of them in the box (which would be a bad idea in my opinion), the N64 Classic Mini would probably cost more than $100, which would probably be another bad idea from an economical standpoint.

In my opinion, a Game Boy Classic Mini would be more relevant and easier to manufacture. I know a lot of people like to tell me that it already exists (the Game Boy Micro), but I'm talking about a handheld with the same form factor of the original Game Boy (it's all about nostalgia) and no cartridge port of course - just a better black and white screen.

• Like 1

I would be very surprised if a N64 Classic Mini was released for a sole reason: the N64 controller. Brand new controllers would cost a lot to manufacture, especially if the Rumble Pak is included - and I guess it is part of the experience according to Nintendo. Remember that SNES Classic Mini included two controllers, and that one of Nintendo 64's major features was being able to plug four controllers at the same time... And even if they chose to include only one of them in the box (which would be a bad idea in my opinion), the N64 Classic Mini would probably cost more than $100, which would probably be another bad idea from an economical standpoint.

In my opinion, a Game Boy Classic Mini would be more relevant and easier to manufacture. I know a lot of people like to tell me that it already exists (the Game Boy Micro), but I'm talking about a handheld with the same form factor of the original Game Boy (it's all about nostalgia) and no cartridge port of course - just a better black and white screen.

I think most would be hard pressed to go back and play classic Game Boy titles again with a Game Boy mini. If they were to make a Game Boy mini anything it'd likely go no further back than GBA. They could throw original Game Boy games on a GBA mini easily and you'd have the option to choose what color they are.

I could definitely see an N64 Mini happening, but I doubt it would happen this way. It's practically October, with no official word. The previous two Minis were announced mid-Summer to build momentum.

If Nintendo were to announce it TODAY, they would have minimal time to build hype for Black Friday and December. It just doesn't fit their pattern.

Edited by godslabrat
  • Like 2

If Nintendo is working on an N64 Mini (to be released next year, probably) then I would expect them to provide a controller similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRsEhP5OoUQ

I do agree with you on that point. Nintendo would make much more money with a Game Boy with 25+ games built-in. The GB library is full of great titles, many more than the N64's library. Even better yet, imagine the response from consumers if several classic black-and-white GB titles were altered to play in color (more like Game Boy Color titles). I think that's what they were planning to do with Metroid II at a certain point before they scrapped the idea.

No way would Nintendo provide a controller like that. These are devices meant to appeal to casuals with nostalgia for Nintendo's late 90's game console. If a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition happens, you can count on a controller that looks extremely similar to the original.

I would suspect that the only significant modifications would be eliminating the expansion port on the bottom of the controller. Integrated rumble is obviously how they'd go if controller rumble is supported and there's not going to be any need for memory cards on a plug and play emulation-based system.

Then again, they might want it to be present superficially at least, like the fake expansion port on the back of the Playstation Classic that is just for show.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 5

Atariboy is very right in terms of probability of release of this product due to manufacturing costs of the controller and the likelihood of ANYTHING other than the original design being used. I liken the later to those who think the PS Classic will be filled with 90% obscure Japanese RPGs. It won't be. This product isn't for you or your odd tastes. It's for the masses. Be they "flawed" games or controllers, these systems will be made to tug at the heart strings of the gamers and former gamers of that era by providing the most popular games the everyday man will likely remember/have heard of, with the controller he spent holding during his formative years.

While there may be better games, and while there may be better controllers, to think they will deviate from the obvious market friendly course is honestly absurd. I mean, if we're talking preference here, I hope the N64 Classic (if it's ever released) would come with mini Hori pads.

I can wish.

But I know that's NOT going to happen.

Much like how the SNES Classic's pads feel similar, but not the same (in feel), I suspect they'll do EVERYTHING to keep the form factor of the N64 pad because that's what sells, but the joystick will likely feel "off" as the mechanism will be slightly different / cheaper.

Edited by MotoRacer
  • Like 1

Don't think it would happen for several reasons, not the least of which would be that it would mess up the "mini" aesthetic, but I think it'd be interesting if it used the original controller connectors.

I mean, then you could use your old controllers... whether they were original Nintendo or what. They'd also sell them to people who have an actual N64 and want new officially licensed Nintendo manufactured controllers.

They won't do it though. As I said before, the connectors would have to be the same size, so they would look too big on a scaled down console. Also, I'm sure they'd worry about not selling enough controllers because there are millions of N64 compatible controllers out there. Also, the proprietary connector would probably be more expensive than the normal USB connector or whatever they are currently using and therefore cut into profits/increase costs.

All that being said... I'm betting that they will make more money on selling controllers than they will on the console. Especially if they offer the controllers in all the different colors like they did on the original N64. I'm sure people will buy one of every color just to have them on a shelf or whatever. Other than that, there's the fact that, or at least I'm betting that, the console itself will support up to four controllers. If they make it a two controller console, I just think they'll be missing out on a lot of sales.

You can get some pretty convincing clone controllers for less than $15. Those CirKa controllers are pretty good. Nintendo could dust off the original molds and sell new ones for $25 (edit: maybe $30) a piece, and people would fall all over themselves to snap them up.

The costs are going to be in using a different SoC. That AllWinner R16 is probably not fast enough for Nintendo's liking. The crackling audio in all the YooToob videos I've seen probably means using something faster.

Edited by derFunkenstein

You can get some pretty convincing clone controllers for less than $15. Those CirKa controllers are pretty good. Nintendo could dust off the original molds and sell new ones for $25 (edit: maybe $30) a piece, and people would fall all over themselves to snap them up.

The costs are going to be in using a different SoC. That AllWinner R16 is probably not fast enough for Nintendo's liking. The crackling audio in all the YooToob videos I've seen probably means using something faster.

I have to politely disagree. Cirka makes some of the WORST pads out there. They simply don't last. Their SNES pads have membranes that go flat in a matter of hours, and their N64 pads don't have the same accuracy in their joysticks.

That's the biggest problem I've seen with 3rd party "new" N64 pads. Their joystick designs, while affordable, aren't the same in range and sensitivity. Nintendo might change the tech inside, but they'd definitely want to ensure it "felt" the same. There's nothing more frustrating for a gamer than to rely on muscle memory and it fails you, and mid-game, you have to adjust for a new input device.

• 2 weeks later...

Like has been covered previously in this thread, hogwash.

It's a site out for cheap hits. This "evidence" all centers around trademark filing that Nintendo made back in July 2017 to cover future options, which was just recently approved and became official.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/07/21/nintendo-trademark-suggests-n64-classic-mini-coming

It's a giant leap to take something that was submitted well over a year ago and use that as evidence that something is imminent. NES Classic Edition was announced on July 14th and was released nearly 4 months later on November 11th. SNES Classic Edition was announced on June 26th and was released on September 29th.

There is no N64 Classic Edition coming in 2018. They'd already have to be being manufactured right now and scores of retailers would be aware of it by now. Yet nothing is being said even though the Christmas shopping season is barely a month away and stores are busying themselves right now with getting their line of Christmas decorations out on the shelf.

It may happen someday, but it sure as heck isn't happening in 2018.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

The PS1 classic seems to be Sonys response to the NES and SNES Classics. I wonder if Nintendo will eventually make the N64 Classic as a response to the PS1 Classic. If it's a success we could see a glut of these things in the years to come from different companies. Pat and Ian did a video on this subject and the possibility of a flooded marketplace.

• Like 2

HotHardware is not a reputable hardware site. Just a clickbait factory. Has been for a long time.

There are, what, like 10 games worth playing on the N64? And some of those Nintendo has no hope in licensing properly to keep the cost of the system down. GoldenEye? In your dreams. KI Gold? Nope. I guess a system with 5 Mario games (Tennis, Golf, 64, Kart, and Party 3) plus Smash Bros, DK, DKRacing, and Zelda MM / OoT would sell. Those are the 10 games. I'm not buying.

I'm actually thinking of selling my NES Classic and SNES classic plus the 8bitdo controllers I bought. I can play all those games (plus any worthwhile PS1 or N64 or Genesis or Sega CD or...) with my SN30 Pro on my Nvidia Shield. The dedicated systems cute but I'm already out of HDMI ports, plus I kinda want an Xbox One X.

• Like 1

Yes, but as with every other Mini it's more about a "cute" novelty present than a way to play those games. Besides, Zelda & Mario 64 are such landmarks that you could throw in maybe one more title and call it a day - and it'd still equal the libraries of other minis in terms of quality.

And if they put Space Station Silicon Valley in, maybe even I would bite :)

derfunk -- errrmm no. There are at least 20 games easily capable of being put on there from just Nintendo alone. If you factor in the third parties known to be ok having their games put on mini consoles (capcom, konami, namco, tecmo, square-enix, etc) then you can add quite a few more. Just because you don't think highly of the system, doesn't make your narrow opinion a fact. Even if no one would license to them, even excluding Rare, a 20 game library could be rounded out in a classic edition system with 2 packed in controllers easily for the $100 mark.

As godslabrat put it, with the current pricing on N64 games, a fantastic value. And he's right.

Given that you wouldn't see M rated stuff if you went through the companies I listed already you could have Konami(which is Hudson too) 3 Bomberman games, 2 Goemon games, Hybrid Heaven, and more. Capcom is pretty stiff as is Namco, but that could get you Mega Man 64, Namco Museum, and the co-developed with NST Ridge Racer 64. Tecmo didn't touch the thing so they're out as is Square-Enix though I believe they do own Eidos now so Gex would be potential.

Into the less likely stuff here, but Acclaim died in 2004 but their IPs got bought out, so the Turok titles and various others would be possible. The Lucasarts stuff is owned by Disney, and Disney may or may not be ok with it, but if they were due to all the SW and upcoming 2019 Indy movie you could see those dug up too (Shadows, Pod Racer, Naboo, and IJ Infernal Machine.)

WB also licenses out to Sega, may do Nintendo possibly, and that would give MK games if they would allow for bloody stuff but that I highly doubt.

I don't think a game lineup would be too much of an issue. Contrary to popular opinion, I suspect there might be some Rare surprises if this comes to fruition.

And outside of Nintendo/Rare, anything else pretty much is just a nicety rather than a requirement. Pretty much all the huge hits on the platform came from those two. That's not to say that I don't think anyone else released anything worthwhile. I enjoy dozens of games outside of that group, but there just isn't much clamoring from the general public for something something like World Driver Championship.

Rare has several times in the past two or three years talked like cooperation with Nintendo wouldn't be the impossibility that Microsoft ownership suggests. And Microsoft is enjoying the pr from being an early supporter of cross-play, and being cooperative again with a plug and play that's not in direct competition could again improve gamer's perception of Microsoft.

And the most important reason why it's not completely dismissable is that being paid by Nintendo to include properties like Banjo Kazooie is going to remind a couple of million people about why they fell in love with Rare and these franchises. That's an awful lot of free exposure at no cost to Rare/Microsoft in cash or competitive position with the XB1 and Windows platforms, which if properly taken advantage of could revitalize a classic franchise or two.

Edited by Atariboy

You seem to be positive about it, but so far history has shown that MS won't have it right down to the wonky Diddy Kong Racing on DS that pulled out characters they refused to let happen. Yet when it was something more unique though like Mr Pants on a handheld it was fine which made little sense other than they felt it was too close to home on stuff they'd rather peddle themselves. You are right though if MS grew up and saw the picture clearly it's not just a lot of free exposure at no cost, but 'at payment to' Rare/MS from Nintendo no less to have that on the device in the form of licensing dues like other third parties receive. It comes off glaringly stupid not taking a paycheck that gives free exposure.

I don't think a game lineup would be too much of an issue. Contrary to popular opinion, I suspect there might be some Rare surprises if this comes to fruition.

Sure there'd be Rare games, but there's no way they'd license all the Bond stuff just to release Goldeneye. I would expect (if this thing is real) to follow the pattern established by the NES and SNES minis: any Rare games that Nintendo owns. Donkey Kong Country and RC Pro-Am appeared, so no reason to discount DK64.