IGNORED

Moon Patrol - Arcade Sprite Hack (Call for Moon Buggy drivers!)

doctorclu

This is a call for brave volunteers to patrol the lunar surface to protect the citizens against visiting riff raff.

post-4709-0-62713700-1537795303.png

Seen above is a sprite hack of the Atari 800 version to something more like the Arcade*, with all background and buggy character color matched to arcade screen shots.

The latest rom to try is here:

moon-test-n2b.bin

How you are needed:

At current we are getting conflicting color reports...

post-4709-0-17456700-1537795665.png

... Altirra (Windows under Wine) is the larger image left and the small image to the lower right was taken from Atari800OSX.

Can someone please try the above image on real hardware and report your results/screen shots/pictures to the hacking thread?

There are more technical programming questions regarding this that can be found on this programming thread.

* Sprite hacks drawn and hacked by TIX. Technical research and color alters by DoctorClu.

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 2

Here is a screen shot from the first download, running on the real hardware as shown in my sig below, PAL colours. Actually, it's not 100% accurate colors, but it's how they show up with my camera phone which aren't the exact hues of what I see on my monitor.

I was just playing the latest .bin and I don't really notice much change in animations of the aliens, but it's been a while and I'd have to go back and look at the original. In any case, even if this isn't the final buggy design, it's a fantastically huge improvement over the original, IMHO. The tires/tracks seem to be a *bit* different in some way, can't put my finger on it until I go back to the original, if I'm not mistaken, but I love them.I'm just happy the moon buggy no longer looks like a cross between an Aardvark and a Scorpion!

I suppose there aren't enough colors to get the yellow highlights on the right sides of the moon buildings? Actually, arcade screen shots looks to have yellow highlights on the right instead of darker green shadwoing on the left that is in this version you've done. Both the darker green and yellow highlights are in 16-bit versions of the game, like the ST. Any look or colors closer to the arcade I'm all for. The colors do look the same to me on my Atari&monitor as the original arcade screen shots I see on my PC, except for the buildings I just mentioned, So that's cool.

I suppose there aren't enough colors to get the yellow highlights on the right sides of the moon buildings? Actually, arcade screen shots looks to have yellow highlights on the right instead of darker green shadwoing on the left that is in this version you've done. Both the darker green and yellow highlights are in 16-bit versions of the game, like the ST.

post-149-0-37113100-1537840200_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Ok, that is looking more like the darker Atari800 color version than the lighter and washed out Altirra version. Appreciate the screen shots.

I'm not sure if there is a different higher color used for the city level, but worth a look.

is this adjusted to pal or something, my dirt is now bright yellow

my backdrop is turquoise the mountains have brighter green foliage and the far mountains are blue with purple crests without light grey moon dust of is or snow....

maybe we left the moon and are on some far off planet?

I love the improvements but this needs toning down or separate color palettes for ntsc and pall need to be done either by detection or whole version...

post-21949-0-88767400-1537896399_thumb.jpg

This is bright yellow in person, turquoise, brighter green, bluish, then purple... camera phone doesn't show the almost neon leotard colors. the buildings on other screens would also look good again with the these colors being adjusted towards the less bright realm... my buggy is close to what it should be though :)

post-21949-0-07579300-1537897240_thumb.jpg

2nd picture tried to adjust using monitor controls....

Edited by _The Doctor__

yes it's much better in the other newer version in the other thread, it says 5200 area but it is indeed 8 bit 800 series cartridge bin.

much better... :)

now if we just add the base-pad we roll off of in the beginning :o

seriously though, later on that enemy rocket thing that tries to get at you from behind :)

Looking good for me guys!

Here are screen shots of the moon-test-n5 and n5c from my PAL 1200XL. I definitely prefer the arcade colors one, but both are great and both will get play-time when I get tired of the colors of one or the other. I hope there is more to come!

By the way, my monitor is almost always adjusted for 45 brightness and 75 contrast. I prefer the deeper black and deeper colors these settings give. As always, it looks better in real life.

post-149-0-49457000-1537909388_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-57193400-1537909409_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I am meticulous so my monitor and my computer are calibrated. It's not perfect match but it's close enough...

Heck the buggy in arcade machines themselves varied from pink to purple to red depending on how beaten up it was....

do a quick youtube search, I can't believe I said that.. I don't use the evil goog or tube or waze or maps.goog anymore.....

Edited by _The Doctor__

do a quick youtube search, I can't believe I said that.. I don't use the evil goog or tube or waze or maps.goog anymore.....

me too, the one exception still being Youtube, but I'll probably cut that too, I only watch how-to's and Atari related stuff on it anyway...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

no for me. The buggy color is not strong pink. My screen is similar to the one _doctor_ posted before (#6) . Using UAV in a NTSC 600XL, Dell 2007fp monitor direct connection to svideo connector.

Every color control in the center.

I didn't think it was supposed to be pink, on mine it's either a purplish-pink or a blueish-purple on the two versions. And arcade screen shots I've seen have ranged from pink to purple so I figured pinkish-purplish to be a good match. These screen shots below, all from the arcade, look more light purple than pink to my eyes, but I can see someone calling it a pink too...of course maybe it's just the settings I use on my monitors for brightness and contrast making them look more purple to me, maybe if I set them both at a middle 50 it would look pink, but I don't care enough to bother...it does look lighter and pinker in The Doctor's screen shotsbut the colors are also more washed out than my 1200XL's are with it's chroma boost upgrade.

post-149-0-38330400-1537924843_thumb.jpg

post-149-0-85774700-1537924857.png

post-149-0-20414800-1537924868_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

WANTED - An ATR of Moon Patrol with better sound.

I've been told that the ATR version used in these hacks has bad sound/music. If a better ATR can be found I will add these hacks to that ATR going forward.

-------------------------

Last night two new ATRs were uploaded. This version:

post-4709-0-86331000-1538137111.png

Moon Patrol-n02c.atr

(Was created just before EnderDude made the three wheeled rover design so we'll add that in a later revision.)

And this version:

post-4709-0-95718900-1538137174.png

Moon Patrol-a01c.atr

(Inspired by EnderDude's three wheel design, strove for another interpretation of the arcade buggy.)

Edited by doctorclu
  • Like 1

I did a mockup of a Moon Patrol screen, trying to make it as close as possible to the original arcade version. This would, however, require to rewrite the whole game from scratch.

attachicon.gifmp-mockup.png

Holy Jezus, that looks sweet...that is arcade perfect !!!!! .......Could our A8 really do this ??? please go for it !!!

Could you draw up the city landscape too to make us drool even more ? ;) ;) ;)

Edited by Level42

I did a mockup of a Moon Patrol screen, trying to make it as close as possible to the original arcade version. This would, however, require to rewrite the whole game from scratch.

attachicon.gifmp-mockup.png

Holy Jezus, that looks sweet...that is arcade perfect !!!!! .......Could our A8 really do this ??? please go for it !!!

Could you draw up the city landscape too to make us drool even more ? ;) ;) ;)

Pseudografx, Level42 just hit on something I was just starting to thinking about: The Mountains and cities.

I could try to find resources to draw out arcade screen shots of both, but it looks like you might already have a good handle on this. Would you be up for helping us draw out the arcade backgrounds so we can modify the backdrop to look like that?

Won't be at the resolution you drafted, but it will really help this Arcade Moon Patrol really pop. :D

• Like 2