IGNORED

Atari VCS or Atari 2600 jr. for best experience?

Bubsy3000

My old Atari stopped working over a year ago and I never had time to pick up a new one. Recently, I've been thinking of purchasing another 2600 console, maybe even from here. However, I wanted to know whether the original 2600 or the Jr provided the same experience or not.

Basically if the Jr. provides around equal the gaming experience, I'd likely buy that due to it being made with newer parts. However, I've heard some stories over the years the original might provide the better gaming experience for 2600 games.

I wanted to check in with Atari Age before making a decision.

Edited by Bubsy3000

Some people say video on H6's is brighter and clearer.

I have had almost all the variations, and I like the Heavy Sixer and Coleco Gemini the best. The Heavy Sixer has the best build quality, and has a higher quality picture. I think its worth the extra price if you want to go for a heavy Sixer. But, you can't go wrong with a 4 or 6 switch woody. And the 4 switch Vader is the exact same as the 4 switch woody, except the color on the outside.

I think its true for every console that the original launch model is built to the best quality, and on the second and third models they skimp on the quality, integrate components on the board to save money, and do whatever they can to reduce cost to maximize profits. The only exception I can think of is the second model Xbox 360 was improved because of the Red Ring of Death. Companies overbuild the first model of a console so they don't experience something like the RROD, and then a few years later they know more of what the console is capable of, and can do various things to reduce the costs of making the console. The Intellivision model 2 has removable controllers (which are better than hard wired controllers) but otherwise the console quality was reduced to save money.

Edited by Hannacek
  • Like 1

So It seems the Heavy sixer is the better options for the gaming experience than the Jr.?

Light Sixer should be plenty good, as you'll end up paying near twice as much for a heavy sixer, especially these days, since it is much more collectible. The H6er is a bit better quality, but diminishing returns unless your after the collectibility. If you plan on getting a video mod done, I, personally, would not mod an H6er. Someone might unknowingly sell an H6er cheap, so that is something if you are willing to wait and watch.

Some software works with the difficulty switches to control functions. Synthcart does this, and I think there are some space games that need the switches. Others here will know of more, I'm sure.

For that sort of software, you can't beat a sixer.

Light Sixer should be plenty good, as you'll end up paying near twice as much for a heavy sixer, especially these days, since it is much more collectible. The H6er is a bit better quality, but diminishing returns unless your after the collectibility. If you plan on getting a video mod done, I, personally, would not mod an H6er. Someone might unknowingly sell an H6er cheap, so that is something if you are willing to wait and watch.

It seems the light or heavy sixer is the best option, thanks guys!

The biggest advantage of the Jr. is it has an external RF port, so you can easily use a cord already hooked up, or replace it easily. The biggest disadvantage of the Jr. is it uses push buttons for game mode and reset, and they both feel nonresponsive, and tend to break.

I'd go for a basic, cheap 4 switch myself as a general runner, but that's in part due to it being cheap. You can probably get one for about $10 if you keep an eye out.

• Like 1

It seems the light or heavy sixer is the best option, thanks guys!

If you wait for an auction or a deal, you can get a heavy sixer for $100 or less. I think its worth the money. I don't buy the Atari Flashbacks, NES or SNES classics, and stuff like that, so I have money to pay more for the original hardware.

Any Atari that works is fine. ;)

I don't know what people are doing to their consoles where their switches or buttons "tend to break," but in my experience, reliability and durability have not been issues with any of my systems. I will note that video quality seems to be a little better in six-switch systems, but not enough (IMO) that it should influence your choice, especially if you're rolling with the standard RF.

[/$0.02]

• Like 1

Any Atari that works is fine. ;)

I don't know what people are doing to their consoles where their switches or buttons "tend to break," but in my experience, reliability and durability have not been issues with any of my systems. I will note that video quality seems to be a little better in six-switch systems, but not enough (IMO) that it should influence your choice, especially if you're rolling with the standard RF.

[/$0.02]

It does seem to be a consistent thing though. Maybe you got lucky :)

The Jr is the least reliable imo, don't know hardware wise, but those switches suck.

Outside of jr, basically if it was working when I got it, I've never had issues with any of my consoles. My daily system is a vader, despite the hate it gets. I like how it looks, and honestly it's probably the same system as the woodies. I hear a lot of mention of video issues, but honestly don't see it myself. Granted, I don't mod my systems either, so that may be where the problems lie.