Photo

Premium Softcard //e help?

CP/M Apple Microsoft

8 replies to this topic

#1 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• 6,954 posts
  • Remember how bright the future used to look?

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:13 PM

I seem to be having a little trouble with my Premium Softcard //e. I've got it plugged into the Aux. slot on my //e Platinum (for some reason my regular //e is being a horse's ass about both of my I/O Controllers for the DuoDisk I'm using, so I just went to the Platinum...it might not like standard Disk ][ controllers either but I haven't tested that far yet), and I've got the Premium Softcard //e CP/M 2.26 master disk, which the card requires--I don't think any other version of CP/M works with it (good move, Microsoft...).

So my setup is:

Apple //e Platinum

Aux Slot = Premium Softcard //e

Slot 6 = I/O Controller (5.25 Drive Controller Card) --> DuoDisk unit

(All other slots empty)

I tested this setup with standard DOS disks with normal results. So far, so good. Then I tried booting CP/M 2.26 (again, the proprietary master disk for this card) from the copy I made with my CFFA3000, and also from the CFFA3000 itself. Either way, it starts to boot, but just stops at a blank screen before anything comes up. If I put the I/O card in another slot, I at least get a message "Must boot from Slot 6." The LED on the card does not light up at any point.

Possible issues I can come up with:

-Dead card

-Bad disk image

-Premium Softcard //e incompatible with //e Platinum system

-CP/M boot disk requires a Disk ][ controller and doesn't play nice with the Uni/DuoDisk I/O controller for some reason

Any troubleshooting tips before I starting digging out all my parts, Frankensteining things around, and making a 10-ton mess of my computer room? :lol:

Or, rephrasing that, is there a way to test the card without the CP/M software, say, from Applesoft or DOS?

#2 c0op3r OFFLINE  

c0op3r

Chopper Commander

• 120 posts

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:58 PM

Make a Disk from the image on Asimov, I used a real Disk I made using ADT

https://mirrors.appl.../images/cpm/os/

I remember to get mine to work I had to be a version behind I think the newest SoftCard IIe Premium image was corrupt.

#3 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,954 posts

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a try later! :)

#4 rpiguy9907 OFFLINE  

rpiguy9907

Chopper Commander

• 248 posts

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:35 PM

Does this work with 3.5" disks? I have a Softcard, but only have a 3.5" disk drive and after looking around I have never found a boot disk to boot CP/M from the 3.5" media.

#5 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,954 posts

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:07 AM

Make a Disk from the image on Asimov, I used a real Disk I made using ADT

https://mirrors.appl.../images/cpm/os/

I remember to get mine to work I had to be a version behind I think the newest SoftCard IIe Premium image was corrupt.

It worked! Good call on the disk image. :thumbsup: 

#6 ianoid OFFLINE  

ianoid

River Patroller

• 2,950 posts

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:05 PM

It worked! Good call on the disk image. :thumbsup:

So which image worked for you? I've had a lot of trouble testing my cards, I don't think I've gotten one to work. And I don't think it's the cards. Plus it's a pain to even fit in a //e case. Maxed out card length.

Unlike the other versions of the Softcard, you can't just PR# your card. It requires specialized CP/M software to start up and be utilized. I think it has to do with the way it deals with the coprocessing.

#7 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,954 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 AM

So which image worked for you? I've had a lot of trouble testing my cards, I don't think I've gotten one to work. And I don't think it's the cards. Plus it's a pain to even fit in a //e case. Maxed out card length.

Premium Softcard CP/M 2.25 is doing the trick for me. It's in the directory linked above. :)

I hear you on the card length. I thought I was going to break something getting it into the AUX slot. :| It does fit, of course--barely--but it definitely takes a little finagling.

Dumb question, but can the AUX slot on the //e even be called by a PR# command?

#8 ianoid OFFLINE  

ianoid

River Patroller

• 2,950 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:18 PM

Good point on the PR#, but PR#3 does activate your 80 column card. Then again, not sure what will happen if you have a different card in slot 3, perhaps the AUX call supercedes the slot 3 device.

Premium Softcard CP/M 2.25 is doing the trick for me. It's in the directory linked above. :)

I hear you on the card length. I thought I was going to break something getting it into the AUX slot. :| It does fit, of course--barely--but it definitely takes a little finagling.

Dumb question, but can the AUX slot on the //e even be called by a PR# command?

#9 BassGuitari OFFLINE  

BassGuitari

Glorified Toaster

• Topic Starter
  • 6,954 posts

Posted Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:26 PM

Good point on the PR#, but PR#3 does activate your 80 column card.

Good point. :lol: :dunce:

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CP/M, Apple, Microsoft

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users