Photo

When can I get a TIPI? People are asking, here is my answer for now...

6 replies to this topic

#1 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• 1,815 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:20 PM

Arcadeshopper is out of inventory, people are asking when will there be more? 

There is an open issue with file management for TipiPEB. People have bought TipiPEBs, and so I need to solve that problem before I sell any more anything.  People with them cannot copy files to or from TI floppy controllers and the TIPI.  I thought I had tested this before release, but my test was flawed. 

I don't have more of me to build TIPIs... I have broken even, I now profit about $3 a board averaged over the 51 boards sold (that's about $1 an hour at 3 hours a board - WOOT!) . And as always, I wouldn't stop anyone from building and selling boards. 

I am also swamped with the day job where I earn actual living wage, because I've taken on a new role, and have to learn several new technology stacks. So I don't have energy during the week to work on TIPI. 

So, the file manager is coming along slowly, on weekends.  It involves learning as well, so no ETA.

I will resume soldering once the file manager is released. I cannot justify spending what little time I have on soldering when the TipiPEB is not working as advertised. 

If you search worldwide, you can find some on eBay. They look a little different... I don't know anything about their quality.

-M@

#2 twoodland OFFLINE  

twoodland

Star Raider

• 51 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:13 PM

Thank you so much for the update and good luck with your new role at work!  I appreciate that you are supporting your users!  I hope you get the issue resolved soon so you can take a break and relax.  As for me, I really want one from you if at all possible, so I will be patient.  Thank you so much for all of your talent, hard work and time spent!

#3 videofx OFFLINE  

videofx

Chopper Commander

• 130 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:29 PM

And as always, I wouldn't stop anyone from building 

If I can get kits or parts I would be more than wiling to build kits for anyone. I have plenty of time during the day.

Thanks for letting us know. I didn't want to upset anyone by asking

#4 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,735 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:35 PM

If I can get kits or parts I would be more than wiling to build kits for anyone. I have plenty of time during the day.

Thanks for letting us know. I didn't want to upset anyone by asking

It's all there in github.. help yourself!

#5 FarmerPotato OFFLINE  

FarmerPotato

Chopper Commander

• 123 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:41 PM

How about a group order for factory assembly? The final step would then be Xilinx programming and EPROM.

I made a quick estimate for tipi (sidecar) on https://www.smart-pr...Assembling.html

An order of 25 to 100 units assembled comes in at each $40 plus component cost.

Matt, what do you think? If somebody else did all the busy work, would you do the final steps to program them?

I would be willing to put in money.

Edited by FarmerPotato, Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:52 PM.

#6 jedimatt42 OFFLINE  

jedimatt42

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,815 posts

Posted Tue Oct 9, 2018 8:25 PM

I'd be happy to make the jed file available. I use free Xilinx software, and a ~$35 knock-off Xilinx Platform USB Cable from ebay.  

I cannot commit to anything like what FarmerPotato is proposing at this time. The surface mount work isn't even 50% of the time cost anymore. Cutting down beaglebone black stacking headers and spacers, cleaning after the thru-hole work, and testing take up most of the time.  

I don't make enough profit from these to cover my time. So if the guy in Hungary is building them, you all buying from him or some other source is worth more to me than if I have to build them. Arcadeshopper has contributed a ton of time on the support side of this project! If you want to show support for the project, show it to him. 

Emotionally, portions of the community have soured on me. I'm not in a mental place to invest/commit. Hopefully I'll feel different in the future. 

I do intend to continue to build and make them available in my non-committed trickle fashion, after I've satisfied the obligations previously discussed in this thread. 

-M@

#7 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 3,735 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:00 AM

How about a group order for factory assembly? The final step would then be Xilinx programming and EPROM.

I made a quick estimate for tipi (sidecar) on https://www.smart-pr...Assembling.html

An order of 25 to 100 units assembled comes in at each $40 plus component cost.

Matt, what do you think? If somebody else did all the busy work, would you do the final steps to program them?

I would be willing to put in money.

unfortunately there's more steps than just programming, the testing is the hard part. and then resolving issues. 

I'm working with the guy in Hungary who is going to build some sidecar boards for my store.  In addition as Matt said he's trickling out some sidecar boards as well.  And once he finishes the diskmanager software the PEB boards will resume production. 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users