Technical problem: Controller Inputs - no reaction

10 replies to this topic

#1 DarkSoulRob OFFLINE  

DarkSoulRob

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:30 PM

Hi Atari Jaguar Fans!

I found this Forum by looking for a solution with a technical problem.
I ordered a Jaguar Starter Pack with a Console, 3 Controllers, Team Tap and Cybermorph in working condition. I soldered me a RGB Cable and I got a great picture with nice sound. But the Jag doesnt react of my Controller inputs. No button seems to work with all three power pads. I opened the Condole and measured the Pins at the Controller Ports. All 11 Pins which used shows 5V. I measured also the power pad at the connector. 5V each. So its not a problem with connection I think.
I have no idea how I can fix that issue. Could it be a issue with the cartridge? Or with the ICs?
I hope some guys can help me in this special forum. I wanna keep this rare console.
If some datas or measurements are needed I will try to give.

Regards Robert

#2 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 533 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:59 PM

Welcome to the Jag forum, bud! :)

Have you tried your system without your RGB cable? With RF (shudders...) for instance?

Just to be clear. You are plugging your controllers straight into the console, not via the Team Tap?

#3 DarkSoulRob OFFLINE  

DarkSoulRob

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:40 PM

No I tried it with my RGB cable only and i think the cable does work. I get the start screen and cybermorph runs in a demo after that. But I could test with RF of course.

Yes I plugged all 3 Controllers straight into the console Port 1. I tried also Port 2 and with Team Tap but that was more kind of despair.

On my research I read it could be an issue with the ICs U20, U21, U25 (74HC244) but I dont know which things I have to measure for finding it out...
ICs are looking okay and dont warmup or such things.

#4 Stephen Moss OFFLINE  

Stephen Moss

Stargunner

• 1,092 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:01 AM

It sound like a problem with the Jag as 3 controllers are not working but just to be sure...

What I would do is open up one of the controllers and measure between Pins 10 & 20 (bottom Left & top right) of IC U1 (74HC244) you should measure +5V, if you do then...

Measure between Pin 10 of U1 and pins 1 & 19, both pins 1 & 19 should read 0V, if that is correct...

Measure between Pin 10 of U1 and resistor R1 to R6, you should get a reading of 5V, if correct then...

Connect a piece of wire between pin 10 of U1 and Pins 2, 4, ,6 ,8 11 & 13, this should set pins 18, 16, 14, 12, 9 & 7 respectively low, if not then U1 is defective, so and the Jaguar is reading the controller input something should happen.

Alternatively, to test the Jaguar controller port directly connect a piece of wire (or preferable a 100 ohm resistor) from controller port pin 9 to pins 6, 10, 11, 12, 13 & 14 again if the Jaguar is reading the controller input something should happen.     

#5 LinkoVitch OFFLINE  

LinkoVitch

River Patroller

• 2,548 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:03 AM

I second what GummyBear suggested, try it with dirty RF and just one pad plugged into port 1.  Disconnect your cable etc, make the setup as simple as possible to limit the number of possible variables for the issue.

Good luck

#6 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 533 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:06 PM

You're not trying to use any kind of controller extension (VGA) cable are you?

#7 DarkSoulRob OFFLINE  

DarkSoulRob

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:18 PM

No the Controller is in the Controller Port. Without extension cables, Team tap,... :)
I will try with the RF out when Im at home. If it dont work I will measure across the Pins like Stephen Moss said.

Edit: no changes with RF except quality

Edited by DarkSoulRob, Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:09 PM.

#8 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 533 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 PM

Ah... Sad times. :(
It's sounding like you were sold a lemon.
After you tried measuring the points, and if it's definitely busted, can you send it back?

#9 DarkSoulRob OFFLINE  

DarkSoulRob

Combat Commando

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:10 PM

Maybe I could but I dont want to give up so quickly. Was a good deal with a private seller who find it in his chamber in great condition with OVP.
I think it is reparable. Maybe someone connected or disconnected a Pad without turning off the console or something else. But I need input to find the issue, dead IC...
Measurement follows but I had not enough time today.

I could it also give to some professional guys from my German forum with much more skills.
But I want to try it by my own first :)

Edited by DarkSoulRob, Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:11 PM.

#10 Gummy Bear OFFLINE  

Gummy Bear

Dragonstomper

• 533 posts

Posted Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:20 PM

Yeah it would be best to fix it, for sure :)

I'm afraid when things boil down to component failure, I cease to be useful. Lol

So I'll wish you good luck!

#11 UHATEIT OFFLINE  

UHATEIT

Dragonstomper

• 534 posts

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:56 PM

Just a random chime in. If there was ever a pro controller plugged into the ports it can often stretch them out causing connection issues with the regular controllers. But if all the controllers plug in nice and snug then that's not the issue. Hopefully you find the solution! I have 3 jaguars but if you had a spare you could test the controllers in another one to see if they work then you'd know it's the Jag itself.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users