Photo

Coleco 1932 - 1982 : The Official History

2 replies to this topic

#1 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• 2,736 posts

Posted Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:02 PM

As a supplement to Coleco Industries, Inc. 1981 Annual Report, Coleco included a 56 page booklet titled "Coleco 1932 - 1982".  This is in essence as close as you'll ever come to an official history of the first 50 years of the company - written and endorsed by Coleco themselves.  This even includes a financial summary for the company from 1962 to 1981.

The scan attached was done by a local commercial printers and they succeeded in washing out the colour somewhat in the process.  The pages should all have a yellowish tinge to them to reflect the colour of the paper (see my scan of the 1981 Annual Report) and the colour of the photographs should be richer.  I no longer have the booklet that this was scanned from but have in the interim bought one of my own.  I would like to redo the scan myself but the booklet has a thick glued spine and it will inevitably get badly damaged in the scanning process (the other one was).  For now I've been reluctant to go ahead and do this.  So, in the meantime enjoy the scan that is currently available which also contains bookmarks and is searchable.

Fascinating stuff in my opinion.

Attached Files

#2 jfcarbel OFFLINE  

jfcarbel

Space Invader

• 13 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 11:22 AM

I have couple classic BYTE magazines with Apple and Steve Jobs and in same boat.  I first thought about using one of those industrial cutters to remove spine, but really did not want to destroy the version as could sell on eBay.

Seems like cameras now are so advanced that they are enough for scanning jobs and much faster then flatbed scanners.  So started looking at stuff like this:  https://makezine.com...y-book-scanner/

In my research in the past I saw someone who wrote software that did image optimizations specifically for pictures take of magazines and books and removed shadows from the spin distortions on pages when you open book to take picture.   I will see if I can find it, but was thinking of trying to build something much more simpler even if it just comes close.

#3 Ikrananka OFFLINE  

Ikrananka

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,736 posts

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2018 2:25 PM

I have couple classic BYTE magazines with Apple and Steve Jobs and in same boat.  I first thought about using one of those industrial cutters to remove spine, but really did not want to destroy the version as could sell on eBay.

Seems like cameras now are so advanced that they are enough for scanning jobs and much faster then flatbed scanners.  So started looking at stuff like this:  https://makezine.com...y-book-scanner/

In my research in the past I saw someone who wrote software that did image optimizations specifically for pictures take of magazines and books and removed shadows from the spin distortions on pages when you open book to take picture.   I will see if I can find it, but was thinking of trying to build something much more simpler even if it just comes close.

I scoured my home town for someone who could do the book photo method and had the right equipment and critically the software to remove the spine shadow and distortion.  Only found a couple who said they could do it and I ended up trying one company who had to set their equipment up specially for me which didn't bode well with their experience using it.  The results were crap.  Not to say that this method doesn't work, it just put me off trying again as I'd already sunk a lot of time into this.  It was then that I took it to a commercial printers, emphasised that I didn't want the spine bent and was assured that they wouldn't do that.  Got the scans back and not only was the colour correction wrong but they badly bent the spine.  Needless to say that this was my last attempt.

I really think that the only way to get near perfect scans/images is to cut off the spine - but like you I am reluctant to destroy something that is so rare.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users