Photo

Pause on the Intellivision. What happens?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Bamse OFFLINE  

Bamse

Star Raider

• 91 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 7:15 AM

Just wondered if anyone knew what exactly happens when you put the Inty on pause? Does it put the system into an endless loop or, does it keep the ram going but put the cpu to sleep or, something completely different?

#2 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,646 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 8:19 AM

All it does is set up a "dummy" ISR (I terrify service routine" that does nothing, and disable the active display, which makes blanks the screen with the border color. Then the CPU goes on a loop reading the I/O port waiting for a key event.

It really is just a "busy wait." The screen blanking helps to prevent "burn in," which was common on the old CRT television sets.

dZ.

#3 Bamse OFFLINE  

Bamse

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 8:29 AM

I see. So the cpu continues to work just as hard in pause?

#4 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,646 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 8:43 AM

I see. So the cpu continues to work just as hard in pause?

Well, it's doing work, sure, the machine will always be engaged while the power is on.

In case it is your concern, it will generate heat; perhaps not as much as while processing a game when the rest of the devices are engaged as well, but the console will heat up.

It will save your screen by blanking it, and will allow the player to go to the bathroom or get a drink, which were the main objectives, I suppose.

All that said, I recall back in the day leaving my console on for days (and it has happened to me in the last few years as well, by accident), without any I'll effects. Just make sure the vents are not covered.

dZ.

#5 Bamse OFFLINE  

Bamse

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 8:47 AM

Heat is my concern yes :) but I was also interested in what happens when paused.

#6 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,646 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 8:55 AM

Heat is my concern yes :) but I was also interested in what happens when paused.

Yeah, pausing for few hours shouldn't be a problem; just keep the vents clear and the console in an open and ventilated area. I would try to avoid keeping the console on for days, though. These are old machines. They were built to work reliably and to last, but Rey are still over 30 years old. ;)

dZ.

#7 Bamse OFFLINE  

Bamse

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 9:01 AM

Would never leave it on for longer than I was planning on playing for in one session. Although, I know I must of done this when I was a kid :)
It was more from a standpoint of giving the machine a rest when playing a particularly long and cpu taxing game like Astrosmash. I wondered if pausing would give the cpu a break and allow it to cool down? Of cause if the cpu works the same regardless of pause then pausing it would have the opposite effect as it will lengthen the overall length of time the matching is on.

Edited by Bamse, Mon Oct 1, 2018 9:02 AM.

#8 DZ-Jay OFFLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,646 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 9:18 AM

I think the hardware guys can answer with more accuracy, but I would imagine that it does not make a difference whether you pause or not. The machine will generate heat in any case, and like you said, pausing will extend the session time.

dZ.

#9 JasonlikesINTV OFFLINE  

JasonlikesINTV

Quadrunner

• 9,318 posts

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2018 6:16 PM

When I was playing Mousetrap for the High Score Competition I left my console paused while I was at work during the day and while sleeping at night. It got noticeably warm, but I propped it up on 4 carts to add some space between it and the table and had a small fan blowing over it. Maybe overkill, but it lasted around a week before I gave up and quit.

#10 Bamse OFFLINE  

Bamse

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 12:58 AM

I don't think that's overkill. The ventilation on them is definitely not great with only three pairs of vent holes on the underside. I've bought a laptop cooling pad to put it on and a USB fan to move air over the top when playing for any length of time. Hopefully this will aid in cooling.

#11 Bamse OFFLINE  

Bamse

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2018 12:59 AM

Which version Inty do you have Jason?

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users