IGNORED

New Starcat Devocean project?

Starcat

New Starcat Devocean project?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to get and play this on the Jaguar?

• Yes, but as a physical release.
    • Yes, as a download (for a small fee).
    • Yes, as a download (but for free).
    • No, not my kind of game.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

A Story based andventure game could be well done on the Jag, however the graphics you put in might be limited by ROM space. BUT, if i remember correctly, old point and click adventures on PC had between 8-11MB on floppy disks, which is possible on the Jaguar on a 6MB cart and compression. With any adventure game, they are not showcases of hardware power, they are and always were supposed to run on rather weak machines.

The quality of the story, characters, dialogue and world design, the puzzle design/game mechanics are features that are NOT confined by the (Jaguar) hardware. Play a bit Dracula on the Lynx to see how an adventure could look and play on a much smaller machine. Or look at some older ones on C64 or other 8 bit machines. You can do anything from photorealsitic, to pixel art to very abstract minimalistic graphics or just only text based. Hardware power really does not matter - it is Imagination.

Todays indie games are great examples of creativity and Imagination often trumping raw technical prowess (of Blockbuster games). And often it is limitation itself that spurs creativity and leads the greater results. Simple because you Need intellegent Solutions to overcome obstacles, thinking outside of the box, the need to FOCUS on things rather than to project unrealistic expectations.

Edited by agradeneu
  • Like 3

@sh3-rg: What I have in mind will probably be a cross between something text heavy like you posted and some location artwork, but in a simple pixel style.

Lost Dragon, Saturn, Clint Thompson, Diatoir3d, and Stephen Moss: You have summed things up pretty well.

@agradeneu: I agree with what you said about storytelling games and them being available for all kinds of systems.
Except that I don't understand that last part about "rather than to project unrealistic expectations."

For now imagine it as an interactive story like sh3-rg posted, but with some location art to illustrate. That should be close enough without raising false expectations.

• Like 2

@sh3-rg: What I have in mind will probably be a cross between something text heavy like you posted and some location artwork, but in a simple pixel style.

Lost Dragon, Saturn, Clint Thompson, Diatoir3d, and Stephen Moss: You have summed things up pretty well.

@agradeneu: I agree with what you said about storytelling games and them being available for all kinds of systems.

Except that I don't understand that last part about "rather than to project unrealistic expectations."

For now imagine it as an interactive story like sh3-rg posted, but with some location art to illustrate. That should be close enough without raising false expectations.

I was generally referring to common trappings.

Edited by agradeneu