I've always been opposed to the "Lightening Force" name because of the spelling. But I don't mind "Blazing Lazers" in spite of the spelling. /shrug

I think Defender should definitely count!

Edit: Had to do an edit because I misspelled something! LOL

Edited by Eltigro

Does Williams Defender count as a shootem up. Newer games seem too easy.

Really? Normally I agree that newer games are too easy, but I don't know if I'd say the same about shmups, which have largely distilled themselves into 'bullet hell' games.

The bullet hells kind of exclude casuals--or really anybody that doesn't want to memorize everything, or anybody who wants to look at scenery, or even look at the top of the screen every now and again. I think difficulty is actually the reason for the low number of games mentioned in this favorites thread from the last 15 years or so.

Crimzon Clover World Ignition is the only one I can think of that attempts to ease new players into the genre, which is why it's in my list.

Edited by Reaperman

Just from the few I've managed to play, I definitely have to put DoDonPachi (arcade) and Gaires (MegaDrive) on the list. Blazing Star (Neo-Geo) is like a vert shmup done as a horizontal one and very fun. Einhander (PS1) is godlike, Armed Police Batrider (arcade) is also really cool.

Some of the classics I haven't really dug into tho like Radiant Silvergun, Axeley, Ikagura, Soukyugurentai, ThunderForce IV, Pulstar etc. so I can't say to how much I enjoyed them until I do.

I've always been opposed to the "Lightening Force" name because of the spelling. But I don't mind "Blazing Lazers" in spite of the spelling. /shrug

I think Defender should definitely count!

Edit: Had to do an edit because I misspelled something! LOL

I assume that "Blazing Lazers" is purposefully stylized spelling, like "Krispy Kreme", and not bad spelling. At least it sounds good. "Lightening Force" can't be explained as anything besides bad spelling and it looks lame.

• Like 1

I assume that "Blazing Lazers" is purposefully stylized spelling, like "Krispy Kreme", and not bad spelling. At least it sounds good. "Lightening Force" can't be explained as anything besides bad spelling and it looks lame.

Yep. I'm FB friends with a lady I used to teach with who will post about "thunder and lightening"... it's so frustrating... not only is she in education, but she was a science teacher! C'mon!

Surprised that Sega's Zaxxon has been said by someone

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psikyo is some what underrated outside of Strikers 1942 and their previous involvement on Aero Fighter

Gunbird series

Dragon Blaze

Samurai Aces

Zero Gunner series

Too many to name.

Some of my favorites:

• Radiant Silvergun (arcade, Xbox 360, Saturn)
  • Strikers 1945 II (arcade, PS1, Saturn, Switch, etc)
  • R-Type Delta (PS1)
  • Raiden (arcade and PS1 versions specifically)
  • Giga Wing (arcade, Dreamcast)
  • Espgaluda (arcade, PS2)
  • Gradius series (too many platforms to name)
  • MUSHA (Genesis)
  • Thunder Force IV/Lightening Force (Genesis)
  • UN Squadron (both the arcade and SNES versions, similar yet pretty different at the same time)
  • Rayforce (arcade, Saturn as Galactic Attack/Layer Section)
  • Raystorm (arcade, PS1, 360 for HD version, PS2 via the Taito Legends 2 pack)
  • Mushihimesama Futari (arcade, Xbox 360, PC)
  • Esprade (arcade)
  • Darius Gaiden (arcade, Saturn, PS1, PS2 via Taito Legends 2 pack)
  • Darius Burst Chronicles (PC and PS4 specifically)

Bumping this post. I may post my own list later but Austin's list here s close to what I'd put down. A solid list and expensive, unfortunately shmups are probably equal to rpgs in terms of fanaticism and pricing\rarity scale.

I'm hella surprised to see Star Force (NES) mentionned here. That game is super nostalgic for me, but I never really thought of it as "one of the greats".

The NES is mostly where it's at for me, with such titles as :

• Gun.Smoke
  • Legendary Wings (rather easy but quite enjoyable)
  • LIFE MADDACRAKING FORCE
  • B-Wings (famicom/multicart staple)

Raiden (arcade) remains a favorite of mine. There are numerous clones that are worthwhile, also. I couldn't name one, but I remember playing a bunch of Raiden wannabe sharewares in the 90s and most were good.

If people are allowed to mention Panzer Dragoon (god tier stuff, this), then I'll give Star Fox 64 the nod. And in that vein, Total Eclipse on the 3DO.

Also, Phoenix HD on iOS.

Bumping this post. I may post my own list later but Austin's list here s close to what I'd put down. A solid list and expensive, unfortunately shmups are probably equal to rpgs in terms of fanaticism and pricing\rarity scale.

On the flip side, emulation is free and many of the arcade ports can be had on modern systems for reasonable prices (i.e., Radiant Silvergun on 360/Xbox One for $15, Strikers 1945 1 and 2 on Switch for $8 a piece, etc). :)

Here's a small list of great shooters:

(Famicom/NES):

Dragon Spirit: The New Legend

Gradius

Gradius II

Legendary Wings

Over Horizon

Salamander

Zanac

(Super Famicom/Super NES):

Gradius III

Super Aleste

(Sega Mark III/Master System):

Astro Warrior

Cloud Master

(Arcade):

1943 Kai

Gradius

Gradius II

Gradius III

Salamander

(Game Boy):

Gradius: The Interstellar Assault

Nemesis

Solar Striker

(Game Boy Advance):

Gradius Galaxies

(PC Engine):

Dragon Spirit

Gradius

Gradius II (Super CD-ROM)

On the flip side, emulation is free and many of the arcade ports can be had on modern systems for reasonable prices (i.e., Radiant Silvergun on 360/Xbox One for $15, Strikers 1945 1 and 2 on Switch for $8 a piece, etc). :)

Emulation is not the same experience as playing on the original console with a stock controller and a CRT tv. You don't have to be a competitive gamer to see and feel the differences experienced with emulation over the last 15 years. Emulators are neat, convenient, and tend to have fun or interesting capabilities.

As for arcade games, console ports (be they standalone or part of a collection) are not necessarily arcade perfect. In my experience, people tend to focus solely on the graphics whilst more subtle changes go unmentioned or unnoticed.

Emulation is not the same experience as playing on the original console with a stock controller and a CRT tv. You don't have to be a competitive gamer to see and feel the differences experienced with emulation over the last 15 years. Emulators are neat, convenient, and tend to have fun or interesting capabilities.

As for arcade games, console ports (be they standalone or part of a collection) are not necessarily arcade perfect. In my experience, people tend to focus solely on the graphics whilst more subtle changes go unmentioned or unnoticed.

The problem with all of this is that we're not living in 2002 anymore. Shmups (both arcade and console) from past generations have become the single most expensive sub-genre to get into and appreciate via original, real hardware. This is true not just for the original arcade PCBs, but also many of the highest regarded shooters on various consoles from over the decades (Oh who am I kidding? Even a lot of mediocre shmups have risen significantly). If people want to experience the best without selling a kidney, they will need to dive into other means of acquiring these games (flash carts, software emulation, or modern conversions for current platforms).

• Like 1

The problem with all of this is that we're not living in 2002 anymore. Shmups (both arcade and console) from past generations have become the single most expensive sub-genre to get into and appreciate via original, real hardware. This is true not just for the original arcade PCBs, but also many of the highest regarded shooters on various consoles from over the decades (Oh who am I kidding? Even a lot of mediocre shmups have risen significantly). If people want to experience the best without selling a kidney, they will need to dive into other means of acquiring these games (flash carts, software emulation, or modern conversions for current platforms).

Odd that you should mention the year 2002...when emulators were still very much in their infancy. People were still using NESticle back then.

Stupid statement aside, it's not as if inflation didn't exist prior to 2002. These things come and go. Ridiculous ads with outlandish prices existed on Ebay at the time. It can (and, frankly, should) force people to become less ignorant and more resourceful. It also helps to be patient. Do you have to have this game by this date? Are you suffering from a terminal illness? No? Then fucking relax and do what you can. If you don't end up owning it, then suck it up. I may never own a copy of Zanac X Zanac, but it ain't the end of the world. Being overly dramatic about the prices only serves to make you look whiny.

If emulators are your most feasible option, then have at it. I'm certainly grateful for their existence and have enjoyed many gaming hours via multiple emulators.

The point behind my comment about arcade ports was to clarify that it may not be "arcade perfect". If that doesn't matter to you, then you're good to go.

Odd that you should mention the year 2002...when emulators were still very much in their infancy. People were still using NESticle back then.

Stupid statement aside, it's not as if inflation didn't exist prior to 2002. These things come and go. Ridiculous ads with outlandish prices existed on Ebay at the time. It can (and, frankly, should) force people to become less ignorant and more resourceful. It also helps to be patient. Do you have to have this game by this date? Are you suffering from a terminal illness? No? Then fucking relax and do what you can. If you don't end up owning it, then suck it up. I may never own a copy of Zanac X Zanac, but it ain't the end of the world. Being overly dramatic about the prices only serves to make you look whiny.

If emulators are your most feasible option, then have at it. I'm certainly grateful for their existence and have enjoyed many gaming hours via multiple emulators.

The point behind my comment about arcade ports was to clarify that it may not be "arcade perfect". If that doesn't matter to you, then you're good to go.

Man, who pissed in your coffee today?

My favorites that I own

Soldier Blade (PC-E/TG-16) my favorite game of all time

Final Soldier (PC-E)

GunHed/Blazing Lazers (PC-E/TG-16) I just bought this one

Tyrian 2000 (MS-DOS)

Gun Nac (NES/Famicom)

Dragon Spirit (NES/Famicom)

Super Spy Hunter/ Battle Formula (NES/Famicom)

You gotta limit yourself because let's face it the vast majority of video games have you shooting shit up/down/left/right/ and forward and every which way. :lol: People will debate it all day long but for my own sanity I limit it to the two basic gametypes of 1, horizontal and 2. vertical shooters, and call it a day.

Of course even within that you have endless variations (e.g. Contra vs. R-Type, vs. Pocky & Rocky vs. Commando, vs. Vanguard, etc.) .. but hey you gotta start somewhere. I wouldn't classify my favorite game of all time, Robotron, for example, as a shmup.

I consider there to be a 3rd kind... the rear view variant as in Space Harrier, Thunder Blade, and Galaxy Force II...