Question; When did the word Shmup become a trend? It's Overhead Shooters

It basically became a new term to distinguish from FPS. It used to be just 'shooter', but that became confusing with the advent of the 3D 'shooter'.

DOOM and then Quake and all it's clones became so popular they really hijacked the term. I saw and read so many people years ago express about how 'shooters' were their favorite genre, when they were talking specifically about First-Person Shooter, and would get confused by the other guy that his favorites were also shooters. So you'd have to say something more descriptive like 'Shoot-Em-Up'. Thus, SHMUP was born into the gamer slang lexicon.

Overhead shooter is only one style of SHMUP, as that would describe a vertical shooter, as opposed to a horizontal shooter like Gradius, which is not an 'overhead' viewpoint.

I've actually had this conversation multiple times over the years, and it still happens now. I work with a guy that wanted to know what my favorite style of game is, and I said shooters. "Oh you mean like COD and PUBG?"....no, so I had to explain. I'm convinced the vast majority of gamers don't even know what SHMUP means or what games they are. I've tried explaining just what a shoot-em-up is to some and just get a dumbfounded reaction in return. It's a rather narrow genre for an even more narrow segment of gamers.

• Like 1

I first heard the term "shmup" in the 90's on their hosted site on the old classicgaming.com (viewable in wayback machine) . Remarkably they still keep most of the site content up to this day now at http://www.shmups.com Anyway I didn't think it was obnoxious and it reminded me of me and my buds saying "squeet" for 'let's go eat" so I accepted it. :lol:

My favorites as a kid were Omega Race on the VIC-20 and Tiger Heli on the NES. In later years, Thunder Force IV and Gaiares on the Genesis were both cool. These days I still really enjoy Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga from Treasure.

And no mention of Shmups is complete without a mention of Zero Wing. :lol:

Question; When did the word Shmup become a trend? It's Overhead Shooters

:? :? :? The name has been around for many years.

Why aren't beat 'em ups bumps? :)

I've heard them called Beamups. Edited by derFunkenstein

I love the Raiden series. The original is one of my favorite games of all time. I thought Raiden 2, DX, 3, and 4 were all great, as well as the Raiden Fighters sub-series.

But I hate Raiden 5. There is a stupid voiceover narrative during the gameplay and unskippable cutscenes. I don't mind that they fleshed-out the story, but I don't want it to take precedence over the action. You now have a lifebar. And the worst thing is the low contrast between the bullets and the bright background, making the bullets hard to see...a mortal sin in shmups.

The Raiden series is probably my favorite shmup series... or it is at least my best represented. I've got Raiden for the Jag and TurboGrafx, Raiden Trad for the SNES, and Raiden Fighters Aces for the XBox 360 on physical as well as Raiden IV for the 360 on digital. I've looked at Raiden V on XBox One, I think, but it looks pretty similar to Raiden IV, so I've been hesitant to get it. Seems the newer Raiden games just don't grab me as much as the older ones... not sure why. What differences, good or bad, are there between IV and V besides the extraneous stuff on the sides?

post-21069-0-63563800-1540731486_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

There is a stupid voiceover narrative during the gameplay ...

This reminded me of another shmup I have... Silpheed The Lost Planet for Playstation 2... no cutscenes, but there is some kind of voice over that I can barely make out and don't really pay attention to anyway because I'm trying to play the game. lol

The Raiden series is probably my favorite shmup series... or it is at least my best represented. I've got Raiden for the Jag and TurboGrafx, Raiden Trad for the SNES, and Raiden Fighters Aces for the XBox 360 on physical as well as Raiden IV for the 360 on digital. I've looked at Raiden V on XBox One, I think, but it looks pretty similar to Raiden IV, so I've been hesitant to get it. Seems the newer Raiden games just don't grab me as much as the older ones... not sure why. What differences, good or bad, are there between IV and V besides the extraneous stuff on the sides?

attachicon.gifIMG_5188.JPG

I like how straightforward they are without the heavy rank of other top shmups, and convoluted scoring techniques required of Cave games. Raiden Fighters series is an exception with the medals though, that has a learning curve to it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tonight I played:

GunHed

Super Star Soldier

Final Soldier

Soldier Blade

Dragon Spirit

Heavy Unit

All on PC-Engine.

Heavy Unit is kinda odd. It's by Taito and in many ways it looks like a Darius game. Except you can transform into a mech. I've not been able to get past the boss on 1-4. I'm kinda bad at horizontal shumps. Also, Super Star Solider seems a lot harder than rest of the Soldier Series (not including the original on NES/FC). It's one of those games where if you lose a ship you have to start the whole level over. Stuck on Stage 2 atm. Dragon Spirit has no continues while the NES game does. Maybe Dragon Saber has them IDK, haven't played it yet. GunHed, Final Soldier, and Soldier Blade I can get pretty far in. Been to the final stage of GunHed even.

One shmup I really want to get for PC-Engine is Override. But that can be pretty expensive (around the cost of Soldier Blade sometimes, and more if complete). Think i'd get it as a repro.

Any recommendations for PC-Engine shmups (HuCard only)?

Edited by TravisHuckins
  • Like 1

I only played one TG shmup yesterday. Psychosis (Paranoia on the PCE). Watched a twitch streamer play some of the PCE version and started noticing differences... title screen, order in which the powerups drop, even levels... the 2nd and 3rd levels are swapped.

Back in the day, I beat Psychosis with one ship. Mainly because, if you die in the later levels, it's too hard to get powered back up, so every time I died, I'd just reset... like I was some weird speed runner or something. lol

Yesterday, I got somewhere in the middle of the fifth level before dying... and resetting.

Edit: And after watching that long play... I'm pretty sure I only got through the first loop with 1 ship. lol...

Edited by Eltigro

Cool man.. you're obviously a person who likes ios shooters, and I'm downloading some of those as I type. :D

Yknow one game I really enjoyed as of late, was Toon Shooters, although I played it on an ipad, so I'm not sure if it's iphone compatible. It's a total homage with nods to various classics like R-Type & Gradius, etc. And you power-up over time as you play multiple games so it's rewarding in that way as well.. Just a suggestion since I didn't see it that extensive list. :)

• Like 1

You reminded me of Super Hydorah, and as a result the company that also made Cursed Castilla, and they're fullware versions of freeware games they already had put out a few years back. I need to get into those. But also of all those Space Jet looks good, but I can see it reeks of IAP. Is that required to really get anywhere without being a whale or a painful grind? I remember those old shooters kind of like that Galaxy on Fire 2 game which didn't seem to cheap people to death while kind of being like a wing commander lite. I really forgot about it until now and I should re-activate it now that I have much more phone space (my 5S had 16GB of space mostly used up as the game is over 1GB in size.)

I'd like to find more star fox/wing commander type stuff that works on touch well enough not to be infuriating yet also not plagued with IAP abuse or overly slow aggravating energy meters and grinds.

Tanooki,

I don't consider 3D Wing Commander type gamesto be SHMUPS, but I like those, too.

Galaxy on Fire 3 has IAP and grind but you can outright buy the story mode. Production values are great (like everything from this company) but it hasn't hooked my like GOF2 did.

I think you might enjoy Subdivision Infinity. Pay once, no nonsense.

https://toucharcade.com/2017/06/02/subdivision-infinity-review-shoot-first-no-need-for-questions/