IGNORED

AtGames Blast! Family Fun Products - Official Thread and Feature Requests

Bill Loguidice

Well when you have a bunch of mind numbed youtube sheep hanging on your every word as gospel, and an outside entity you feel made you look bad, you have to kind of walk a line because who wouldn't be smiling if they basically got free crap daily just for pushing the stuff on a freebie video channel online. Think of the monetary amounts behind the advertising, free stuff, and other odds and ends because you'd be smiling too.

:roll:

I second that eye roll. Let's not make Hancock the enemy here... he probably won't be getting any free products from AtGames now that he's sharply criticized the company. This is starting to sound like that other argument we had about the value of YouTube content makers. I don't think I need to reiterate that I find their work important and that they don't deserve to have sand kicked in their faces by people with old-fashioned views of employment. They get enough crap from YouTube scheming to demonetize their videos.

• Like 3

I've been kind of watching on the sidelines of the Blast situation. While I get why people are upset about this, I've never had any interest in the Blast line. Chances are most of these games, I have some other way to play, These seem geared as impulse purchases rather than for anyone that may find themselves here. Giving John Hancock the arcade rom version for review which wasn't what people were going to find in stores, put him in a bad spot. On the other the target audience for this item, may not be people who watch John Hancock. Mind you, I'm enjoying watching his videos. So, I guess my question is how many people were even buying this in the first place, before the controversy.

I, for one, wasn't. However, I am interested into what AtGames is producing as I have owned past products (INTV FB and Sega Genesis Firecore) and seriously contemplating getting the Atari FB handheld this year as playing 2600 games on my modded PSP works for some, but not so great for others. In regards to the situation with the Namco Blast product, I can understanding why John Hancock (and others) are a bit miffed. AtGames should have handled the situation a lot better than what they did. However, Bill himself has stated that the situation should have been handled better and explained numerous time exactly how the situation occurred in the first place. While reviewers and the community at large should hold AtGames accountable for their actions, people need to check their oil a bit and layoff the click bait videos calling AtGames a bunch of scam artists when others have have straight up tried to sell vaporware. Rake those people over the coals, and not (necessarily) people and/or companies producing actual products. Just my opinion on things.

I've been kind of watching on the sidelines of the Blast situation. While I get why people are upset about this, I've never had any interest in the Blast line. Chances are most of these games, I have some other way to play, These seem geared as impulse purchases rather than for anyone that may find themselves here. Giving John Hancock the arcade rom version for review which wasn't what people were going to find in stores, put him in a bad spot. On the other the target audience for this item, may not be people who watch John Hancock. Mind you, I'm enjoying watching his videos. So, I guess my question is how many people were even buying this in the first place, before the controversy.

I second that eye roll. Let's not make Hancock the enemy here... he probably won't be getting any free products from AtGames now that he's sharply criticized the company. This is starting to sound like that other argument we had about the value of YouTube content makers. I don't think I need to reiterate that I find their work important and that they don't deserve to have sand kicked in their faces by people with old-fashioned views of employment. They get enough crap from YouTube scheming to demonetize their videos.

I never said the guy was the enemy. The point was there are a lot of these coat tails hanger on types who all do these same types of things because it gets them attention and a lot of free product amounting to paid shills. Some are honest, a lot of others will overlook things because they walk a fine line between honesty and omission and then brutal honesty because those giving them goodies don't want brutal truth because it can make them look bad. In turn as you said, after being honest you end up pissing off those giving you freebies to 'review' and then they'll stop sending stuff. Companies don't want to give out freebies to youtube people who help peddle their stuff because they want free positive advertising, not the honest truth because then it can drive people away from it.

Yes, nothing to do with us, unknown origin, but of course we'll be blamed for it.

I can't see the incentive to randomly give AtGames products five star reviews before they're released though... I'd take your word for it but to be honest after the conflicting responses to people on Twitter in regards to the Blast dilemma I'm not sure what to think. Whole thing is very fishy to me.

• Like 1

I can't see the incentive to randomly give AtGames products five star reviews before they're released though... I'd take your word for it but to be honest after the conflicting responses to people on Twitter in regards to the Blast dilemma I'm not sure what to think. Whole thing is very fishy to me.

Yeah, I don't get it either. And really, there are no conflicting reports. There are just the theories that people have, many of which are just as illogical as the idea we'd incentivize random people to give bogus 5 star reviews that are labeled "as part of a contest." I'd love to know the origins of that and how that could possibly help ANY product.

Yeah maybe it's some random site that gets you to do that do they can show they've driven people to Walmart's site or something. It's all very odd.

I still don't understand how the Blast could have been made with arcade ROMs and sent to reviewers before the ROMs being swapped. I read somewhere it was manufacturing issues? All the review units seemed to have a hell of a lot fewer issues than what's in store.

Then again, I don't believe AtGames would be stupid enough to purposely do that as obviously it'd be picked up very quickly. It think it might have been a good idea to let the reviewers know once the problem arose though.

Can you explain this, Bill?

Multiple five star reviews before the products were even released and reviewed "for a contest".

My guess is they know these things are bad and they're trying to influence sales with premature "good" reviews. They aren't being very inconspicuous about it if that's the case. I'd go by the reviews of people on this site or youtube who are actually playing and showing it in action, not anonymous reviews online. Sorry but nothing by Atgames ever deserves 5 stars, it's not realistic, especially when multiple people are doing it. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 1

My guess is they know these things are bad and they're trying to influence sales with premature "good" reviews. They aren't being very inconspicuous about it if that's the case. I'd go by the reviews of people on this site or youtube who are actually playing and showing it in action, not anonymous reviews online. Sorry but nothing by Atgames ever deserves 5 stars, it's not realistic, especially when multiple people are doing it. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

Again, this is not originating from AtGames. It would literally be the stupidest thing any company could do. I just don't see how these types of things, whether it's the "bait and switch" thing or paying for good reviews, gain traction, other than people just wanting to hate on the company, which I guess is understandable since any goodwill has long since been burned up by silly mistakes.

And for what it's worth, while a product may not be good for retro gamers who have different expectations, it's not an automatic that it's also bad for everyone else. These are just games after all, and if you just want to play some fun games, pinpoint accuracy is irrelevant as long as everything else about it is enjoyable.

I get the feeling that some of these toys (yes) are not for the hardcore, the people who care enough about label variations and stuff, those of us who read and post here. Remember when the Intellivision plug and play came out? Not the "Flashback" with the retro-style controllers, but the 12-in-one dingus that was shaped like an Xbox controller? It was a Nintendo on a chip with reprogrammed games, and it was of dubious quality. I disliked mine enough to send it back to Intellivision Productions, not sure if I actually got my refund, but I wanted it out of my house. Turns out that thing was a huge seller for them, a much bigger hit than any of the "pure" and faithful to the original releases they did like "Intellivision Lives" for PC.

Does this make these a "cash grab?" Well, perhaps -- but sometimes a business has to sell stuff in order to make enough money to create the more faithful replicas that we would like better. The new Atari Flashback (number 9, number 9, number 9) falls into that category for me -- very cool, perhaps the definitive version, certainly the best one thus far.

• Like 2

The Intellivision direct-to-tv packaging also had misleading screenshots on the packaging, but it also said that the "Original games have been modified" on the box.

The Namco Blast packaging similarly has arcade screenshots on the packaging, and the small print says: images are for reference only, specifications may vary. Is that enough?

Edit:

Enough, regarding false advertising laws. The intellivision direct-to-tv box states the games are not the same as the original. The Namco Blast box is very vague, it may or may not be the same. They know what's in there, no reason to be vague.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

The Intellivision direct-to-tv packaging also had misleading screenshots on the packaging, but it also said that the "Original games have been modified" on the box.

The Namco Blast packaging similarly has arcade screenshots on the packaging, and the small print says: images are for reference only, specifications may vary. Is that enough?

Enough for most people? I would think so. Enough for the die-hard hater of anything with an Atgames logo on it? The world is not enough.

Here's how Intellivision Productions handled it

ARE THE GAMES FULLY EMULATED?

No. The hardware in the controllers is based on the classic Nintendo game system. The games have been reprogrammed for the hardware.

WHAT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE?

We've worked to keep the games as close to the originals as possible, but some compromises had to be made. Some sounds, graphics, and options have been modified or cut. Is it right for you? As Jayson Hill says in his review on GameShark.com: "These things may really bug someone who devoted many long hours to mastering the games of the Intellivision back when it was a new system. For everyone else, they are just going to have fun."

I'll bet there are more people in the "just going to have fun" category for the Namco Blast games than there will be people out for blood, but the reach of YouTube is likely to make it feel the other way around.

Hardcore hobbyists and enthusiasts should know better than to look to these things. The smart ones will have a properly configured precision emulator set-up, the real thing, or some sort of FPGA emulation. The dumb ones will continue pursue this route and be disappointed time and time again. The drama-seekers will tag along on whatever bandwagon is rolling and endlessly complain.

When a company makes money from "basic" products" it does not always make "advanced" follow-up products, unfortunately.

Edited by Keatah

I'm interested in the Blast with paddles. I don't care if the games are arcade or 2600. Currently in the US so I might hunt one down as well as a Flashback 9 if the missus lets me :D

I picked up the Blast with paddles from Walmart earlier today and I can honestly say it's a lot of fun. Having wireless paddles is awesome and the game selection is pretty good. The emulation isn't perfect and the the performance can be a little rough at times, but its definitely worth $20. It's a lot better than I expected.

• Like 2

I picked up the Blast with paddles from Walmart earlier today and I can honestly say it's a lot of fun. Having wireless paddles is awesome and the game selection is pretty good. The emulation isn't perfect and the the performance can be a little rough at times, but its definitely worth $20. It's a lot better than I expected.

Oh sweet. Yeah I just want it for a bit of fun. It's a good price. Didn't know the paddles are wireless.

Bill if you're reading this, are the paddles compatible with the Flashback 9? I can't seem to find a version of that with paddles.

• Like 1

That is because people whine a lot. Like someone said earlier. Die hards need to look elsewhere. I have a genesis handheld and while I do not play it a lot I thought it has been worth every penny and mine had to be first or second year version.

• Like 1

That is because people whine a lot. Like someone said earlier. Die hards need to look elsewhere. I have a genesis handheld and while I do not play it a lot I thought it has been worth every penny and mine had to be first or second year version.

I had the handheld but the d-pad rendered it practically unplayable and die hard or not I could not handle that sound emulation.

From what I gather the AtGames Atari stuff is fantastic though and I'm not as clued up on 2600 as I am with Mega Drive so small issues I probably wouldn't notice anyway

• Like 1

I had the handheld but the d-pad rendered it practically unplayable and die hard or not I could not handle that sound emulation.

From what I gather the AtGames Atari stuff is fantastic though and I'm not as clued up on 2600 as I am with Mega Drive so small issues I probably wouldn't notice anyway

Practically unplayable is hyperbole. Is it a great dpad? Nope. But it was also a cheap system. Not sure why people expect gold for the price of tin. Sound isn't great but doesn't make the ears bleed either.

If you buy a Blast don't get pissed when it isn't just like the actual thing or whatever. Because the last time I checked these were not the actual things. If it wasn't for Johns Namco review I would have expected more of the NES roms on that.