Photo

Why is the Xbox One Dashboard experience so horrible?

38 replies to this topic

#26 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,751 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 10:18 AM

I notice no one here has volunteered the info on how to start an inserted disk when the tile isn't there. Maybe nobody knows. :lol: 

#27 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,270 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 5:23 PM

Only way I've found is eject and reinsert the disc. Or have your system set up to play discs automatically.

OR you can not auto log in. I find the ui when not logged in is a LOT better (probably how it should be normally tbh) you can find stuff then and log in after selecting the game.

#28 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,751 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:26 PM

Only way I've found is eject and reinsert the disc. 

Yep.. same here. You have to eject and re-insert.   It's ridiculous there isn't a simple "play disc" option somewhere that anyone can find.

#29 power OFFLINE  

power

Star Raider

• 85 posts

Posted Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:32 PM

the only thing good about xbox has been the team designing the hardware (specifically their great cooling unlike the PS4 dustbuster), the dashboard is hideous and just awful - why let me have a background and then cover it up with trash?

and the IR remote - WHY!?

I can work everything it's just painful to do so.

#30 PlaysWithWolves ONLINE  

PlaysWithWolves

Stargunner

• 1,567 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 3:06 AM

Yep.. same here. You have to eject and re-insert.   It's ridiculous there isn't a simple "play disc" option somewhere that anyone can find.

For me, any game disc I've left in the slot shows up automatically (with proper cover art) on the bottom of my home page--even if it's been weeks since playing.  We normally eject movies after watching them, but I just tried a DVD:  I left it in, ran several other apps to ostensibly push it off the home tab but a blue icon with two discs remained in the same spot the game art would.  The moment I removed the disc, it disappeared. I didn't test a BluRay to see if it had cover art.

I'll grant I don't know if it was a setting I made sometime or if it happens naturally.  I also have the BluRay app pinned in the "apps&games" area, but I don't recall ever needing to go to it.

In this screenshot they probably have Recore in the disc slot, as that bottom-middle spot is where it remains on my home page so long long as the disc is there:

xboxone-2017-home-dashboard1.jpg

#31 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,751 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:43 AM

For me, any game disc I've left in the slot shows up automatically (with proper cover art) on the bottom of my home page--even if it's been weeks since playing.  

Thanks.. and yes that is how it is when it's working.  I'm not sure what it is I do (maybe when switching disks frequently.?) But seems every so often I'd have a disc in there and can't find a tile for it.. so I have to get up and eject/re-insert and it mostly shows up after that. Worst case, I have to restart the entire xbone.

#32 PlaysWithWolves ONLINE  

PlaysWithWolves

Stargunner

• 1,567 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 9:24 AM

Thanks.. and yes that is how it is when it's working.  I'm not sure what it is I do (maybe when switching disks frequently.?) But seems every so often I'd have a disc in there and can't find a tile for it.. so I have to get up and eject/re-insert and it mostly shows up after that. Worst case, I have to restart the entire xbone.

Yuck!  We don't switch discs much so I don't know if that'd show up if we did.  That'd be frustrating.

If it's for movies, I guess I can only suggest pinning the BluRay app to the Apps&Games screen.  Then run that if it doesn't auto-play.

Definitely not defending Microsoft.  You'd think that for such a customer base they'd be able to design something nicer.  Maybe even home screen templates that are either geared more for gamers or more toward movie watchers who occasionally game. 

#33 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 842 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 10:23 AM

Definitely not defending Microsoft.  You'd think that for such a customer base they'd be able to design something nicer.  Maybe even home screen templates that are either geared more for gamers or more toward movie watchers who occasionally game. 

It's not just Xbox One, but all of Windows 10 that MS keeps screwing over. Each update makes the system unuseable it's at a point where the "latest update" destroys your files!  And they've been known for promising new features only to pulling them out later (yeah looking at you Cortana...).  Like Snap multitasking, right at a time where gamers now want to watch Twitch streaming right next to the game they're playing.

I know that Windows 10 is suppose to be a vertical scrolling UI (ie Start Menu/Screen) but it just does not work on the X1 running on a widescreen display. In fact MS has nothing for TV interfaces since getting rid of Windows 8 other than a confusing Xbone UI...

Edited by MrMaddog, Fri Nov 9, 2018 10:26 AM.

#34 thetick1 OFFLINE  

thetick1

Dragonstomper

• 617 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:12 PM

It seems that a lot of Microsoft UI lately is geared toward touch screen or *shudder* the Kinect.  I think this means big blocks that can be easily pressed instead of smaller icons or lists which might be easier to navigate with mouse or controller.  I think this has contributed to the jumbled interface and confusing layout.  I have a computer with Windows 10 and its UI gives me fits sometimes.  I need to look into seeing if there's a way to change it to look like 2000 or XP or NT or just about anything else...

https://www.howtogee...like-windows-7/

Oh back to the topic.  I never owned a Microsoft console and it's extremely unlikely I ever will. 

Edited by thetick1, Fri Nov 9, 2018 7:13 PM.

#35 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,270 posts

Posted Fri Nov 9, 2018 8:29 PM

That screenshot up there is actually how my xbone looks, when I'm NOT logged in. That's why I suggested not auto login. Not sure why it changed, but I don't use or even know what more than half the shit on my home screen even is. I'm the only one who has ever used it, so it's not friends/family messing with settings. Only thing I've ever done is look for a way to get rid of things (I've found none) ms ui on computer sucks too, but at least there I can flick unused icons off the main screen, which helps alot.

#36 Lost Dragon OFFLINE  

Lost Dragon

River Patroller

• 3,414 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:18 AM

Quoted for truthfulness!!

Best console dashboard i have ever used and they took it away

#37 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 9,270 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:46 PM

Best console dashboard i have ever used and they took it away

I know of nobody that didn't at least like the blade dash. So clean, easy to navigate, and imo looked awesome too.

#38 NE146 OFFLINE  

NE146

Dumbass Atari Fan

• 15,751 posts

Posted Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:54 PM

I still have a brand new xbox 360 Jasper model which still has the old dash.. I never ended up using it. 

#39 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Dragonstomper

• 842 posts
  • Not a 'gamer' but a video game player...

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:55 AM

I know of nobody that didn't at least like the blade dash. So clean, easy to navigate, and imo looked awesome too.

/me raises hand...

The blades do look cool.  But when I use the thumbstick or D-pad to go up or down, I hit the diagonals by mistake and keep switching blade screens loosing my place.

Still the blade dash is way bettter than the current ad tiles, and I do miss the New Xbox Experience. :(

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users