IGNORED

Jaguar analog joystick

Mitch

I remember a few years back there were a few places that sold an analog joystick that would work with the early Jaguars. I think it was a modified PC Gravis joystick. Does anyone still sell them? I can't seem to find them for sale anymore.

Mitch

I have an early K series Jag that has the AD chip so I am good there. Battlesphere is the game I want to play but I just can't get into it with the jag controllers. I played too many space sims on the PC back in the day and I can't transition to the jag pads for that style game, for whatever reason. I suppose I could mod one myself if I ever find the time. I was hoping someone had one laying around that they weren't using.

Mitch

I could be wrong (in fact I hope Im wrong lol) but I dont think the Gravis stick worked in analogue mode for the Jag.

I wonder (hope) if the details for analogue input are out there. I vaguely remember seeing the info somewhere. Following from that, I think the best way to do it would be to have an adapter that allows a PC (or N64 maybe) pad/stick plugged in as well as a Jag controller because, even with mapping of the fire and other main buttons, players would need access to the number pad. Beyond that, cannabilising a PC joystick and a Jag pad using an arcade joystick box or similar to accomodate the lot wouldnt be massively difficult, it would just involve a lot of wires and soldering.

It would be a fun little project, and I for one would love to play Battlesphere with an analogue stick, but the value proposition vs time and difficulty to get it working would need to be weighed up. Additionally, is analogue input supported by default, or is a code required? I cant remember that either lol.

I am pretty sure it is the Gravis Blackhawk analog PC joystick that was modded for use on the Jag. It plugs into the second port, you use one of the codes in Battlesphere to activate it. I believe you are able to use three buttons as well on the analog joystick for Battlesphere.

If I do mod it myself I will likely just pick up a replacement jag controller cable from Best so that I don't have to kill a Jag pad. It seems like NOS Gravis Blackhawk joysticks are not that hard to find either.

Mitch

• Like 1

Do you know the serial numbers range or limit?

Unfortunately not ; I never found any info in the Atari documents, besides a generic warning about the analog inputs no longer being supported.

The only thing that's pretty sure is that all Jaguars with working analog inputs are early K series NTSC models.

If you can use a soldering iron, it's possible to add the analog inputs yourself:

http://www.mdgames.de/janalog.html

I have an early K series Jag that has the AD chip so I am good there. Battlesphere is the game I want to play but I just can't get into it with the jag controllers. I played too many space sims on the PC back in the day and I can't transition to the jag pads for that style game, for whatever reason. I suppose I could mod one myself if I ever find the time. I was hoping someone had one laying around that they weren't using.

Mitch

If you are talking about a game port style Analog stick the pots are used as variable resistors to charge a capacitor, for the Jaguar they will need to act like a Variable resistor with one end connected to +5V and the other to 0V. The other consideration is that you need to sequence the buttons so that they can only be read on the correct row strobe otherwise they will be doing things you do not want them to.

I could be wrong (in fact I hope Im wrong lol) but I dont think the Gravis stick worked in analogue mode for the Jag.

I wonder (hope) if the details for analogue input are out there. I vaguely remember seeing the info somewhere. Following from that, I think the best way to do it would be to have an adapter that allows a PC (or N64 maybe) pad/stick plugged in as well as a Jag controller because, even with mapping of the fire and other main buttons, players would need access to the number pad. Beyond that, cannabilising a PC joystick and a Jag pad using an arcade joystick box or similar to accomodate the lot wouldnt be massively difficult, it would just involve a lot of wires and soldering.

It would be a fun little project, and I for one would love to play Battlesphere with an analogue stick, but the value proposition vs time and difficulty to get it working would need to be weighed up. Additionally, is analogue input supported by default, or is a code required? I cant remember that either lol.

As I recall from the brief time I had a copy (I could not get on with it) BattleSphere does not need a code for Analogue, you just select it from the options menu although it really should have supported bankswitching devices instead as that would have made analogue mode available to all, not just those few with the ADC's fitted as well as being the official method of analogue support which is why the ADC's were later omitted.

You are correct about using an adaptor I think it is the simplest solution and was my first Jaguar project. My version uses a PIC so anyone reproducing it would need a PIC programmer (and maybe add an ICSP header), and possibly create a new PCB layouts as I am not sure how good the PDF's would be for recreating the PCB's but if anyone wants to try building one or use it as a pointer for your own design just PM me for the files. It outputs the raw analogue values and converts them digital so the stick can double as the D-pad, although I never got to try the analogue output as my Jags do not have the ADC's.

Edited by Stephen Moss