Hi,

I'm new here. I am interested in creating a simple 2 player fighting game similar to Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. I was wondering before I started coding, how feasible this would be due to the VCS's hardware limitations. I have been reading Andrew Davies tutorial series on the forum as well as have some knowledge of 6502 and M68000 assembly.

Had the same idea years ago (more in the vein of Yie ar kung fu though), but the biggest difficulty here is the lack of "sprite width" the VCS has to have moves that

Do some mock ups, and you will notice that it's difficult to overcome that if you don't want to have a flickering mess.

It is possible, but the constraints the 2600 impose make it difficult to create a detailed fighting game.

The YouTube video doesnt do it justice, because the developer forgot to change the output to Phosphorus mode (I think)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8GPwjZJtuYw

You can download the binary from the WIP thread

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252439-street-fighter-2600/

Using multiple screen grabs, I crafted these representations of my Street Fighter clone.

SF2600A.png

SF2600B.png

SF2600C.png

SF2600D.png

SF2600E.png

SF2600F.png

SF2600G.png

Game will be ready soon!!

Thanks for all the input, I guess since someone already thought of it not to mention the difficulty of getting it to work for a seasoned developer, I will consider doing something simpler. Considering how difficult it turned out to overcome, and the fact I'm a newbie to the Atari 2600 scene I might do a different genre. Stay tuned! Meanwhile, I'll complement the developer on a job well done in the thread link you posted.

A fighting game with only one button is easily doable. Many of the 8bit fighting games and the translations of arcade games to those platforms only used 1 button.,

I'm thinking of games for the C64, A8, ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC like IK+, Yei Ar Kung Fu, Exploding fist, Renegade.

Sometimes you have to adapt to your platform.