Photo

[WIP] Bag Boy - Atari 2600

4 replies to this topic

#1 KevKelley OFFLINE  

KevKelley

Space Invader

• 29 posts
  • Lots of hobbies, little time, loads of fun.

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 5:28 AM

I had originally created a thread in the Homebrew forum but I got to thinking that maybe a more appropriate venue for my posts would be in this thread since I am still working on the game and am still quite new to bB and will undoubtedly run into issues.  I am a fan of the trial and error method of programming and have been trying to wrap my brain around some of the concepts, however frustrating that may be.

Anyway, here is my latest update.  I am still trying to work out a couple things.  

First, I got sprite animation for player0 but cannot figure out why every once and a while he glides around like Gumby.  I am assuming this has something to do with holding down a direction.

The main thing I am trying to work on is the "power ups."  I use the ball sprite to randomly appear and intend on it to randomly change color.  Depending on the color it will have certain effects (i.e. add score, faster/slower movement, copies of sprite, etc) but I cannot seem to get it to work properly.  

Once I get that working then I can work on the details of the "power ups."

If I can get power ups to work, then I will add the 2 "levels," which basically change to a snowy or rainy playfield.  All those do are just alter the movement of the cart or player.

Here is the latest version, and as in my previous posts, I apologize about my sloppy code.  I hope to improve over time to make more efficient or better routines.

Attached Files

#2 KevKelley OFFLINE  

KevKelley

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 5:39 AM

Just deleted the if line in the sprite animation for up or down movement and that seemed to solve the Gumby movement.  

#3 KevKelley OFFLINE  

KevKelley

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 5:43 AM

Also, I am sure I will have to use bankswitching but am a little confused about implementation. I played around with a 16k bankswitching scheme and got it to work but I noticed the lives and status bar would not load and that area was blank. The code for that was in bank 2. For now I was leaving everything alone until I can figure it out.

#4 Karl G OFFLINE  

Karl G

Dragonstomper

• 532 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 7:10 AM

Minikernels need to be defined in the last bank in a multibank project.

#5 KevKelley OFFLINE  

KevKelley

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2018 7:19 AM

Thanks.  I figured it had to be some issue of which bank they needed to go into.  I just wasn't sure which.  

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users